Corn belt is soaked....food prices will climb

StanFoster

Aircraft
Helicycle N360SF
Total Flight Time
I am in the middle of the cornbelt here in central Illinois. My dad is 87 and has never seen such delays in planting as this year. He just got his corn planted between the deluge of rains we have been having...but his soybeans are still not planted. It rained another 2 inches this morning..and nothing but lakes are around. Crops that are up are being stunted.....fertilizer and chemicals are being washed out....

Most of the farmers have multi periil crop insurance...so they wont be hurting...but the insurance comanies will and watch out for the escalating food prices which are already climbing.

Beans are around $14 dollars a bushel...and corn at $6....so the farmers will do great with their guaranteed yields.

Here are some pictures of my front yard that was flooded this morning.

Stan

Attachments

• AAheli 234.jpg
    AAheli 234.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 0
  • AAheli 233.jpg
    AAheli 233.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 0
Dang Stan, send some of that down here, we are like 92 degrees and it hasn't rained for over a week. and summer is not even here yet!

Scott, it is usually hotter in Georgia than here and it was over 100 today, yesterday and near 100 for this past thursday. No rain neither. We need it too.

Here is my local 10 day forecast.... Going to the lake on the jet skis tomorrow and will probably play hooky from work monday too.

Sun
Jun 8

Sunny

102°
75°

20%

20%

Mon
Jun 9

Partly Cloudy

100°
75°

20%

20%

Tue
Jun 10

Partly Cloudy

97°
74°

20%

20%

Wed
Jun 11

Isolated T-Storms

90°
73°

30%

30%

Thu
Jun 12

Scattered T-Storms

85°
72°

40%

40%

Stan,
Your front yard look's like my front yard in Immokalee Fl, did some years back

Stan,

We drove down to the club meeting at Portage Des Sioux, Mo., today. It poured on us three different times driving down.

For a three hour drive, all we saw were flooded fields, and creeks and rivers out of their banks.

Both the Missouri and the Missisissippi looked pretty menacing. I'm surprised they're not out of their banks yet.

Driving home, I noticed a lot of burned up corn, and we know it's too late to replant that crop.

Got home tonight, and we'd gotten another 1.1 inches. Since last Friday, we've seen over 7 inches now.

Weather is crazy, isn’t it. This past week I worked in Denver with 85* temps and lots of humidity. Made it into Phoenix Sunday to 106* and dry for a couple hot days only to drive to home in Northern Arizona to find a slushy snowstorm with winds about 45mph and a low of 28*. Thought it was summer.

Bingo!
I know what to bring to the US in my informal trading trips: food!!!! :D
But in a more somber note
How are you guys doing up there? I fear for you . . .
Stan . . .brace yourselves . . .we had hail that still on the ground after 3 months . . .people still trying to explain the situation.
And it is hot down here . . .
No worries about food, the IDB (/bid) sent lots of mula down here to get the crops out . . .(problem is China is the first on the line)
I hope all our friends are well.
Heron

Heron....are you in pompano beach FLORIDA ?

No Chris I am in Brazil . . .Bauru, Sao Paulo. Just arrived from Sao Paulo City.
Things are boiling down here (business wise)
Went to the beach fri-sat-sun what a blast (google praia grande and peruibe guarau)
I was invited to officiate the initial game for the Be-A-Basket project (Be-A-Ba is the start of reading, the first letters) they will help needy hoods to keep their kids out of crime and poverty using basketball as educational tool and attraction.
After 10 years absent from the courts in Brazil it was touching to see my ugly and old (I am bald and gray haired now) mug on TV.
Great feeling
Heron

I was invited to officiate the initial game for the Be-A-Basket project (Be-A-Ba is the start of reading, the first letters) they will help needy hoods to keep their kids out of crime and poverty using basketball as educational tool and attraction.

They have done the same thing here, getting all the punk A$$ thugs and druggies off the streets, I think they call it the NBA or something.

i was typing in the middle of a big thunderstorm last night, had to shut down & unplug.

Heron, your location still says Florida, isn't that easy to change ?

that storm is supposed to bring the temps down today. I hope !

Last edited:
There you go Chris . . .done!
Got cold last night down to 16 C.
Food prices are going up here also, less wheat, less rice, cold weather forces a seasonal raising for vegetables (tomato & potato) and vegetable oil is up because of China gobling trend.
The New Pac Man . . . they will eat the world to extinction. :D
Heron