Convince Me

das

I have been struggling with "taking the big plunge" and getting into the next production run, and it seems that the longer the delayes the more uncertain I get....
So, why should I do this? And lesser maybe why not?

das

If you don't like it maybe I'll trade you...not that I don't like mine...I do very much...but I've always wanted an HC. I've been following it's development from the very begining.

I never want another piston!

Are you rated?

DAS- If you decide to get in run #7, make sure you have your hands on a T-62 turbine. They do NOT have enough for this run. Find a turbine and no problem. They will go through it like they had supplied it, and the kit price is discounted considerably.

Would I go for it again? ABSOLUTELY!! It has far exceeded my expectations for performance, ease of flying, minimal maintenance.....practically zilch so far for me,.....and just the sheer freedom and thrill to be have the capability to land and take off from what I could only fly over before .

They are an extremely good investment. Not too many aircraft can be built, flown and resold considerably more than your investment, instead of considerably less.

Good luck should you go for it.

Stan

Having a single place is my preferred choice, but I probably am in the minority. My wife will not fly period, and I became tired of the liability risk of hauling dozens of passengers. One slip up, and I or my surving spouse would be sued to high heaven. Single seat is for me.

Stan

Cburg, I'm fixed wing rated and have few hours helo...and do act like the single since low time...
Stan, do u think they'll be successful with the new engine? How do u go about finding your own engine? I would have no idea what I was buying!

das

I agree Stan.

Having a single place is my preferred choice, but I probably am in the minority. My wife will not fly period, and I became tired of the liability risk of hauling dozens of passengers. One slip up, and I or my surving spouse would be sued to high heaven. Single seat is for me.

Stan

I would never buy any machine from any manufacturer that couldn't supply the engine with the kit. Those engines are not proper engines for helicopters anyway. They work but are very hard to find and parts for as well. Sorry Stan just a fact. They continue on that way and they may be like Rotorway.

John- That turbine is a terrible choice .......no power...undependable.....wish I had never experienced it!..................................................................ha

DAS- I would not hold my breath on them making their own turbine soon. That is there plan....but I will believe it when I see it.

There are T-62 turbines out there and Eagle R&D will take what you got and refurbish it to go into your machine.

Stan

Yes, I read the thread too...that's why I posted it to share the other perspective. I'm neutral on this engine...don't know it...but hear what they are saying.

Chuck,

In APU, not in APU!! Don't Matter. They don't manufacture them anymore. No engines, no go play! :Cry: Plenty of Yamaha engines, with parts available everywhere. :peace:

John- That turbine is a terrible choice .......no power...undependable.....wish I had never experienced it!..................................................................ha

Stan

Stan
I never said is was a terrible choice. I never said it didn't have any power, I never said it was undependable. And yes I have experienced it!! Still no engines.... And how do they put it back to true zero time with no parts available??????????????????????????????? Please..

John- I know you didn't say what I said.....I was poking you sarcastically for your anti turbine plug. They take it completely apart put NEW bearings in it, measure all the tolerances, balance the turbine wheel, test its efficiency and then test run it.

Then at the factory checkout, the turbine is fine tuned.

Excellent reports from several Helicycle guys with hundreds of hours of trouble free performance convinced me to open my wallet and order a Helicycle kit.

If I knew what I know now , I would have ordered one much sooner. I am a hard sell and I made myself wait 5 years to evaluate others experiences with them, and to get rid of a few bugs ALL machines have.

Could not be happier with such a dependable and powerful machine.....and a fast one also.

Last edited:
Interesting thread. I always chuckle at people when they express their uneducated opinion of "experimental" airplanes. I have owned just three airplanes;

Fully certified (Tomahawk)
Experimental (O-235 Long EZ)
Experimental Exhibition. (Yak-50)

In order of reliability and build quality..

Experimental Exhibition (built like a brick $h1T house)and THE most fun I have ever had in an airplane...hands down.
Experimental (impeccable quality...man.)
A 1972 Ford Pinto
A Yugo
Anything from China..
Certified. (cheap tin can with a motor who's time came and went in 1950)

Built right, I will take an experimental over an GA airplane any day.

If I knew what I know now , I would have ordered one much sooner. I am a hard sell and I made myself wait 5 years to evaluate others experiences with them, and to get rid of a few bugs ALL machines have.

Could not be happier with such a dependable and powerful machine.....and a fast one also.

Stan

I was picking on you as well. I know, and everyone else knows how much you love your Helicycle. I and many others have followed you from day one. Five years ago things were different, not to mention you waited five years before you purchased yours. There were plenty of engines back than, and now they are very hard to find and the hard to fine will soon dry up as well. The helicycle is a great machine Stan, but the lack of engines would be a great concern for me if I was going to purchase a new machine of any kind!

John- I agree on the lack of engines...They need to be doing some serious engine replacement research or go purchase T-62 engines.

I know where some are, and they can be found for awhile.

Stan

This is certainly not where I thought this would go, but I do hear the concerns...
Ironically John, it seems that you have the opposite problem, engines but no airframes!
I considered your side, but my searches haven't really produced many options either. I was really intrigued with your proximity to me and thought this could be a real advantage, but hit dead ends looking for airframes.
Anyway, anybody with thoughts outside of the engine supply issue concern?
das

engines but no airframes!

David,

Where did you get the ideal there were no airframes available. They are all over the place if you know where to look. Skidlid here on the forum has one for sale or did, and I could go on and on. Your right!! We are all out of options here in the states. Rotorway is somewhat shut down, may never fully recover. Some secondary shaft issues, and their engine is also junk. Helicycle great machine with only future engine issues, like maybe unavailable. Yes I know I'll get hammered just for speaking the truth!

Bruce Linsmyer , Avon Aero ,Indiana.Has all sorts of engines, The T-62 powerplants were used in some enstroms, Del Mar Engineering (rescue & training helicopters) APU?????????? so what. the T62 reliability was so good the Limits were changed to Conditional. Need manuals? Cates construction Florida. Dig for them they are out there.