complete bensen gyrocopter for sale in OHIO

I just bought this

I just bought this

I just bought this today for $3000. It has been untouched since purchased by another in 2011. It still looks just like the pictures. Let the adventure begin.

gas-powered pre-rotator

gas-powered pre-rotator

More detailed pictures/info on that gas-powered pre-rotator mechanism, please.
It looks... original.
Brian

I just bought this today for $3000. It has been untouched since purchased by another in 2011. It still looks just like the pictures. Let the adventure begin.
There are many updates that need to be made before you attempt to fly it. I will let the experts chime in.

I'm all ears

I'm all ears

I'm an old Huey crewchief so fixing and maintaining will be as much fun as flying. I need to find flight training in southeast Wisconsin as well.

Smack - I'll post some pics soon. I'll take possession later this week.

Thanks for the feedback.

USAF Museum

USAF Museum

If you are coming to pick up this machine, take a half a day or more to visit the USAF Museum within 5 miles of Fairborn. Its Free & awesome!

that thing belongs in a museum not flying. who is going to teach you to fly with that style cyclic? are you starting from scratch as far as flight training? :eek:

that thing belongs in a museum not flying. who is going to teach you to fly with that style cyclic? are you starting from scratch as far as flight training? :eek:

It comes with the cyclic stick and associated linkages new-in-box.

I have flown UH-1H helicopters but only as a maintenance technician. During maintenance test flights the pilots would always let us fly the boring parts. Have shot many approaches but never past translational lift. So I think its accurate to say that I am starting from scratch.

Is this a death-trap? I don't want that, and its not too late to back out. The seller wouldn't take a check so I'm getting cash tomorrow.

Thanks for your blunt honesty - That's what I need!

Opinions please!!

IMHO, I would back out. For MANY reasons. Consider yourself lucky that he wouldn't take the check. I wouldn't call it a death trap but for a bit more money, you can get a much newer and safer gyro.

For the best, "pull no punches" opinion, contact GyroRon.

Last edited:
My opinion is the price can only be justified if the engine starts easily and runs very well, otherwise the rest of it is only worth a few hundred, to at most 1000 dollars. That's if the blades, head, and prerotator are all good.
I agree with Rando that Gyroron's assessment would be best. Maybe with your background and skills you should think of building a Gyrobee or Hornet or another gyro from scratch.

IMHO, I would back out. For MANY reasons. Consider yourself lucky that he wouldn't take the check. I wouldn't call it a death trap but for a bit more money, you can get a much newer and safer gyro.

For the best, "pull no punches" opinion, contact GyroRon.

Thanks Rando. I sent GyroRon a PM.

My opinion is the price can only be justified if the engine starts easily and runs very well, otherwise the rest of it is only worth a few hundred, to at most 1000 dollars. That's if the blades, head, and prerotator are all good.
I agree with Rando that Gyroron's assessment would be best. Maybe with your background and skills you should think of building a Gyrobee or Hornet or another gyro from scratch.

Thanks JazzenJohn. I have not run the engine. The current owner who has only stored it for the last 3+ years has not run it either. I guess it would be wise to at least hear it run. Boy - when I say it out loud it kinda goes without saying...

Its a museum piece.

IF.... the engine runs great, and the blades are in great shape, everything else can be gone through easily and for not much money. Convert the controls to under the seat conventional controls and then you have a flying gyroplane for under 4 grand.

If the blades are no good, or the engine is bad, then you have just a pile of old parts that have little value.

Even if the engine is running great, bear in mind these engines are the most UNRELIABLE engines you could possibly buy. Engine quitting at any moment will be the reality of owning and trying to fly this machine. To alot of people thats a big turn off. Knowing that you'd be a fool to try to fly it anywhere out of the pattern at the airport.

The engine has no muffler of any kind, so its going to be SUPER LOUD!!!

I personally wouldn't give more than 1500$ for it, assuming the blades and engine are good.

I agree with others, that you would be far better off building a gyrobee from plans than fooling around with this thing.

If you are not super heavy, say 150 -170 pounds, you might could fix up this bensen and replace the Mac drone engine with a Rotax and upgrade a few bits and pieces and end up with a decent gyro. But I would rather just build a gyrobee if I were wanting a cheap gyro and wanted a project to work on

I've got two KB3s for sale. One flying, one building. But, they are much more than this one. The plus is that they both have Rotax 582s on them.

I passed on the B8 so I'm a bit bummed about that. I'll give it a few days and see where my head is at.

Thanks to all for helping me make what I think is a wise decision.

Hi Rob,

I think you made the right choice.

Ideally it might be good to meet up with local gyro pilots, have a look at their flying gyros, have a listen to what they say. Any local flying gyros for sale ? Maybe get a flight in a two seater to see how that goes.

Find out what your local training options are - Good luck on your journey.

Dont crank up that motor with that gas tank !!!!!!! its rusted inside !!! its to old and if its been tank lined dont trust it it will leak bad. ... after looking at this $3000.00 gyro; mines worth $5000.00 without the motor.

Hello Robert:
If you can make Mentone next month;
you will be able to see a bunch of gyro's.
There will probally be some there for sale, normally is.

Last week of July
29 July - 1 Aug
Friday and Saturday have the most activity.

Find me and I will give you a ride in the Dominator.

Don't be too bummed. You saved a lot of time and money by passing on this gyro. It's tough to rebuild/redesign a gyro when you're brand new to the sport. Go to a Flyin or find some local gyros near you before you try to purchase a gyro.