Conversion 503-582

Joe Pires

star hoarder
Aircraft
Aviomania GS2.
Total Flight Time
450 ish solo gyro and 80 ish two place
I have run into my first snag on the conversion. I decided to get a C box not a B box. When my friend who is converting it for me began looking he could not see a way to mount the wunderlich pre-rotater. Do any of you who use a wunderlich, a 582, and a C box have any pictures of your installation?

If so I would appreciate seeing them.

gyroplanes

FAA DAR Gyropilot
Aircraft
(2) Air Commands, (1) Barnett, (1) Parsons modified 2 place, (1) Beechcraft Sundowner
Total Flight Time
HI Joe,
Your mechanic called me today. Even though Ernie (RFD) uses most of my prerotator components, the parts you need to adapt my parts to your engine (and continue to use the drive disc over the drum) should be off the shelf RFD items.
If you convert to drive drum style, I have all the parts you need.

Joe Pires

star hoarder
Aircraft
Aviomania GS2.
Total Flight Time
Hi Tom,

Thanks for your response. Ernie does not have the pieces to make it fit. What would your drum conversion set me back? And does it perform as well as the disk? I do have the option of taking the B box off my 503 in case this becomes more trouble than its worth.

Trez

Aircraft
EAB 503 Powered UltraWhite-like Dom
Total Flight Time
25,000+
Hi Tom,

Thanks for your response. Ernie does not have the pieces to make it fit. What would your drum conversion set me back? And does it perform as well as the disk? I do have the option of taking the B box off my 503 in case this becomes more trouble than its worth.

I wish now that you would have asked.....

I used the B box off my 503 and installed a 'mag-end' starter. Pre-rotator goes right back on the B box.

Look at Ed's. I think that's how he handled it.

scottessex

Sling-Wing Pilot
Aircraft
Dominator 582
Total Flight Time
200+
Just use the old gearbox....unless you want a clutch, then of course the drum type prerotator will not work, plus it will turn the opposite direction, so you will have to replace the whole system, You will learn real soon Joe, you can never just change ONE thing...it does not work like that.

Joe Pires

star hoarder
Aircraft
Aviomania GS2.
Total Flight Time
Ed had encouraged me to get the C box. I do what Ed sez cause I don't know crap. He was unaware of that complexity.

We both know now. Live and learn.

Joe Pires

star hoarder
Aircraft
Aviomania GS2.
Total Flight Time
Hi Tom... no need to post the info, I am just gonna go with my B Box and be done with it. Thank all for your input.

scottessex

Sling-Wing Pilot
Aircraft
Dominator 582
Total Flight Time
200+
I'm with ya Joe, You might be able to get real creative and make your own mounts and brackets. But I would just put the B box on it, find a spot for the radiator, and go fly.. :)

Joe Pires

star hoarder
Aircraft
Aviomania GS2.
Total Flight Time
Hey Joe, I am in the market for a c-box. What ratio?
2.6 ish i got it from Rotax Rick for $950, He has agreed to take it back and it will go into the box with the 503 I am sending him.

Here is his information 239-572-0021

MikeBoyette

Gold Member
Aircraft
Dominator
Total Flight Time
200+
Joe,
Jake adapted dad's style of prerotator to a c-box on Rick's Gator gyro.. I think he posted oictures of it on here. Dad uses hydro unit on 582 with a c-box..

Joe Pires

star hoarder
Aircraft
Aviomania GS2.
Total Flight Time
Joe,
Jake adapted dad's style of prerotator to a c-box on Rick's Gator gyro.. I think he posted oictures of it on here. Dad uses hydro unit on 582 with a c-box..
Yes but Jake is "the man".

GyroRon

Former Gyro know it all
Aircraft
Waiex/3300 Jab, Phantom UL, Flightstar II UL
Total Flight Time
ALOT
C box is the way to go...... B box is a poor choice for a 3 blade warp drive, sooner or later you will have a gearbox failure, especially with the way most people let their engines idle too low causing the engine to shake and rattle. All that has to be done is figure out a way to bolt to the C box, not rocket science! There are more holes to use on a C box anyways. Surely Jake could make a duplicate of what he put on Ricks machine.

helipaddy

Aircraft
Dominator, ELA 07, B206L4 and B407
Total Flight Time
Around 250 days
It might not be that straightforward to use the C Box with the disc and wheel prerotator, the C Box will need to be mounted Up to get the clearance for the wheel. I dont think there is room for the wheel with the C box pointing down.
This messes up the prop thrustline and the mast length will have to be changed I think.

Post no.4 shows what I mean:

http://www.rotaryforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16909

gyrojake

Gyro Rehab Candidate
Aircraft
Gyroplanes
Total Flight Time
A few hours
Joe give me a buzz. My number 321.252.7705 It is a pretty easy conversion.

Joe Pires

star hoarder
Aircraft
Aviomania GS2.
Total Flight Time
With a little bit of luck I will be flying my new engine this weekend. A couple of parts still have to straggle in but I am optimistic. Almost 10 days since my last flight..getting ansy.

helipaddy

Aircraft
Dominator, ELA 07, B206L4 and B407
Total Flight Time
Around 250 days
Looking forward to seeing the conversion, plenty of pictures Joe. I think you will like the performance!

Joe Pires

star hoarder
Aircraft
Aviomania GS2.
Total Flight Time
Looking forward to seeing the conversion, plenty of pictures Joe. I think you will like the performance!
I will take a bunch when we get done. I am not actually participating, other than looking at the work each night when I get home from work. But the guy who is handling it for me has built 3 planes which I have seen and he does nice work.

It is as bad, density altitude wise, as it ever gets here now. Hot muggy days. I look forward to a climb out and am hoping for another 100 feet of altitude by the time i get over the trees at the end of the strip.

I clear them but about 100 feet now...but funny how little clearance that feels like.

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Piper Archer, Aviomania G1sb
Total Flight Time
Not sure over 10,000+ logged FW, 260+ ultralights, sailplane, hang-gliders
Looking forward to the pilot reports!

Joe Pires

star hoarder
Aircraft
Aviomania GS2.
Total Flight Time
Well got her started up today. Took her for a quick trip down the runway but there was lightning in the area so my first flight is going to be Thursday. Here are a few pictures of the install.