Converting a PitBull to what I named a Tribull

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Piper Archer, Aviomania G1sb
Total Flight Time
Not sure over 10,000+ logged FW, 260+ ultralights, sailplane, hang-gliders
PRA 31 is in the process of registering 4 gyroplanes in the next 90 days.
What has changed is I can now be at the hanger during the day. Now that my PRA 20 hour days for years programming job is done.
From now on it only requires adding a few new suites and only on the night shift 6 PM to 2 AM that 8 hours like normal people work.
Anyway, I am free at last, at least during the day when Dave and the boys are at the hanger to play.

Two jobs work perfectly for me.
Example: today Dave told Ron at 3 PM.
I'm used to you wanting to quit about 3.
With John, we may never go home. I took the hint!!! But I didn't finish wiring until 5 PM. And they actually stayed with me. All of us getting so much more done.

Our first to be registered is the ARGON 915 on Tuesday.

Next, is the TriBull. San Diego Rotorcraft Clubs.
The history of this bird:
I named it a TriBull from a PitBull because the past owner had added a front nose landing gear.
The rest of the story on the quality = that the welds broke while being strap down in the back of the truck on the way home.
Out of fairness, I drove it from Fairbanks Alaska to San Diego maybe 4 or 5K. I do not remember.
But still, not aircraft quality build.

Built a new nose gear/fork.
We had to rebuild the entire keel, mast, motor mounts, and steering arm and attaching brackets.
Geeeee's come to think of it the only thing we do not have to fix or replace is the instrument panel and the airframe.

The first thrust is GREAT news. 308 lbs.
That is as much as Dave Bacon's 582.

We are kicking A$$ and taking names in our progress on both the ARGON and TriBull.

While I was wiring the ARGON Dave
1) Removed the Altimeter from PRA next Raffle prize a Sport Copter Vortex. It had a broken glass face.
2) On the TriBull he searched the club's parts stores found both the CHT and EGT wires and sensors.
3) Found and installed and tested a dual IIRC CHT gauge and singles EGT's but need the dual EGT gauge and that will be done.
4) Thrust test her. Yahoo = 305 lbs.

We will bring her to KBFF El Mirage dry lake bed CA. So if you wish to see her come to the party!!
What Rotor Adventures and PRA 31 is now up to.

Attachments

• TriBul_Thrust.jpg
    TriBul_Thrust.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

13brv3

Gold Member
Thanks for the tour, and the devopment of a new structural testing method (drive to Alaska to test the welds <g>). I'll be interested to hear more about the Pitbull since I'm still very interested in tractor gyros. If my Ridge Runner 3 kit continues to be impossible to sell, it may become a Little Wing. Good luck on all the upcoming inspections. Rusty

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
I'm off to the airport to finish the ARGON for tomorrow's inspection and then measure the tubing need for more PRA's Sport Copter Vortex raffle prize and then start rewriting our TriBull until I wear the boy out. The 1st-night shift of programming will be to test the classified Ads suite. I took a break since 8/31 and selfishly trained for my Sports pilot's add-on.

I'm having the time of my life with FLYING again and Working on gyros is not as much fun as flying but it is way more fun than I've had in years of programming!!!

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
Thanks for the tour, and the devopment of a new structural testing method (drive to Alaska to test the welds <g>). I'll be interested to hear more about the Pitbull since I'm still very interested in tractor gyros. If my Ridge Runner 3 kit continues to be impossible to sell, it may become a Little Wing. Good luck on all the upcoming inspections. Rusty
Hi Russell
Will do. Dave and I are so excited to fly a tractor we cannot wait. So, now that the ARGON is finished and except for flying time from now on it will be working full-time on the TriBull during the daylight hours.

We do have a problem. That is we are supposed to sell her or trade her for a Rotax 912 100HP or 914 so Nicolas will send me the two-place Genesis that I'm donating to the club allowing lower social economy groups to be trained for the cost of a CFI, ins, fuel, oil, and future maintenance.
My intent is to make gyroplanes the least expensive to get your license. Then they can share expenses (the actual cost less the price of the aircraft) like a rental in the club's KB2. Fly for an hour and it is the next club member's turn. Whit a party every weekend on the ground. Like a year-round fly-in.
After 10 years my DREAM is finally coming together at light speed now that my day job is playing with gyros!

NOW BACK to Dave's and my problem.

We like her and want to keep her and we suspect will want to keep her even more after we get to fly her.
We are talking about buying her ourselves and that's a problem. I allocated that extra money to get the two-place shipped here and for the last parts needed like avionics with ABS out.

I may have to go back to work as an accountant or marketing hat to pay for both. But I want to play gyros!!

Last edited:

13brv3

Gold Member
I have always had more projects in mind than time and money to build them. I end up juggling projects to find the one I'm most interested in, then it will get finished while lining up the next one. I've bought and sold a number of projects without ever working on them just because my interest shifted before I got around to them. As I get older, I have to add energy to the obstacle list. I'm just not as productive at building as I used to be...

Rusty (finishing Onex, gyro is next)

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
Me too my list of projects solely on finishing remodeling the house and relandscape the front yard. That's been on hold for years because PRA and now gyros got in the way.