Dominator Gyroplane For Sale

I cant understand why this hasn't sold at the asking price.

It out performs any other single seater.

Look at what other single seat kit manufacturers are charging for their kits.

This is the ultimate handling and performing gyro out there

OK Ron ......are you sure that's what he wants to do ?

So his window of oportunity on getting a fixed wing will be closing ?

I gotta say this....my friend just got a real nice MD500E chopper ! I went to look at it & was blown away.

I am glad to know that it will forever be out of my reach to own one.....I am happy with my little gyro because I only fly for fun.....& really ....what is more fun than a gyro ?

I have seen my older brother go through phases of buying & selling & changing hobbies & can never really " find what he is looking for " . After all these years , I still have my little gyro ! He has nothing to fly....but has a helicopter rating & a fixed wing rating..........maybe he can wipe his ass with those.

I am always curious as to what people are going to get with the money they get for their last aircraft.

There is no shame in leaving the sport, you first have to be able to admit it !

Why did Matt rebuild/convert his 2 place Dominator into a single place ?

There is alot to be said for renting an airplane, right ?

Last edited:
"-Rotax 618 75 H.P. with "C" box and Centrifugal Clutch Package. Engine was completely rebuilt by Lockwood Aviation and has less than 20 hours on it. This engine is worth a mint alone."

How much is a mint ?

How much without the 618 ? (which is no longer made )

How do you define " leaving the sport" ?

I still like fishing but I never get to go ! ( I even have all my fishing gear yet ! )

As I was working towards my goal of having my own helicopter, I had an RAF and a SparrowHawk which of course could fly two people. If my wife would have loved flying, I would NEVER have anything but a 2 place, but she hates to fly. I soon tired of taking dozens of people up for gyro rides and exposing my family to the extra liability of doing so, and the expense of barely insuring that 2nd seat. Any type of accident hurting a passenger would have endangered my wifes financial future, and mine if I survived! I knew my next rotorcraft would be a Helicycle. The opportunity presented itself, I sold my SparrowHawk for enough to buy my Helicycle kit, pay for my helicopter rating, and put money in the bank. Since I started flying it, I have absolutely no thoughts whatsoever of acquiring any other type of rotorcraft. My point is that we are all wired differentlly, and what suits me and my needs won't be the same for all the individuals out there. That's why there are pilots that fly fixed wing, hot air balloons, jet packs, flying suits, trikes, powered parachutes, gyros, and helicopters. I am glad we all aren't fascinated by the same type of aircraft. I feel so fortunate to be flying my dream machine, and I love seeing others flying the machine that makes their dream come true as well. Such diversity!!! Stan

Last edited:
Stan you do have a dream machine ! ( very affordable also !)

I try to be realistic with my money & what I can afford. I have worked hard for what I have & I just want to enjoy them now.

I need to simplify & minimize my life & smell the roses. What does the future of this country look like ? I don't know but it sure is interesting.

I have way too many things to take care of & maintain, that it stresses me out !

I would like to see Matt sell his Gyro to some lucky person & get his own dream machine & fly all over the world in it !

Share the dream ! I really don't have any right now , except to hit the lottery for millions.........then I could dream again !

Chris- you have a beautiful well built SxS Air Command under way, and I look forward to seeing you fly with both seats occupied. That is your machine with a lot of your heart put into it. Somtimes other people achieve a goal, have their dream machine, but then have a void of not having a goal left to achieve, and they move on to a new goal. My goal now is to never wake up from the dream I am in, and just savor the experience. Many here do just that. Chris, you have a very satisfied disposition about yourself, aand that alone has a lot of value. Stan

If this thread keeps up then it might just pass up Stans helicycle thread in views!

BTW... because I have had at least a dozens ask about putting a pod on it, i will include a factory purchased unpainted pod within the asking price. Consider that a 600.00 discount and you keep the small instrument pod. With the pod Ernie said it is easily a 100+mph cruiser and comfortable too.

A stock RFD performance model complete machine with pod new is in the neighborhood of 25k....do the math.

Last edited:
Stan, you are right ! The SxS is still my dream.......just delayed a bit. I also have my health (I think) & that is important too .

Right now I am just preparing for what lies ahead.....WINTER ! I hate it. We really just did not get alot of good weather this spring & summer. Maybe we will get an extended fall.

My 88 Subaru lost a timing belt, I am now driving my 82 GMC pickup & the tailgate linkage broke. I did get my mom's pool winterized & covered but we will need a new cover real soon. We patched this one as good as possible. I was cutting her grass the other night & the throttle cable broke.....rigged it & finished the job !

Went to open my garage door the other night & bang.....Had to fix that. Just new cables.

Went to make a pizza in my oven a few nights ago....oven not getting hot. Pulled her out & found the problem...main power connection to elements, to the circuit board fried off. New board $168.....I am having the board fixed cheap....hope it works !

If it ain't one thing , it's another !

I am also pre digging the graves for my 2 old dogs, Spike & Scarlet. Very hard for me to do, but I don't see them making it through the winter. At least the holes will be dug .

Life goes on !

thanks Gryomike...you make my point....and you still fly a gyro also, correct? I know the C-140 is cozy with two, but I know you enjoy every minute you get to share flying and flying in a classic airplane with someone.

I still have my Bensen, and I have a Dominator project I have been slowly pecking away at. The gyro is fun to fly, but lack the utility and creature comforts of the plane. I still rather the gyro for goofing around over open fields though.

I don't take a lot of passengers with me in the Cessna, but if someone wants to go flying I at least have the option. It'll cruise at a little over 100 mph with ~350mile range (but my butt-meter gets pegged after about two hours...need some Tempur-foam for the seats). I can fly it in the winter, or at night too.

Some people prefer gyros over planes, or planes over gyros.
I like them both, but for different reasons.

And I didn't post this to talk down Matt's gyro, or his price. I'm sure it's a fine machine with plenty of power. Matt's right that you couldn't build one for that price...unless you're a damn good scrounger and don't put any value on the time spent cutting out parts. I'm sure that the right buyer will find his way to Matt's gyro.

Ron, are you in the process of leaving the sport?

Kai.

No, not at all. Flew the gyro ( broken leg and all, was a bitch to get up into the seat! ) twice in the last week....

The reality for me is I just am not consumed with it like I was in the past. I still enjoy my time flying and being involved with the hobby, but I have been focused on my dirt bike racing hobby more so lately.

Back when I first got into flying ( mid 90's ) I had multiple hobbys, and somehow had the time and energy to do it all each week and weekend..... would manage to fit in a day on the lake on the boat, with a few hours of flight time, a ride of some sort... perhaps a poker run, on the street bike, and a day spent in the dirt on my atv....

By the time I got involved with gyros, I didn't do off road riding anymore, and I didn't ride the street bike much, and here in the carolinas the boating season was less than half the year. And in 2003 I sold the boat..... For about 4-5 years, Flying was my only hobby. So all my free time was spent at the airport, or loaded up heading to one fly-in or another. And my free time at home was spent glued to the computer monitor, posting away on the forum here.

By 2007 I started moving back into old hobbys, bought a jet ski... bought a dirtbike.... got a new street bike... A year or two later got rid of the jet ski and bought a boat.. Year after year, I have spent less and less time out at the airport and more and more time on the bikes or boat. This year alone, I would say I am at less than 30 hours flight time logged, this is gyro and plane combined. Even just two years ago, I would easily do 200-300 hours per year.

I still love flying, and as cheap as it is to keep my machines and hangar, even if I only fly 30-50 hours a year, I don't plan to get out anytime soon. I am sure things will change for me.... one more bad injury on the dirt bike and I may hang the towel on that, that would put me out at the airport much more often. No I am not getting out at all. If I were to sell my gyro, much like I am sure Matt would plan to do, I'd build something light, cheap and simple, to still be able to get some gyro flying done.

what a thread for Matt.....wow!!

Just for the record...when I first saw a gyro fly I thought it was the neatest thing in the air....that was at the EAA convention held in Rockford, IL back in the mid-60's and I was around 8 years old then. It has taken me over 40 years to position myself to enjoy gyro flying. I have no plans on stopping. Currently, I own two gyros...so you can say I do have a sorta passion for gyro’s. However, neither gyro is anywhere near what Matt has. Why, I think I might even be a bit embarrassed to have my gyro sitting next to Matt's. One more thing. Matt and I belong to the same Chapter. I have seen Matt fly a lot over the past few years and I respect and like Matt. Seeing his work is "top shelf". Our chapter is lucky to have him as a member. Easy to talk to, and a lot of knowledge to share. Nuff said about Matt. I have tried to encourage everyone in the club to get their Private Pilot license or Sport Pilot license…to become a legal pilot and to get their gyro legal. I think Matt and Adam would agree with this. Matt has become a Private Pilot and Adam has taken lessons. Another in our club is now a current Private Pilot. Interestingly, Chuck hasn’t posted here yet…hmmm Chuck too, is a licensed pilot.

For me, flying the gyro is purely for me, a selfish act. It satisfies a dream, a very long dream come true. The fuel cost to fly one hour in my gyro is equivalent to flying a small airplane for an hour since engine size is about the same. Both gyro and aircraft excite me for what each brings to the table. I am not in love with gyro's nor am I in love with airplanes...I am in love with flight...controlling an aircraft in 3 dimensions because we live in a two dimensional world. It's exhilarating to be flying....no matter what a person uses to get him into the air....less than 1% of the population have chosen to experience what all of us do....we are all a special breed of man.

These, now 8 pages began because I said to Matt that the market was narrow, winter is approaching and if he really wanted to sell his gyro and had an offer close to his listing price, although a bit lower than he wanted, perhaps he should still consider it and sell his gyro then move on to the next thing he wanted to do with the money....from that here we are...I, to a small degree now understand how Dennis feels from time to time when he says something on this forum....sorry Dennis for dragging your name into my post.....

Why don't you go to all the for sale listings and tell everyone that looks there that for the same money they could buy a airplane...... Thom has his RAF listed for 35 grand, That will buy two Cessa 150's and some change left over. Animal has a helicopter for sale for near 30 grand, again.... can buy a Beech and a old relic low rider aircommand for that amount..... why single out Matt and his gyro?

I have now officially grown tired of trying to defend a single thought eight pages ago.....which has, if one goes back to read will see the sincerity in the thought. A thought in which no malice was intended on my part, just an honest comment, and if further reading is done one would see I am a big supporter of Matt and the endeavor before him....accordingly, this is my last post......because it has become obvious to even the most casual observer that some that have posted here just don't get it.

I still want to know about the "opportunity & idea" that Matt wants to pursue is all about.

Matt, how can you sell your gyro & not "not get out of gyros in the least bit " ?

Do you have another one ?

I would keep the gyro ( which could never be replaced for that amount ) & pursue your dream with other funding .

The world may never know !

FYI, I have ordered a pod for the machine and will be installing it in the upcoming month. It will be painted white to match the tail and have the instuments in the dash. Price will remain at $19,000, as a new factory machine with fewer options than this machine is over $25,000.

Thanks,

Matt