Do people build anymore?

Brian Jackson

Platinum Member
Aircraft
GyroBee Variant - Under Construction
Have folks quit building gyros in the last 10 years? I think in general, societally, we've moved away from being garage tinkerers. I don't know of any neighbors with even modest workshops anymore. I had an interesting phone discussion with a well respected member here a few months ago where this topic came up. The 'Builders Corner' on this forum used to be frequented and updated quite often. I post occasionally, as do 1 or 2 others, but activity there has diminished to a trickle. I'm wondering if other builders just don't post here anymore or if this is the trend as we move further into a culture of Facebook "life-hacks" rather than learning new skills.

I saw this as a problem when they came out with the eurotubs. Just go buy yourself a nice new shinny machine and not have to know how it works. It was taken the gyro culture in the wrong direction I think, but you cant stop progress. I am still building, but one of the few. My 2 cents.

I'm building.....on and on....and on!! :)

I finished my fourth gyro around the end of September and am flying it now. I'm helping Jeff Halash build his Hornet in our hangar, and I stop by and talk to Curtis Scholl on his Bee from time to time. I used to post my builds on the Pile o' parts thread but switched to posting progress on my Facebook page for the last build.

I'm still waiting on a hardware set from StarBee. Whenever I get hold of Dana, he promptly disappears again. It takes years...

For my Gyrobee build I have:

NOS 503 SCSI engine (I just gave it new wrist pin bearings, gaskets etc.)
NOS 23' Skywheels rotor
Used rotor head
New Calumetair seat tank
New Warp Drive 3 blade 60" propeller
Almost all aluminum for the frame
Instruments - even a radio

But I can't get that hardware set nor anything else from StarBee....

I would rather buy parts i know will fit, but it seems impossible.

Cheers
Erik

Attachments

• image_131413.jpg
    image_131413.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 31
  • image_131414.jpg
    image_131414.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 30
Well this is encouraging :) Glad to know there is activity, and the infrequency of build threads on RWF isn't necessarily an accurate reflection of the state of affairs. Haven't Facebooked in many years so I'm bound to have missed a lot.

I do like the daring and romanticism of building a ship from skill and know-how, I think that may have been part of the attraction for me, poring over antique issues of Sport Aviation in my youth, and marveling at these wonderful creations given life by sheer determination. Though my build is entering year 3 of the allotted 18 months max., I have to step back from time to time and see the bigger picture. There's perhaps 2,000 photos documenting each step of construction though I've only posted a miniscule fraction here. Have gotten some very good guidance by Jake, Doug and others here as a result.

I would expect the proliferation of kits and certified AC to steal a large chunk of the scratch-builder population, and perhaps that partly explains why the Builder's Corner here on RWF has been relatively quiet. Though I am guilty of infrequent posting of progress photos (will do better from now on), I do miss the days when there were almost daily updates on people's builds. I will start by posting more of my own and maybe encouraging others to as well.

Most of the gyroplanes flying in the USA are amateur built.

Building from a kit is still no small task and lots of skills are learned.

I find the care and skill that goes into many of the builds an inspiration.

Most I see have significant builder additions.

There is perhaps less repetitive basic fabrication with a kit than scratch building.

I feel there is no less thought and energy to building a gyroplane from a kit compared to scratch built.

I have a lot of respect for anyone who builds and flies their own gyroplane scratch built or kit.

I still have a couple of projects in the works, an ultralight and a 2 place, Since I have finished the dominator. I have not been posting any build pics since my time has been so sporadic over the last couple of years, maybe as I get closer to finishing I will post a build thread, that way people can read it without having to wait 6 months for something new to happen. :)

Scottie, I went to my first Oshkosh last year and was just blown away by the amount of building activity in the FW world. Granted many are from kits, but even then the kits required much more actual basic building skills then what is required to assemble most Eurogyro kits.

Just curious: how many people willing to build a gyro “from scratch” have already built a car or motorcycle “from scratch”, especially one that’s street-legal (i.e. equivalent to an EAB aircraft)? I don’t mean RE-build - I mean the same level of metal work, etc as one would do for a gyro strictly from plans. I don’t see a lot of people making even off-road vehicles “from scratch” yet the number of people willing to do so for an aircraft, although still a small number, still surprises me. The cost of being wrong is a lot higher for the latter, it seems.

Personally, I love to tinker and I love to fly but I have a healthy respect for the risks of flying so I personally choose to satisfy the urge to tinker in any big way on things outside of aviation.

So I don’t mind the barbs tossed here about building one of the eurotubs. In fact, I’d contend that having done it in the factory surrounded by guys who build them every day gave me a level of understanding about the craft a solo plans-builder would have a hard time equaling. I asked a lot about design, maintenance, what else has been tried, failure modes, etc.

Regardless of how you get into a gyro, GET GOOD TRAINING before you fly alone!!!

Just me...

/Ed

I used to build motorcycles, I have a couple custom One off chopped bikes. I have restored cars swapped engines all that stuff since way back in the 1980's.
Aircraft are a little bit different animal for sure. YES training is paramount, it is worth 10 times the cost when something goes wrong and you have been trained to deal with it.

I used to build motorcycles, I have a couple custom One off chopped bikes. I have restored cars swapped engines all that stuff since way back in the 1980's.
Aircraft are a little bit different animal for sure. YES training is paramount, it is worth 10 times the cost when something goes wrong and you have been trained to deal with it.

I'm building a single seat EA81 powered gyro. It should be on its wheels next week. Tinkering is half the fun. Plenty of locals here that build vehicles, mainly hot cars and jet boats.

My Bensen was the first object I built out of metal. Before that, I banged together shacks and treehouses out of scrap lumber and raw logs. I skipped the motorcycle thing and only gradually learned about car mechanicking.

The post-WWII culture of "Dad smoking his pipe while tinkering in his hobby hut" has definitely gone the way of tailfins on cars. Heathkit is gone, Radio Shack is gone.

You could write an interesting pop-sociology book about why - - the evaporation of good-paying blue-collar jobs, the passing of the hard-scrabble Great Depression ethic, the scarcity of people who grew up on farms, digital distractions, instant delivery from Amazon, 9/11 and the rise of unfocused fear, blah, blah. Great stuff for a late-night dorm room bull session.

The FAA's amateur-built regs, a relic of that bygone era, have become a loophole through which uncertified, but factory-finished, aircraft can be sold as "kits." They're really complete aircraft, knocked down for shipping and reassembled by the user. As long ago as the original Air Command, you could put one together in paint-by-number fashion over a weekend, popping precut and pre-painted parts off a series of large blister cards and bolting them on.

A person who completes one of these "kits" has a better understanding of his aircraft than someone who just writes a check and turns the key. In fact, you can argue that drilling the holes in the tubing yourself doesn't add much to the education you get with an assembly-only "kit." Still, it's not quite as immersive as Paul Poberezny sawing and welding salvaged 4130 into an original-design tube-and-rag biplane. That was the sort of project that the amateur-built regs were aimed at.

There will always be some scratch-builders (some for the personal rewards and others to save a buck), but it's far more of a quaint curiosity than it once was.

She looks beautiful jm-urbani!

I see lots of nicely executed details.

Thank you for sharing the fun.

I am sure you know this and am only mentioning it for others.

The Dragon Wings are very light and heavier blades will need changes in the layout to achieve an acceptable thrust line to center of gravity relationship.

A bit of history for you guys. My Uncle and I spent 3 years building his homebuilt airplane. Every Saturday all day. I was 12 years old when he took me up for the first time after he knew it was safe to fly. If I am being honest I just asked him a million questions which he patiently answered and gathered whatever tools of materials he needed, while he showed me what everything was and why.
It was the first time I had ever flown in an airplane. I fell in love right then and there with aviation. The feeling in your stomach when you lift off the ground, watching the earth fall away from you, the houses and people getting smaller and smaller, higher and higher until you touch the clouds.

I am finally old enough and have the means to build my own and I have a kid of my own now and would like nothing more than to share my love of aviation with her. I also love gyroplanes and have flown in them twice and I love them more than airplanes so I am looking for a tandem build.
I was thinking about the parsons tandem which is a little scary for me being completely open.
Or
The FR140 which is partially enclosed but I can't find plans for.
Any suggestions or ideas for a better plans built 2 seater would be much appreciated.

Thank you everyone, I am happy I found a dedicated group of people who share their passion and experience. Thank you.