cross country

blw2

Aircraft
C120, C140, C150, C152, C172, C172RG, C182, C182RG, C177RG, 7ACBM, M20, PA-23, PA-28, B777 sim clD
Total Flight Time
how much cross country do you actually do in your gyro?... overnight type stuff I mean.
Just daydreaming, looking at the american ranger AR1 and those of similar design...just for example. Wondering about the logistics....overnight, outdoor tiedowns at other airports, etc... as well as just the realities of long flights in the open with all the vibrations of a gyro and all....

I have never had problems with tie downs and usually have no problem getting a ride to lodging.

Sometimes I rent a hangar or find someone to share a hangar with because the gyroplane takes so little space.

I use a back pack in the back seat for luggage.

There are enough airports where range should not be a problem.

A gyroplane handles wind so well landing is always a pleasure.

I find cross country in a gyroplane is a lot more of an adventure than I would have in a fixed wing with more to see and a better sense of the progress.

When I land somewhere new to me I meet lots of new friends.

I find if I fly more than eight hours in a day over new to me territory I start making mistakes.

Attachments

• 02.JPG
    02.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 2
I've done quite a few long haul gyro trips (2000+ miles one way) and I've always had a nice adventure. Little airports often have very friendly and helpful people, with everything from loaner cars to offers of lodging, and I prefer to plan my route for such places (major regional airports are much less accommodating and more hassle for operations). Weather issues pop up sometimes so flexibility and good pre-planning are important. Short legs and keeping fresh can be helpful; I rarely do more than 6-7 hours of flight time in a day (which makes for a long day when fuel stops, preflight, lunch break, and such are added in).

P.S.
At rotorcraft altitudes I often find myself above the crop dusters and below the GA airplanes with the sky to myself, and a great view of the countryside.

Wait until the drone deliveries start. You might have to fly with the GA planes... :)

I liked just above tree top except for the bugs on my rotors and windshield when I landed. Blood would stain if you don’t wipe it off after every flight. Did you see the new photos of the cool side by side SportCopter?