Comtronics Helmet Question

GaryMac

Aircraft
Building a Genesis G1sa
Total Flight Time
Quick question....

I have a Yaesu (Vertex / Standard) VXA-220 radio.... it came with an adapter that allows two plug-ins. One for the headset and another for a PTT.

I'm doing some testing and learning how the radio operates.... my comtronics helmet cable doesn't fit well into the Vertex adapter.... Is this adapter made for another type of plug? I guess my question is.... is a Comtronics helmet different from a GA headset plug?

The fit is loose, and doesn't seem to seat all the way...... I have to hold the two cables together to get contact and reception, so obviously something is wrong.

I have two helmets from Comtronics.... both have the same problem. So I either have a bad cable from Vertex, or I need a different adapter because Comtronics is different from GA headsets.

Here's a pic... you can see the Comtronics cable into the Vertex on the far left.

Can someone with more experience comment, please?

GaryMac

Aircraft
Building a Genesis G1sa
Total Flight Time
Nevermind..... I figured it out.

Crap.... there are a couple of ways to solve my problem, and each one requires a cable adapter that costs over $100 bucks.

I can convert the Comtronics plug to a dual plug GA, so that it will work with my Vertex cable shown in the picture for only $130 from aircraft spruce.

Or... I can get a special cable from Comtronics that will make the Comtronics plug go directly to the Vertex radio, and it comes with a PTT cable built in.... this one is only $110 from aircraft spruce, but it is special order....

Decisions, decisions....... money, money......

GyrOZprey

Aussie in Kansas.
Aircraft
Butterfly Aurora N5560Z / Titanium Explorer N456TE & N488TE/ - trained in MTOsport 446QT/488FB
Total Flight Time
A bottomless $$$-pit!!!

A bottomless $$$-pit!!!

:lol: .....welcome to the reality of the demands of your gyro-baby/mistress!!!

It's ALWAYS needing "somethingmore" .... avaition-related ... ALWAYS $$$$'s :help: ....decisions!!

:wave: .......after a while ... you just go $-numb & stop counting!!!!

mark treidel

Aircraft
AR-1
Total Flight Time
3000 +
Gary,
My suggestion would be to contact Comtronics directly and have Bruce make you the custom plugs for your specific radio. He builds in a specific amplifier to each cord dependant on your model of radio. That way, you wont take a chance on getting the wrong one from Spruce and you avoid the middle man costs.
The helmet headset coms are not really compatible with G/A headsets, even with adapters due to the needed amplifiers. The speaker ohms are different for each and must be wired accordingly. They kind of have the corner on their own market.
I used Comtronics for years when I had my trike and had no issues at all but it was set up for an Icom A-4.
Good luck with yours.

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Piper Archer, Aviomania G1sb
Total Flight Time
Not sure over 10,000+ logged FW, 260+ ultralights, sailplane, hang-gliders
Nevermind..... I figured it out.

Crap.... there are a couple of ways to solve my problem, and each one requires a cable adapter that costs over $100 bucks.

I can convert the Comtronics plug to a dual plug GA, so that it will work with my Vertex cable shown in the picture for only $130 from aircraft spruce.

Or... I can get a special cable from Comtronics that will make the Comtronics plug go directly to the Vertex radio, and it comes with a PTT cable built in.... this one is only $110 from aircraft spruce, but it is special order....

Decisions, decisions....... money, money......
I'm just looking for a helmet myself.
Thank you for the heads up. This may help me save some money.
Abid recommends a helmet IIRC. Thought I'd search for one of the threads he posted on to find it or just PM him.
I don't know which one to choose or if they make them for Midgets/children's heads?

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
:lol: .....welcome to the reality of the demands of your gyro-baby/mistress!!!

It's ALWAYS needing "somethingmore" .... avaition-related ... ALWAYS $$$$'s :help: ....decisions!!

:wave: .......after a while ... you just go $-numb & stop counting!!!!
And I was hoping for and end, when paid for... Yeah RIGHT!

cesphil

Aircraft
Cessna 150 and Dominator
Total Flight Time
comtronics

comtronics

Be sure to get the adapter from Comtronics. You will nee the preamp. I used an adapter from Icom with my A-14 and Comtronics helmet and the transmission had very low volume. I had to replace the adapter with a Comtronics that has the built-in mike amp.

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
Be sure to get the adapter from Comtronics. You will nee the preamp. I used an adapter from Icom with my A-14 and Comtronics helmet and the transmission had very low volume. I had to replace the adapter with a Comtronics that has the built-in mike amp.
Now that is good to know!!!

Ghetto Wash

Aircraft
PPC
Total Flight Time
Gary,
I'm leaving for a fly-in in the morning, but if you would like you can come over tonight or early tomorrow and test the one I have on your helmets and radio. I got if from Bear for $100. If interested PM me and I'll tell you where I'm at.