Dave from IL, but military and travel

davh12

Aircraft
Few UAS on the "govy" side
Total Flight Time
none, except as LZ passenger and vertical "rope" descents
Stationed at FT Benning. Active Army, Infantry 2 deployments to Iraq. Still alive and kicking. Loved the rotorheads that helped us out in Iraq. Started my own design in rotorcraft. One patent. It's already started a little debate, but I enjoy everyone's feedback. If it does not work well, I will still post the crash video of the RC scale :eek:. One of my peers left the Infantry and went to the aviation side of the house...........almost finished w/ his training.

Dav

Welcome Dav,

Took Jump school at Ft Benning it was awhile back though. 1968

It has not changed. Still the 3 jump towers for the "opened" parachute drop. Never been myself. I went to air assault school in Hawaii and I really enjoyed rappelling from helicopters. I did no look pretty coming down the ropes, but made it ok

Dave

Dave,

If you want to checkout my gyro sometime you are welcome to. I am only about 60 miles from Fort Benning. I can hear the guns blasting at my house! I fly out of Americus GA ACJ.

Grant,

I might take you up on that. I got leave coming up and my wife and I own a home in Illinois and I have a fence to put up, but I'll be in touch. Thanx

Dave

Greetings and welcome to the forum Dave!
I'd take Grant up on that offer.

He is a first class person and friend and he has designed and built a very cool landing gear. That in itself is worth seeing.

Thank you for serving our country!!!

Last edited:
Thank you to all of you. Glad to be here.

Dave

Grant & "All In,

Thanx again. my email is post on my web

dave

Last edited:
FT Benning that brings back memories, Let me look for a photo, maybe you’re in this crowd. I use to love opening the doors while watching the student’s faces. I always loved flying over to FT Benning from Abilene

jumpers3.jpg

jumpers4.jpg

jumpers5.jpg

Wow do those photos bring back some long forgotten memories.

Here let me help your memory banks some more. Go get a loud vacuum cleaner and turn it on. Now go get a hair dryer and turn it on. Aim it right at your face, and don’t forget to turn it on full blast high/hot. Make sure your ears are between the wine of the vacuum motor, and the hot blast from the hair drier. Now close your eyes and rock side to side and back and forth, while remembering the smell of that stuff the janitor sprinkled on kiddy puke back in grammar school… Is your stomach churning yet? Occasionally open your eyes and look at the guys crammed into the back of Herkey. Continue this routine for 30 minutes.

Ironcowboy,

Nope not as of yet. Been to Air assault school, love rappeling out of helos. I might need foot surgery..bone spur, but should be healed up. I do want to knock out airborne while I'm stationed here. Thanx

Dav

Cort and Dave,

Those pix are at parachute school and I still remember my helment number...O-142. I believe that's over Fiar dropzone. Ft Benning brings back a lot of memories. My first two jumps were from a C-119 of the Alabama NG followed by two USAF C-130 and one South Carolina NG C-141. It was a load of fun!! After 18 months of falling out of them I decided it was safer to fly them. Little did I know.:eek:

Joe,

Yep..I never get sick flying nap of the eath in Black hawks and a few times in a UH1 Huey, but for some reason there is something about a C130 after about an hour and a half...I start getting queezy.......never yacked though. Did a couple of civy tandem sky dives......nice rush. We spend a bit of time around Friar drop zone ...training LT's....cherry Lt's. Then some of us get caught waiting until they finish dropping their sticks......or lawn darts ....hehe.

Dave

On my first jump I was so splattered with oil from the engines of the C-119 I had to throw my uniform away. Back then we wore solid green fatiques and steel helments not the BDU's and kevlar like today. It was much different then but you new guys are so much better than the old Army.

Joe,

Yep...things have changed alot, but Soldiers had a bit more discipline in your day.......little toughter back then. I remember basic training getting scuffed up watching under the bunks for the green jungle boots of the Drill Sergeant to go past the end wall lockers...........resting on my stomach..haha......we got smoked for a good period of time, but it built cohesion, so everyone looked out for the guy making the mistake trying to catch it before it happened. Now they're not allowed to scuff up new guys.....I think they're making them softer now.

Dave, welome... Good to see a fellow Grunt.... I was part of 7th SFG back in the days and did my Jump School and Ranger School there... I still dont like Ft. Benning.... I am in Ft. Hood, Tx now... switch from the foot soldiers to the mechanice soldiers (Tanks)... Work with CECOM as a civilian now.... So if you ever TDY around this place look me up...

Tep,

Ft Benning is a place for suck fest. Over 105 yesterday. Land Nav Today. New Lt's...hope they do not get lost.

Regards,

Dav