Deer season

Don- You mentioned pheasant. Now that is a delicacy right up there with squirrel! My wife Barbara is so kind, that she insists I eat all the squirrels I shoot. What a woman, I get them all to myself. Stan

I haven't had squirrel yet, my wife says she makes a real mean squrell gravy...

Guns don't kill people, Tim, - people do.

I have a question. Is there any control how many deers a hunter is allowed to shoot?

The deer limits vary from State to State. I'm sure it is directly related to the deer populations. In some States the deer are overpopulated and don't have enough food to sustain the herds. Those areas allow more deer to be taken. Some States limit a hunter to one deer in the whole season while others allow a deer a day.

Dilemna

Dilemna

Eating flesh is so barbaric , un-civilized and beastly .
And guns are dirty , noisy , and dangerous . They serve no purpose in a civilized society .
Why if there were no gun's then there would be blissful peace throughout the land .

Well, I hate guns but love meat!

I could become a vegetarian for ecologic reasons; but at the same time, I think we need population controls over some species for ecologic equilibrium.

Even bouddhists eat meat in some limited acceptable circumstances...

I ain't even dead yet and you guys are splitting my $hlt .
I'm turning them into plows.
I have no idea what I'm going to do with all these plows.

I know you like hunting Stan, but pumping them too? Sicko...... HA!!:lol:

BTW, you weren't kidding about being a pro shot. I'm impressed. If I was half that good with my B.P. pistol, I might hunt with it.

And whats this about a hog? Wild one Bud? I've been wanting to bag one myself.

And Tim, Gary's messin' around. And he's making me laugh like crazy!!

South Ga. wild hog.Dressed out right at 210 lbs. A GREAT BIG hog.
I'll brine cure it for about 10 days and then inject it with a home made sugar cure, smoke it for about 10 days or two weeks at 90 to 110 degrees with apple and pecan wood. That will fix it up real good.
Then for breakfast a slice of that critter,a couple of our fresh yard eggs and a biscuit with guava butter, wow!

hey stan, my dad used to make the sickest deer jerky you've ever eat! sickest means goood! :) I used to dove hunt but the meat tasted like rank steak!

maintain them guns stan hopefully not like this fella! :lol:

YouTube - MAINTAIN your guns!

I must say that I am not a hunter but always when I am in Sweden I eat with pleasure the deer and elk meat. The only thing I can do is to pick up mashrooms from the forest. What a life
Here in Cyprus it is absolutely forbidden deer hunting, they are not many and prodected.

YouTube - älgjakt ståndskall skott.wmv

YouTube - Älgjakt Bleckås Luxor

Stan I wish you lucky..see below

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
That depends on the animal MasterRotor, most times it's the blood that gives the animal that "wild" taste. For instance, if you killed a farm raised chicken ( cut the head), skinned it, cleaned it, cut it up and threw it in a hot skillet streight away, you would never touch a store bought bird again.
Any animal that is allowed to bleed out will taste 100 better. The USDA requires beef to hang for 30 days before its offering to the public so it can bleed.

That depends on the animal MasterRotor, most times it's the blood that gives the animal that "wild" taste. For instance, if you killed a farm raised chicken ( cut the head), skinned it, cleaned it, cut it up and threw it in a hot skillet streight away, you would never touch a store bought bird again.
Any animal that is allowed to bleed out will taste 100 better. The USDA requires beef to hang for 30 days before its offering to the public so it can bleed.

My family butchers the beef that my dad raises every year and we only hang it for a week to 10 days. Taste better than any store bought. We do not hang it to let it bleed, we hang it to let it cure. The enzymes in the meat start to break it down and tenderize it naturally. It also changes the fat somehow so that it does not stick to the roof of your mouth.

Mmmm, Bambi Burger.

Jon- Shooting a tight group is like doing a lot of things. Your mind is a very powerful tool, and if its given the chance, much of the subtle reflexes that keep your sights on target become automatic, not much different than reflexes allowing you to fly a helicopter without thinking about it. Discipline, nothing but the correct sight picture, and then you squeeze it off, and not just pulling the trigger. The wind is a bit tricky. I would have wind flags to watch as just a 5 mph breeze will blow the ball off course enough to get it out of the black scoring rings. Muzzleloading projectiles go much slower than high powered modern stuff. In fact, if you are standing off to the side with a spotting scope, you can actually see the roundball arc up and back down into the Stan
Stan

You remind me of one of those people who know they will hit the target before they pull the trigger. This is a rare talent that very few people have.

Arnie

I usually will know when I have a good shot going down range and when I don't .

I found this post on another site that I think explains the bad taste difference between a clean kill and a chased one.

"Actually, it's Lactic acid that forms in the muscle tissue, not adrenalin, which is in the blood stream. Yes, a combination of things is responsible for your venison having a bitter taste, one, the build up of lactic acid will affect the taste, and two, a deer that is not field dressed very quickly so it can cool will have a more "gamey taste" to it. There are a few things that will help, one, after you make your shot, don't push after the animal right away. A wounded deer usually will go a short distance and then lay down and bleed out, but if you start tracking too quickly, the deer will continue to move. Secondly, of course, field dress it and get it cooled as quickly as possible. Heat is the worst enemy of fresh game. Third, if you suspect the meat will be stronger for any of the above reasons, you can quarter it and let it soak in a bathtub full of cold water with a little baking soda in it overnight. Then, hang it in a cool garage or meat locker for a couple of days, if the temps are below 40 degrees F. Again, keep it cool. Then rinse it down and butcher it as you normally would."

This was the best answer I could find in my 5 minute search.