Comtronics Helmet Question

GaryMac

Aircraft
Building a Genesis G1sa
Total Flight Time
Quick question....

I have a Yaesu (Vertex / Standard) VXA-220 radio.... it came with an adapter that allows two plug-ins. One for the headset and another for a PTT.

I'm doing some testing and learning how the radio operates.... my comtronics helmet cable doesn't fit well into the Vertex adapter.... Is this adapter made for another type of plug? I guess my question is.... is a Comtronics helmet different from a GA headset plug?

The fit is loose, and doesn't seem to seat all the way...... I have to hold the two cables together to get contact and reception, so obviously something is wrong.

I have two helmets from Comtronics.... both have the same problem. So I either have a bad cable from Vertex, or I need a different adapter because Comtronics is different from GA headsets.

Here's a pic... you can see the Comtronics cable into the Vertex on the far left.

Can someone with more experience comment, please?

Nevermind..... I figured it out.

Crap.... there are a couple of ways to solve my problem, and each one requires a cable adapter that costs over $100 bucks.

I can convert the Comtronics plug to a dual plug GA, so that it will work with my Vertex cable shown in the picture for only $130 from aircraft spruce.

Or... I can get a special cable from Comtronics that will make the Comtronics plug go directly to the Vertex radio, and it comes with a PTT cable built in.... this one is only $110 from aircraft spruce, but it is special order....

Decisions, decisions....... money, money......

A bottomless $$$-pit!!!

A bottomless $$$-pit!!!

:lol: .....welcome to the reality of the demands of your gyro-baby/mistress!!!

It's ALWAYS needing "somethingmore" .... avaition-related ... ALWAYS $$$$'s :help: ....decisions!!

:wave: .......after a while ... you just go $-numb & stop counting!!!!

Gary,
My suggestion would be to contact Comtronics directly and have Bruce make you the custom plugs for your specific radio. He builds in a specific amplifier to each cord dependant on your model of radio. That way, you wont take a chance on getting the wrong one from Spruce and you avoid the middle man costs.
The helmet headset coms are not really compatible with G/A headsets, even with adapters due to the needed amplifiers. The speaker ohms are different for each and must be wired accordingly. They kind of have the corner on their own market.
I used Comtronics for years when I had my trike and had no issues at all but it was set up for an Icom A-4.
Good luck with yours.

Nevermind..... I figured it out.

Crap.... there are a couple of ways to solve my problem, and each one requires a cable adapter that costs over $100 bucks.

I can convert the Comtronics plug to a dual plug GA, so that it will work with my Vertex cable shown in the picture for only $130 from aircraft spruce.

Or... I can get a special cable from Comtronics that will make the Comtronics plug go directly to the Vertex radio, and it comes with a PTT cable built in.... this one is only $110 from aircraft spruce, but it is special order....

Decisions, decisions....... money, money......
I'm just looking for a helmet myself.
Thank you for the heads up. This may help me save some money.
Abid recommends a helmet IIRC. Thought I'd search for one of the threads he posted on to find it or just PM him.
I don't know which one to choose or if they make them for Midgets/children's heads?

:lol: .....welcome to the reality of the demands of your gyro-baby/mistress!!!

It's ALWAYS needing "somethingmore" .... avaition-related ... ALWAYS $$$$'s :help: ....decisions!!

:wave: .......after a while ... you just go $-numb & stop counting!!!!
And I was hoping for and end, when paid for... Yeah RIGHT!

comtronics

comtronics

Be sure to get the adapter from Comtronics. You will nee the preamp. I used an adapter from Icom with my A-14 and Comtronics helmet and the transmission had very low volume. I had to replace the adapter with a Comtronics that has the built-in mike amp.

Be sure to get the adapter from Comtronics. You will nee the preamp. I used an adapter from Icom with my A-14 and Comtronics helmet and the transmission had very low volume. I had to replace the adapter with a Comtronics that has the built-in mike amp.
Now that is good to know!!!

Gary,
I'm leaving for a fly-in in the morning, but if you would like you can come over tonight or early tomorrow and test the one I have on your helmets and radio. I got if from Bear for $100. If interested PM me and I'll tell you where I'm at.