Considering Calidus

gyrodeputy

Total Flight Time
200 and growing
I am considering a Calidus. In so much as I appreciate the opinons of some on this forum, does anybody have an input, both positive and negative about this aircraft? Anybody ever flown in or seen one in person?

Pro's and Con's please let me know.

Stay safe.

Have you looked at how you would register it?

Dont confuse registration with airworthiness

Dont confuse registration with airworthiness

Have you looked at how you would register it?

http://www.rotaryforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26947

Joe, Yes I have and at great length. Likely experimental exhibition. The tread link above talks about this very issue.

If we use it in police work we will fly under the public use excemption and will not worry about that issue.

As stated in the other thread, airworthiness and registration are two different things.

Having said that, I am still soliciting input on the topic.

Thanks and stay safe.

Last edited:
Heath, aircraft flown under Public Use cannot legally be used for routine transportation, so be careful you don't limit what you can do with it after hours.

Experimental Exhibition is widely abused and the FAA knows it. Don't commit till you're sure you can live within the letter the of the rule, because tighter enforcement may be coming. Since the FAA doesn't have the manpower to enforce it uniformly, they'll probably make an example of a few "low-hanging fruit" cases, and local FSDOs seem to have lots of latitude to be vindictive if they choose.

Have you considered working with Autogyro to qualify one machine over here in Experimental Amateur Built? They'd have to deviate from normal policy and leave some tasks undone, but Greg Gremminger and Magni found a way to allow the buyers here to do just enough to qualify on the machines sold here in the US, because Experimental Exhibition had become too restrictive. (Celier seems headed for the same workaround for the Xenon in the US.) Autogyro seems very open to promoting its machines here in the hopes the FAA will one day allow them in LSA. Might be worth a shot.

Magni and others

Magni and others

Paul,
Thanks for your comments, as I have told you before, I value your opinion greatly. Our project requires a two place aircraft that is fully enclosed.

The side by side magni is too small (in my opinion). We did evaluate the standard Magni and Greg is an excellent pilot, instructor and salesman. However being that it is an open cockpit, it does not meet our needs.

The people I am trying to pitch this concept to will NOT entertain even a converstation about experimental home built. If it is not factory built, forget it.

We were going to go forward with the sport copter II but the factory can't seem to meet timelines and the costs were quickly becoming higher than anticipated.

So as we have continued to evaluate our options, along came the Calidus. Looks good, meets our needs of 2 place fully enclosed, aircraft quality engine (not a converted automobile engine), proven company with excellent safety record, and great customer service throughout the world.

I can't speak on behalf of any police agencies, but I think that you will see an open cabin, factory built, two place gyro flying in a police capacity in the next 90-120 days. It is not mine, nor is it my place to make the announcement, but it is coming.

As far as the experimental airworthiness, something has to give. Either the FAA needs to allow factory built gyros, or there ultimatley will be some signifcant litigation over this issue.

Please keep the comments and thoughts coming.

Stay safe

...something has to give. Either the FAA needs to allow factory built gyros, or there ultimatley will be some signifcant litigation over this issue...

Not sure who you'd sue, or over what. The FAA will tell you there is a way - buy a gyro with a Standard Airworthiness Certificate. None currently being manufactured? Certify a new one yourself.

$100-500 million to get a new certification through the FAA bureaucracy? "That's your problem."

It's frustrating, but if law enforcement agencies want to do this badly enough, they can simply buy a machine from Europe which is already factory-built, and simply not seek a civil airworthiness certificate of any kind. The Public Use exemption was created specifically to allow retired military aircraft to be used by police agencies. They don't have civil airworthiness certificates, either.

Another approach would be to find a country with reciprocal certification with the US, but lower costs, which want the jobs more than we apparently do.

Any movement from the FAA in our immediate lifetimes will probably allow gyroplanes only as Experimental-Light Sport Aircraft, so you still haven't got rid of the "Experimental."

It's frustrating, but if law enforcement agencies want to do this badly enough, they can simply buy a machine from Europe which is already factory-built, and simply not seek a civil airworthiness certificate of any kind. The Public Use exemption was created specifically to allow retired military aircraft to be used by police agencies. They don't have civil airworthiness certificates, either.

Another approach would be to find a country with reciprocal certification with the US, but lower costs, which want the jobs more than we apparently do.

Any movement from the FAA in our immediate lifetimes will probably allow gyroplanes only as Experimental-Light Sport Aircraft, so you still haven't got rid of the "Experimental."

My supporters are not afraid of experimental...just home built. But you are right...this is a mess. I have considered registering and airworthiness from Canada or Germany and then operating with a special use authorization. This is also a possiblity. To say that it is a mess is an understatement.

Stay safe

Why the calidus

Why the calidus

Heath

Have you considered the Xenon? Wide roomy side by side cabin, Factory built.

Same issues as the Calidus. But there are over 120 Xenon's flying world wide.
Mark

Mark,

I have and I am not a fan. It is a quality aircraft but not what we are looking for. Part of it has to do with aerodynamics for me. The wide cabin vs. the narrow which is more advantagous. Another factor is the weight. With only 115 HP to play with, it is a bit heavy for my liking.

Another big factor is cost.

Also, I like the tandem configuration. It gives much better visiblity for both pilot and observer.

Finally with Auto-gyro having nearly 1000 units (mto sport, mto 3 and calidus combined) flying, with no mechanical related crashes or failures, that is a pretty dang good track record. They are currently producing 1 aircraft per day!

Just my thoughts.

HL

Mark,

I have and I am not a fan. It is a quality aircraft but not what we are looking for. Part of it has to do with aerodynamics for me. The wide cabin vs. the narrow which is more advantagous. Another factor is the weight. With only 115 HP to play with, it is a bit heavy for my liking.

It weighs 620 lbs equipped. The RST model has 130+ Horsepower. It climbs from my field elevation 6875MSL (Today 9650 DA) at a very respectable rate and will out climb an MTO sport with equal PAYLOAD.

Other than that, it is all personal preference. If you prefer tandem, then the Calidus has that advantage, and it is sleek looking. I considered it, and corresponded with the factory several times.

There are no registered models from this company in the US, .... ZERO.

Last fall when I contacted them, at that time they did not want to Kit them to comply with 51%.. Maybe they are rethinking that. (And with the "Government owned" exemption that may be a mute point for you anyway.)

Best of Luck

Mark

Last edited:
Calidus

Calidus

am considering a Calidus. In so much as I appreciate the opinons of some on thisI forum, does anybody have an input, both positive and negative about this aircraft? Anybody ever flown in or seen one in person?

Pro's and Con's please let me know.

I would also like to hear more about the performances of the Calidus
from anyone that has experience of flying one/
The pros and cons ect. Like UTAHGYROCOP has enquired about.

Shay

Calidus

Calidus

Wow this thread went to ground.
Are there no people out there that has a set of specs for the calidus, seen as there are a lot of them flying. Not the factory specs I can get them on the factory website.

Shay

There are some here in New Zealand. Look and fly good. You should check out this web site and have a look at the "blog" pages. Email a guy called Tony Unwin who owns the company. They import them into NZ. He has just been to the factory in Germany as well. He will tell you what they are like to fly as well as pics of them on his site.

I too was hoping to get some more feedback and input...but you are right the thread did die off.

Stay safe.

There are not many Calidus flyers here on the forum to the moment. I know only 2 or 3 of us.
I have 40+ hours on Calidus to the moment and I would say all in all it's good comfortable aircraft without any bad habits. In other words it flies same good as it looks. I didn't find anything disappointing in it.

I know of a brand new Calidus of a friend where the exhaust burned the cowling and which had a total electrical breakdown. Otherwise, it is supposed to fly fine.
This is based only on one observation....

-Walter

Hi there,

a friend of mine has one and had it just back from regular service. Position of exhaust has been changed to avoid heat issues and improve noise reduction. He is quite happy so far.

Have a nice day
Guenter

Update on Calidus UK certification
"for the first time ever in the UK, a factory built enclosed two seat tandem gyroplane has taken to the skies, with the approval of the UK CAA.
History was made on the 21st August 2010, at the Midland Gliding Club.
~The full Permit to Fly release of G-CLDS is due in October"

Looks like it is getting there :)

G-CLDS is now released by the UK CAA for flight testing, and sorties to various airfields across the UK are planned.