Cog belt shred-o

Stan V

Aircraft
Piper Arrow/RAF2000
Total Flight Time
I have 1.8" deflection on the belt when it is cold
I run with a quarter inch deflection when cold, 1.8" seems excessive. What am I missing ?

jcarleto

Aluminum Supporter
Aircraft
Beech Bonanza G-35 N4638D/"The Bulldozer" 2-Place Gyroplane N575EE
Total Flight Time
Several
Someone once told me, "Gates belts shrink and get tighter when they heat up." This is, at worst, wrong and at best, a misunderstanding of what really is going on.

Gates has a recommended tension for all their belts. For the belts typically used in aircraft, a rough estimate is 1/4" play per foot of unsupported length. This seems loose, for those used to V-belts. The problem is that typical aircraft cogs are so large that when they (not the belt) heat up, the coefficient of expansion due to heat is enough to over-tension a belt that was already tight when cold.

Gates belts don't shrink with heat, but large metal cogs expand. It is best to set the belt to the tension after a significant warm-up.

Last edited:

eddie

RAF, turbo subaru 230hp
Aircraft
230 HP turbocharged RAF
Total Flight Time
8,000 plus
stan that is 1/8" of play sorry about the error.

Best regards,eddie.....

dinoa

It's not the belts that shrink. It's the metal heating when the engine warms up that tightens the belt. It halved the deflection on a Rotax 505 reduction I had.

Dino

jcarleto

Aluminum Supporter
Aircraft
Beech Bonanza G-35 N4638D/"The Bulldozer" 2-Place Gyroplane N575EE
Total Flight Time
Several
Dinoa,

Yes, perhaps I should have put that at the top of my post rather than at the end. To put my own experience in practical terms, I often took off with a "relatively" loose belt and returned with one that was "banjo tight."