Direct Injection 2 Strokes

NO, seems like aircraft technology at least in the engines, lags way behind.
Rotax only makes the 582 in a 2 stroke now, I can't see them re tooling and spending the money just for the aircraft line, I may be wrong, but I wouldn't bet on it.
Youd be better off getting a fuel injected arctic cat, not direct injection, but proven and reliable.

What do you think of these engines, Scott ?

I only WISH that would bolt-in on my Mini-500 without any modifications

That engine is awesome! Direct injection on some of the 2 stroke outboards is cleaner than a 4 stroke.
The Redive would be the issue, since rotax got smart and took off the extra meat around the crank snout so you can't mount a redrive on a sled engine like it used to be.
I would love to see someone put one of these engines on a gyro, you still cant beat the power to weight ratio of a 2 stroke. Especially cool if it is like the arctic cat injection, where it does not need a battery and is powered by the Magneto.

I just took the plunge and bought a 225hp Etec for my party boat.
Haven't mounted it on the boat yet, but hope to this weekend.
I love the technology, they sound just like a four stroke when they idle.
The exhaust is almost odorless. I was already thinking about their V-4 model,
Perhaps it could be mated to a reduction? With the injection, it could run mounted horizontally?

My Etec outboards will start without a battery but they are 864 cc two cylinder so it takes a good pull on the rope , even after all winter sitting it will start on the first pull, the first one that I bought has over 1200 hours and I have had no problems with it.
Norm

I,m sure that if you wanted to use one for aircraft use there is a way to mount a redrive on it. I see several thread cavity bosses in the block that a bracket could be built to support a redrive! the advantage of this engine is direct injection, no burn off of fuel spraying on the back of a valve, plus the fact of fuel efficiency by injecting direct into the cyl, better air fuel mixture means more power! the engine should have a longer run time as well, no over fueling causing premature cyl, piston, and ring wear issues. 14/1 stochio metric fuel mixture is optimal and the processor keeps it there!!! Sweet engine!!!!

Yo, Mikey!
Forgot to ask if you were going to saw the oil injector off the new outboard and run premix.
If not, why not?
:boink:

Makes you wonder if you could adapt the top end to a provision eight case!

Can just throw a belt re-drive on it...easy peasy.

I,m sure that if you wanted to use one for aircraft use there is a way to mount a redrive on it. I see several thread cavity bosses in the block that a bracket could be built to support a redrive!

My Mini has a cogtooth pulley only. The only problem would be it's too tall.

The tail boom is only 1/8" above the 582's spark plug caps. The 618 won't even fit.
The fuselage is too skinny to tilt the engine and so there's no option here :(

Forgot to ask if you were going to saw the oil injector off the new outboard and run premix. If not, why not? :boink:

Why not: The fuel never goes through the crankcase. You'd have no oiling of the bottom end at all.

The 600cc (or so) version of this engine makes 115 HPO at 8100 RPM, and would be 75-80- HP at 6800 RPM with the stock exhaust. This looks like a really exciting possibility for single-place machines using a belt drive with a ratio of about 2.7.

Why not: The fuel never goes through the crankcase. You'd have no oiling of the bottom end at all.

The 600cc (or so) version of this engine makes 115 HPO at 8100 RPM, and would be 75-80- HP at 6800 RPM with the stock exhaust. This looks like a really exciting possibility for single-place machines using a belt drive with a ratio of about 2.7.

Yes, removing the oil injection would be a FINE idea.
At least as good an idea as removing it from your Rotax 2-stroke.

This engine IS a Rotax 2-stroke, Larry!

Paul...I watched the cartoon videos on Rotax/BRE's website and it appears that this a reed valve engine with dual throttle bodies/carbs or something???? Augmented by the top end "speaker coil" magnetic solenoid fuel injection.

I didn't read or look closely because I had a lot to do outside, but it looks like it is really some type of hybrid?

This engine IS a Rotax 2-stroke, Larry!

Paul...I watched the cartoon videos on Rotax/BRE's website and it appears that this a reed valve engine with dual throttle bodies/carbs or something???? Augmented by the top end "speaker coil" magnetic solenoid fuel injection.

I didn't read or look closely because I had a lot to do outside, but it looks like it is really some type of hybrid?

WHAT? The Etek Paul and I were discussing - and I was harassing Mike about - is a ROTAX? I learn something new every time you write.
Thank you for your valuable contribution.

:noidea:

I think a piezo fuel injector would have been less complicated myself. Less moving parts and smaller package.

The piezo fuel injector works fine for a lower pressure common rail system running less then 60 lbs of presser. The voice coil produces much more pressure, that is needed as there is less time for the fuel to atomize when it is injected after the exhaust port is closed.
The Rotax 600 HO SDI out of a 2006 REV GXS Ski-Doo that I'm using produces the same 115 Hp at 8000 RPM, and meats the pollution standards and gets the same mileage as the 4 stroke engines of similar Hp used in the snowmobiles. This engine uses a common rail system with 2 injectors per cylinder.

Last edited:
Do you think Rotax will be making these for aircraft ?

http://www.ski-doo.com/ca/technologies/engine-technologies/2-strokes

I understand all the workings and benefits of direct injection , no problem , my first question was how do they get lubrication (oil) to the crankcase

Watching the videos show oil is injected to "critical areas" (in the crankcase) ... sounds good

It leaves two remaining questions .... is oil also mixed with the fuel ?.... and does some of the oil mist in the crankcase end up being burned ? ... or both ?

Anyone know ?

Yes; In the Rotax no oil is mixed with the gas, it does eventually get carried into the cylinder and get burned. The new Arctic Cat 6000 C-TEC2 engine injects oil in both the gas and the crankcase.