Curved stairway installed

StanFoster

Aircraft
Helicycle N360SF
Total Flight Time
I cant find the original thread for this curved stairway that I just installed today. But, its been in my shop a couple of months longer than it should have been as I was waiting on the home to get other work done on it The contractor wanted all the upstairs work done so that all the trades wouldnt be trashing the stairway.

This is a freestanding unit, except where I had to notch into the corner of the fireplace. I was trying to get them to not build that fireplace there, but it happened anyway, and thus the notch.

I will be coming back to this one from time to time installing all the railing. I had 10 guys huffing and puffing lifting this pig into place. It dropped in nice...but it was a struggle for 5 minutes.

Stan

Attachments

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Piper Archer, Aviomania G1sb
Total Flight Time
Not sure over 10,000+ logged FW, 260+ ultralights, sailplane, hang-gliders
Wow man buddy that is beautiful and well worth the effort!!!

Last edited:

Jazzenjohn

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Gyrobee, My design
Total Flight Time
Did you make the staircase below it sometime earlier? It doesn't look heavier than most of the other stairs you've posted pictures of here, actually looks lighter. Why was it such a "pig"?

Jazzenjohn

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Gyrobee, My design
Total Flight Time
Oh, thanks Stan. It's difficult to get the difference in scale from the pics. I guess it does look wider, I thought it just appeared that way because it doesn't twist as much and it had no handrail yet.

Doug S.

PRA # 41505
Aircraft
Sportcopter Vortex / Xenon RST
Total Flight Time
Wow!

Wow!

Just gorgeous!
Another masterpiece for Stan's Swirling Staircase book.
Doug S.

Greg Mitchell

Aircraft
Butterfly Monarch 582
Total Flight Time
200 hrs
Beautifull staircase in a gorgeous house.

Mastercraftsman Stan at work.

Mitch.

willisbr

Aircraft
Maule MT7-235; RAF 2000 (sold)
I bet one staircase pays for most of it anyway. What a masterpiece. Stan, you have me wanting to go an addition just so I have a reason to put in a curved stairway.

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Piper Archer, Aviomania G1sb
Total Flight Time
Not sure over 10,000+ logged FW, 260+ ultralights, sailplane, hang-gliders
@Brian
Me too!!!

StanFoster

Aircraft
Helicycle N360SF
Total Flight Time
Heres the stairway after several day of cutting all the iron balusters and installing them. The owners love dark wood, not my favorite as I feel it killed the cherry, but I cant see it from my house. The stairway will get one final coat of varnish on it.

Stan

Attachments

Last edited:

joe nelson

Aircraft
I have owned an AA-7B, Quad City Challenger, WAR P-47 and have flown several other type
Total Flight Time
12000hrs approx
Now that Norm Abrams has retired you'd make a good replacement...lol I need to get my Saturday morning saw dust injection since he's gone and retired. I'm sure you'd do as good of job and be as entertaining as ole Norm. You should have enough material to do a whole season on compound angles alone!:first:

Beautiful work buddy!:hail:

WHUBBS

Aircraft
Magni M-22 Voyager
Total Flight Time
1522 fw / 1020 gyro
Stan, as always, you do just beautiful work, don't know what you get for this type of job, but it is not enough, i know quality when i see it.

Wayne

Master Roda

The Jedi
Can you post a link to your website for the new guys (and me since i lost it last computer update) ?

I'm amazed every time I see one of your pieces of art. Few recognise the rare woods you use. Can you give some close-ups?