"DaScrew-Driver"

Going down in the trees, behind the power curve ain't no fun, ask me I'll tell ya.

Tall tail

Tall tail

On the subject of tail effectiveness with regard to torque-cancelling and spiralling slipstream, remember that the LW tail on John's machine has a full-span horizontal section centered in the propwash. This acts as a flow-straightener in the same way as a full-span vertical surface would.

Ron H. I have flown several gyros with short tails. None could hold a candle to how nice Johns Herron T tail flew. If I didn't want a tall tail, I would have yours in a heartbeat!

Ron,
Mr. DeGraw is the one who builds the tails for now. I doubt Dad had anyone else do the work.

Well unless I am missing a step in the process or something, then Dick messed up drilling my holes!!!! I know I spoke with your dad about it when I was building the machine, and I am pretty sure he told me these holes were drilled at the factory. It isn't a big deal..... Ask your dad about it. Maybe I am wrong here.

Ron Awad's Dominator tall tail

Ron Awad's Dominator tall tail

Say Ron:

Does your post about your tall tail mean that it wasn't built with a twist to counter-act torque on purpose? I was curious to hear more about it and see pictures if so and kept forgetting to ask you about this...

Last edited:
Kevin_Richey said:
Say Ron:

Does your post about your tall tail mean that it wasn't built with a twist to counter-act torque on purpose? I was curious to hear more about it and see pictures if so and kept forgetting to ask you about this...

Yes as far as I know the tail was supposed to have been built straight. It is off by a quarter of a inch. It isn't a big deal.

Attachments

• 14F04-5-11(16-21).jpg
    14F04-5-11(16-21).jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 1
See what you started Ron!

Now everyone is going to want a tail with a twist in it!

I guess Scott. John Stevens brought it up.....

just my two cents, but twist in the horizontal is not needed to counter P factor when your using a tall tail with stab in middle of propwash like on a Dominator tail.