Covers for Helicycle during Transport

Heliboy

For those who have transported their Helicycle via trailer: What do you use to protect the cockpit in regards to covering ? Is there anything available in local supply stores that can be purchased to provide temporary cover during transport (i.e : not get rain / water inside)

bugflyer

Bugflyer
Aircraft
owned C-205, Titan Tornado II, flown C150s, PA-140s, PA-18, R-22. R-44, 1 hour in P51C
Total Flight Time
Wrap with the wide plastic used to wrap pallet loads.

smiles,
Charles

StanFoster

Aircraft
Helicycle N360SF
Total Flight Time
Heliboy- That 2 foot wide plastic wrap is the best imo. You don't want to put a tarp over it as it will scuff the paint and windshield. I hauled an RAF2000 from Tennessee and just through a tarp over it. I wasn't down the road 20 miles and it started blowing loose in the rain. I ended up taking the tarp off and let it get it wet anyway. I had rotorhead on it...and it was ok.

WaspAir

Supreme Allied Gyro CFI
Aircraft
Bell 47G-3B-1 / A&S 18A / Phoebus C, etc.
Total Flight Time
stopped caring at 1000
You could try Bruce's Custom Covers. I have used their stuff on my J-2, A&S18A, Sikorsky S-52, and Bell 47 and really like their products.

Heliboy

Thanks to each of you for your responses !!

I feel like the plastic wrap would be most appropriate and I can get that from ULINE.

I will also check out Bruces Custom Covers but hopefully transporting on a trailer will be a short term event.

Thanks guys !! I really appreciate it.

ultracruiser41

Gold Member
Aircraft
Cavalon,Snobird+, Ryan PT 22,JetGyro,Titan T51,TwinStar, Radial Rocket Gyro, HummelBird
Total Flight Time
Too many to count
I've wrapped aircraft and Helicopters with the film they use to cover new carpeting during open houses or remodeling. You can pick it up at Lowes or HomeDepot.....it sticks nicely even in rain......workes like a charm and peels off easily with no damage or residue.

ultracruiser41

Gold Member
Aircraft
Cavalon,Snobird+, Ryan PT 22,JetGyro,Titan T51,TwinStar, Radial Rocket Gyro, HummelBird
Total Flight Time
Too many to count
It stays on. Regular stretch wrap can come loose and whip all over the place.

I've used the rug protector stuff for years with no issues. Whenever I trailered my Cavalon from NC to Maryland....I covered it and it never got a scratch.

I just powerwashed the inside of an aircraft and covered all parts that I didn't want wet with it and everything remained dry.

Hangar36

North American Dynali
Aircraft
Dynali H3
Total Flight Time
Thanks Barry I'm going to try it next time I trailer the helicopters. I'll let you know how it turns out :)

ultracruiser41

Gold Member
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
Too many to count
Just go to the carpet department and ask for the sticky carpet protector...they'll know where to point you. I'll check the name Thursday when I'm at the hangar.

Gyro28866

David McCutchen
Aircraft
Benson B7m & B8m, Dominator II; Kolb Mark III Classic
Total Flight Time
750 combined FW & Gyro
I use the stretch wrap around my Dominator pod and windshield and rotorhead and engine, on the instrument panel and rotorhead on the Bensen.
Then, I make several wraps around that with electrical tape. I purchase rolls of tape at Harbour Freight, 10 rolls for about $5.00. I get the stretch wrap from my local Farmers Co-op.
The first time I used just the stretch wrap, it was blowing loose, I had some tape and wrapped the tape over it and problem solved. Everything stays dry and bug and road grime free. Cuts off easily when I get where I am going.
Here is a pic of when I arrived a Bensen Days this year; this is the end of a 900 mile drive. You can see the stretch wrap with the tape over it.
Never an issue, and it is real cheap

Attachments

ultracruiser41

Gold Member
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
Too many to count
Here ya go! :)

Attachments