Comtronics Patch Cord x Dynamic Mic

Turbo_Boss

Air Boss
Aircraft
Quicsilver MXII
Hello Guys,

I have read that a lot of people have the same problem when trying to conect a Comtronics Headsets with Dynamic microphone to a Handheld Radio. You hear the other people buy nobody hear you.

As many of you knows the Comtronics Mic requires some sort of amplification because is 8ohm and the Handheld only works with a 4ohm Mic.

Comtronics ask for this Preamp Patch U$99.00 :eek:

Have any of you has a schematic diagram of this Preamp in order to build it myself?

THX,

Isaac

Last edited:

PPG Doug

Sport Pilot Gyro Guy
Aircraft
100hp Subaru powered Dominator (SOLD)
Total Flight Time
Few hundred.
Radio woes

Radio woes

I am in this very dilema right now! I can't believe this was just posted!!! I knew my recent headaches were a result of someone reading my thoughts...

I have an A6 being used with a Comtronics helmet. I can hear others, but no one, while using the helmet & PTT, can hear me.

When I had my A5, I used it through a Comtronics Dual Com II in my 2-place trike and everything worked fine. But now that I am only using the Icom A6, Helmet and PTT and now, nothing. What in the world...?

Thoughts anyone? I'm not eager to spend $99 on some Pre-Amp Patch! I just don't think I should need. But if I do, please clarify for me...

Doug

fiveboy

I FLY THE JUNGLE JET!
Aircraft
AC Tandem Elite F30
Total Flight Time
Almost 200 hours
Weird

Weird

This is what I have been experiencing also.... hey Senor Isaac come over to my hangar and check out what I have.... its what you are looking for!!! So how come I am now having this problem when I didnt before....?

Im using the Comtronics, through the patch box and using a hand held IcomA20.

Isaac we need to figure this out. Ill be there tomorrow (Sat) afternoon,,, or write me at [email protected] and we`ll coordinate.

Weird

Turbo_Boss

Air Boss
Aircraft
Quicsilver MXII
I am in this very dilema right now! I can't believe this was just posted!!! I knew my recent headaches were a result of someone reading my thoughts...

I have an A6 being used with a Comtronics helmet. I can hear others, but no one, while using the helmet & PTT, can hear me.

When I had my A5, I used it through a Comtronics Dual Com II in my 2-place trike and everything worked fine. But now that I am only using the Icom A6, Helmet and PTT and now, nothing. What in the world...?

Thoughts anyone? I'm not eager to spend $99 on some Pre-Amp Patch! I just don't think I should need. But if I do, please clarify for me...

Doug
Hello Doug,

If you are using a Comtronic Helmet with a DYNAMIC MIC, you will need this PREAMP Gadget. Check the picture I have attach so you can identify how is a DYNAMIC MIC

The Comtronics Dual Com II has internally build in this Preamp and thas why it was working OK with your Icom radio BUT the problem is if you want to use your Helmet/Head set conected directly to your Icom radio WITHOUT the Comtronics Dual Com II

The problem is that the DYNAMIC MIC is 8ohm and the Radio works only with a 4ohm mic

So its look like you will need to assemble ones of this gadget or spend $99.00:eek:

I done a search and I found this PREAMP Schematic. I have not try it yet but if you know a little about electronics or haves somebody to help you, you can build it and try it.............If it work, you can put it inside the ear cup of your head set.

BTW, the schematic says Dynamic Mic to Electrec Mic. So you undertand better, the Electrec Mic is the one that is installed factory in your Icom radio were you talk. Electrec mic are 4ohm so thats why is work. What this gadget do is that the radio sees the Dynamic Mic as a Electrec one.

Isaac

Attachments

Last edited:

helipaddy

Aircraft
Dominator, ELA 07, B206L4 and B407
Total Flight Time
Around 250 days
another source of an Ampliifier that will work, pricey though, you may be able to get it for less.
http://www.davidclark.com/store/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=498

can you see the number on the transistor on the comtronics unit? It looks like you can see the numbers on everything on the board, If I had it I could redraw it.

helipaddy

Aircraft
Dominator, ELA 07, B206L4 and B407
Total Flight Time
Around 250 days
I might have a couple of telex headset preamplifiers in work but it will be a few days before Im back in. the Comtronics unit appears to have a filter to set the frequency response. also I think that the circuit you have may not work in your application. the radio can be fussy.

Turbo_Boss

Air Boss
Aircraft
Quicsilver MXII
I might have a couple of telex headset preamplifiers in work but it will be a few days before Im back in. the Comtronics unit appears to have a filter to set the frequency response. also I think that the circuit you have may not work in your application. the radio can be fussy.
Hey Helipaddy,

Thx for your help. :hail: I will wait until you check your preamps.

I am pretty sure a lot of people here including me will be gratefull to have the schematic and know the parts numbers to make this preamp without spending a lot :whoo:

Thx,

Isaac