8,000 plus
first flight with SC Rotors.

first flight with SC Rotors.

I noticed several different flight charactisitics

1. Prerotation is faster.
2. takeoff roll to 200 RRPM is a lot faster
3.rotors slow down faster.
4.rotor rpm @ flight speed is 330.
5. Landings seem to float more, rotors hold gyro up longer.
6.larger variation in rotor RPM in flight.rotor RPM is more sensitive.

On my first takeoff I had my hands full, the pitch trim was set for the RAF rotors in cruise I had to really pull hard to stay off of the ground and move
the cyclic to the left, right at lift off, after lift off the cyclic was moved back
to center,I used almost all of the up trim on the stabaliator to achieve level
flight..I am going to add a spring to the rear stabaliator arm to neutralize
the wing to a near level position in cruise.

Checking things over after the inital installation,the chord wise centering was
only off by 0.001,I havent check the track yet,I want to get the trim resolved
first.The overall stick/cabin shake is not so bad right now I believe just a few
small adjustments will dial it right in.
I cruise @3,900 RPM and noticed the airspeed to be overall faster exactly how
much is yet to be detirmined,I was seeing about 80 MPH on average,the air
was gusty and really shoving me around.

So that leaves me with just a couple of squawks,Trim spring, and minor shaking.

The overall quality of the hubbar and rotors is second to none,the only complaint is to undo the set screw to adjust the chordwise setting you will
have to remove the spreader adjuster and then reinstall to check the new settings I am going to try to make a allen wrench that will fit under the
adjuster.

Best regards,

Kolibri

FW and Gyros
Aircraft
Cessna 152, 172, 172RG, 177, 206 -- Piper 180 -- RV-7A -- Calidus -- RAF2000 -- Sport Copter II and
Total Flight Time
1000+
eddie, glad to read that you're flying SC rotors, and your general comments about rrpm, float, etc. mirror my experience.

My preliminary data shows that the SC rotors give me an 8mph increase at 4600rpm cruise. This extends my endurance as if I had 1.5 gal more usable.

Regards, Kolibri

Kolibri

FW and Gyros
Aircraft
Cessna 152, 172, 172RG, 177, 206 -- Piper 180 -- RV-7A -- Calidus -- RAF2000 -- Sport Copter II and
Total Flight Time
1000+
Yesterday I flew x/c for a total of 4.4 hours and 260 miles, my longest/farthest gyro day yet. Landed at a new airport for the gyro and took a friend out to lunch. Feels great to go somewhere.

Since I've the stick shake reduced to about 20% of its greatest former intensity, I hardly notice it at all. One last bit of tracking using the dial indicator should do it.

Regards, Kolibir

eddie

RAF, turbo subaru 230hp
Aircraft
230 HP turbocharged RAF
Total Flight Time
8,000 plus
Thats about where I'am at with regards to shake,I have noticed that the vibration thats

there feels different and is not so objectionable compared to the RAF blades. Sounds like

you are starting to get to the end of the long bumpy road, and enjoy your efforts.

So hows about a ATTA BOY KOLIBRI...

Best regards,

Kolibri

FW and Gyros
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
1000+
Thanks, eddie, it's been fun and interesting.
I'm always keen to learn more about my own gyro.

____
I'm almost ready to take up pax, and will first test with right side ballast in order to hone my dual takeoff procedure with this air-trim.

Regards, Kolibri

Kolibri

FW and Gyros
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
1000+
now about 30 hours with the SC upgrade

now about 30 hours with the SC upgrade

Have been doing much more flying since the conversion, and thoroughly enjoying my new rotor system. Am now pretty used to the takeoffs, and even flew in/out of a lumpy grass strip with x-wind (can you say "stay in ground effect until Vx"?).

SC teeter bushings require Aeroshell 14 grease, which is not common, so expect to order it.

Regards, Kolibri

dunc

RAF/Sparrowhawk/SC 2.5 FI
Aircraft
1967 Turbo/RSTOL/VG Cessna 185 Skywagon, 1946 Grumman TBM Avenger
Total Flight Time
No Title

PNEUMATIC SOLENOID INSTALLATION, WIRING AND PLUMBING

I have not quite completed my SC conversion, but though I'd add my recent findings to Kolibri's excellent document.

I mounted my solenoids on a piece of .060 aluminum along with a 12 position barrier connection strip. The aluminum plate has Velcro "hook" strip super-glued to its backside for mounting on the carpeted wall. Easy to remove, and no new cabin holes! First picture shows initial wiring, and the next shows the chosen joystick grip. I wired one spare button to the transponder IDENT button. The barrier strip provides connections to the solenoid low power with 1 amp CB on main instrument panel. FYI SC provided CBs in my kit.

I found it is much easier to get a fully "locked" connection with the air lines if you pre-lube the ends with your favorite spray lube. Disconnection is more problematic as an even pressure is required around the full locking ring. I built this simple tool from a scrap of aluminum line with two simple bandsaw cuts, "T" shaped, to closely go around the tubing and apply even pressure to the spring loaded collar. The next image shows this use with the fully installed wiring and tubing on the subassembly.

I feel unsafe flying anything without a battery disconnect solenoid, especially something where the main battery bus wire is routed right under the fuel tank! So I installed a solenoid under the battery shelf, along with the trim system air pump. At this point it made no sense to run a 15 amp wire to the instrument panel and back, so I simply added a waterproof fuse holder right there. You can see it connect to red wires on the inboard edge of the battery shelf. The air system reservoir is seen attached to rear spar, behind the battery assembly.

Since I upgraded the Walbro fuel pumps for future intended turbo use, I also upgraded the main battery bus wire and fuel pump wiring to take the additional amperage, and added appropriate circuit breaker switches.

Attachments

• photo130369.jpg
    photo130369.jpg
    230.8 KB · Views: 2
  • photo130370.jpg
    photo130370.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 2
  • photo130371.jpg
    photo130371.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 2
  • photo130372.jpg
    photo130372.jpg