Could Someone Give Advice on Choosing the Right Gyroplane for a Beginner?

jesicasharma

Hello there,

I am new to the world of gyroplanes and recently joined this forum to gain insights from experienced pilots and enthusiasts. I have been fascinated by gyroplanes for a while now and am seriously considering purchasing one. Although; as a beginner; I find myself overwhelmed by the variety of options available; and could really use some guidance to make an informed decision.

I have a private pilot license with about 100 hours of flying; experience in fixed-wing aircraft; but I have no prior experience with rotorcraft. Safety and ease of handling are my top priorities; as I want to ensure a smooth transition into flying gyroplanes.

Which gyroplane models would; you recommend for a beginner? I am looking for something that is known for its stability and user-friendly controls.

Are there any particular brands; or manufacturers that stand out in terms of quality and support? I have; heard good things about AutoGyro; and Magni Gyro; but I'm open to other suggestions.

What should I look for in terms of maintenance and parts availability? How important is it to have a reliable support network for spare parts and servicing?

Also, I have gone through this post: https://www.rotaryforum.com/threads/need-beginner-advice-for-a-gyroplane-power-bi-build.1148336/ which definitely helped me out a lot.

Are there any training programs or instructors you would recommend?

What are some common pitfalls or mistakes that new gyroplane pilots should avoid? Any tips or advice on how to safely; and effectively learn to; fly a gyroplane would be greatly appreciated.

Thankyou in advance for your help and assistance.

I am in the process of getting training and there are very few CFI's, none near me, so I have opted to get instruction from any CFI that happens to be near by when I am travelling. So far that has taken me to El Mirage, Pacoima, Arkansas and Florida....
I have flown an AR-1. a Magni and a 2 place open frame Dominator.
Without hesitation I would say the Dominator was more fun, but that is like comparing a Ferrari to a Cadillac, the Eurotubs are more appropriate if your end game is to fly with passengers who might freak out hurdling through space strapped to a lawn chair...
If you are lucky enough to be near a CFI, work out a plan and go for it....
I would not buy until later in the process and there are good deals that show up on used aircraft, so if you are ready, you can jump on one and possibly finish the process for a little less $$ in your own aircraft.

Hello there,

I am new to the world of gyroplanes and recently joined this forum to gain insights from experienced pilots and enthusiasts. I have been fascinated by gyroplanes for a while now and am seriously considering purchasing one. Although; as a beginner; I find myself overwhelmed by the variety of options available; and could really use some guidance to make an informed decision.

I have a private pilot license with about 100 hours of flying; experience in fixed-wing aircraft; but I have no prior experience with rotorcraft. Safety and ease of handling are my top priorities; as I want to ensure a smooth transition into flying gyroplanes.

Which gyroplane models would; you recommend for a beginner? I am looking for something that is known for its stability and user-friendly controls.

Are there any particular brands; or manufacturers that stand out in terms of quality and support? I have; heard good things about AutoGyro; and Magni Gyro; but I'm open to other suggestions.

What should I look for in terms of maintenance and parts availability? How important is it to have a reliable support network for spare parts and servicing?

Also, I have gone through this post: https://www.rotaryforum.com/threads/need-beginner-advice-for-a-gyroplane-power-bi-build.1148336/ which definitely helped me out a lot.

What are some common pitfalls or mistakes that new gyroplane pilots should avoid? Any tips or advice on how to safely; and effectively learn to; fly a gyroplane would be greatly appreciated.

Here is a guide from my website: Purchasing a Gyroplane

Your choices are greatly determined by your location. Can you please share this and it will enable to answer your question better. If in the US choices are much greater than say in the UK. Your budget and type of flying would be helpful for recommendations as well. Your preference as far as brand new or used. Thank you.

Yes 100% what Mike says and its a real pity that places like the UK don't have that choice because what likely happens is that the more experience you have the more likely you are to want a more basic aircraft that is fun to fly for an hour at a time with mates low and slow. The type Magni/AG aircraft do a job but frankly they have all developed in a direction that doesn't play to gyroplane strengths - i.e. if you want to travel 100's of miles in a morning with a glass screen etc get a Cirrus i,e you want to enjoy the air and have fun a single seat aircraft or something more basic will suit.

I'm looking myself and I've already flown the Mangi m24, magni 16 and Ranger AR-1. In a few weeks I'm hoping to fly in the Nisus and Argon 915. As of now I really like the Magni M24 but until I've flown a few more I'll wait to make a decision. I'd like to also fly the 2 place Dominator before making a decision as well.

Hello there,

AR-1 by SilverLight from Florida. Biased plug.
Take proper training and expect 15 to 20 hours of training. Don't try and finish in 5 days because likely won't work. Not sure where you are in the country but you should join PRA and look for instructors close to you and check their references.

I'm looking myself and I've already flown the Mangi m24, magni 16 and Ranger AR-1. In a few weeks I'm hoping to fly in the Nisus and Argon 915. As of now I really like the Magni M24 but until I've flown a few more I'll wait to make a decision. I'd like to also fly the 2 place Dominator before making a decision as well.
Best bet for the ability to fly multiple brands is to make a trip to Tampa and get with Greg Spicola. He is an awesome instructor and has access to several brands of gyro. Which includes one of the first two place Dominaotrs. It’s Hirth powered. It has one of the best if not the best power to weight ratios of any two place gyro in the world still flying.

Best bet for the ability to fly multiple brands is to make a trip to Tampa and get with Greg Spicola. He is an awesome instructor and has access to several brands of gyro. Which includes one of the first two place Dominaotrs. It’s Hirth powered. It has one of the best if not the best power to weight ratios of any two place gyro in the world still flying.
You MUST fly that Dominator!!!!!

You MUST fly that Dominator!!!!!
I did. I don’t fly anymore. My pops gave it up and so did I. When you’re addicted to something and your supplier quits you are forced to give it up too. I flew for a very long time and never bent or broke anything more than a couple prop blades when my pit crew left a ratchet on the engine. I feel lucky to have flown as long and as much as I did. I consider the Dominator my third sibling. In my opinion the best flying gyro ever but, I am a tiny bit biased.

Are Dominators still being built? I'm having a hard time finding the factory
My Father was the Designer/ Manufacturer and he retired a couple of years ago. He sold the tooling to build them and we found out recently they were sold again. Long answer I think so but, not for sure I heard that Davie Seace is building them again. He recently had an ad on here for a partially built two place and single place in the for sale section. I’m pretty sure his number is on there. There are used machines out there once in a while for sale. There was a really nice single place in NC but it sold I’m pretty sure.

Last edited:
ONCE YOU FLY THE DOMINATOR YOU WILL BE HOOKED FOR LIFE .

I flew the Autogyro Cavalon this week with a 914 in it and walked away unimpressed for the money. They seem very popular so I tried it out but I liked the Magni 24, Magni 16, and AR-1 better.. I’m still looking forward to flying the Aviomania and Dominator along with the Argo before deciding what I’d like to save up for

I have flown several different models. Being airborne is great in any machine. That's the positive aspect for me. My reviews of different models flown by me are based on the negative aspects only, and solely based on my flight experiences. Price has not been factored.

1. Air Command Tandem two place: Terrible design, especially the tail. The stabilizer is beneath the prop wash, and at slow speeds the weather-vaning is significant. Significant torque roll. Owned and flew for four years. Too many nuts and bolts holding parts together. I don't believe they are in production.

2. RAF2000: Trained someone for several hours. Side by side seating, literally squeezed with the other occupant. Not an elegant design. Terrible pitch stability. However the stabilizer mod has helped. Poor power to weight with the Subaru engine. Sluggish performance. Actual weight may take it out of Sport Pilot range.

3. Dominator Tandem: Flew several hours and trained two persons in their machines. Looks inelegant compared to the Eurotubs. Occasional duck walk while taxying on uneven surface, and can give rise to shimmy in the nose wheel, if not adjusted properly.

3a. Dominator Single: No Negatives.

4. Magni M16: Flew four hours. Heavy stick. Straight keel and high thrust line.

5. Magni M24: Side by side seating very cramped. Butt starts hurting on flights over 30 minutes because the seating is not ergonomic. Straight keel, high thrust line makes tail touch during sharp flares while landing during simulated engine out. Cannot practice "balance on the mains". Cockpit has side to side yaw with doors removed.

6. MTO Sport and 2017: Owned and flew several hours. Also trained a pilot for CFI in MTO Sport. Flimsy frame. Complex rotor braking and pre-rotator mechanism for maintenance and repairs.

7. Cavalon: Side by side seating and not ergonomic. Cramped. Does not have throttle on the left side in the model that I tried training someone. The forward rake of the nose wheel is of poor design and can cause a roll over easily.

8. Aviomania Single: Owning an earlier model, has a poor design for the fuel tanks. Mine developed major leaks and is presently grounded due to the complexity of replacing the tanks as the complete cabin has to be removed in my model.

9. ELA Eclipse: Enclosed cockpit. Forward nose wheel rake gives nose dart at speed. Hard rudders. Flew a lot of hours training a pilot. Due to the canopy, engine off performance is not adequate. I wonder if the heavy canopy can be opened easily in a roll over.

10. Xenon: Side by side. Center throttle for both pilots. Had one flight for giving a check ride. Left side pilot has to fly the cyclic with left hand.

11. Tango2: trained two pilots. Hard rudder. I feel the electric actuator rotor brake is a serious issue if it inadvertently activates in flight. It could pitch the head down and not override manually. Also several engine issues with water pump.

12. AR1 Tandem: Nothing negative. Own and fly it regularly. IMHO, best value for the money among the modern designs.

Have not flown the TAG. I believe it is a good machine.

The above basic reviews of the negatives as I perceived are based on my personal experience only, and not intended to put down any manufacturer. Others may have a completely different experience with the above models.

Last edited: