cleaning carbs on a 914

Mike G

Aircraft
Owned Magni M16 now ELA 07
Total Flight Time
550FW + 500 gyro
I'm now trying to clean my carbs because I suspect (based on a lot of feedback from this forum and other people) that they are gummed up because I haven't run the engine since Summer.
I drained all the fuel out this evening and started to look at how I would take the carbs off to give them an overhaul, they've done nearly 650 hrs so I might as well give them a good check and replace the needles and jets.

What's the best way to take these carbs off, do I take the airbox off the intake/blower side and pull the carbs away from the prop end or do I take the inlet manifolds off the engine and pull the carbs towards the prop?

Does anyone have any other experience or ideas??

Mike G

Well the best way is to drink near a full carton(30) beers, tipping the last yucky bit on the dirt around the machine to stop some of the dust, then get the trusty screw driver, and attack it.
No seriously, just start off slow and remove everything in an order you can remember, better still have someone write it down as you go, and remove the carbs from the motor, now i dont think you need to worry about the top side of the carb, lots of stuff in there, just remaove the bowls,,,,, hang on a minute, just a question, have you ever removed the carb bowls to check for water???????
I will check for your answer before continueing...

Bones
I don't see how you remove the bowls without removing the carbs first.

Mike G

Bones
I don't see how you remove the bowls without removing the carbs first.

This is easy. There's a wire bracket holding the float chambers against the carb body. Pushing the bracket out takes some tempered amount of force but can usually be accomplished without additional tools.

Pulling the float chamber off, be sure to catch the gasket which seals the chamber to the body. This is a cork gasket which, when you put it on slightly askew, will not seal properly. Also, take care not to drop it, since dirt will also degrade the seal. It might be a good idea to stock up on a pair of those.

Take out the two floats and check the chamber for corrosion and dirt. Clean it thoroughly using some Scotch Brite. Be sure to rinse off all debris using fuel. Then reseat the floats, put the gasket back on and put the chamber back on the carb body. Take special care that the gasket is sitting just right or you'll get a leaky carb.

Afterwards, start the engine and let it warm up a couple of minutes. Then shut it down and check the carb for leaks. Wipe everything clean and let it sit for a an hour or so. Then re-check to make sure there isn't a slow weepy leak either.

Greetings, -- Chris.

Thanks, I`m away from home at the moment so will get back to you after Christmas.
Have a good one.
Mike G

I've posted a question under "engines".
Chris, my float chamber is bolted on, I suppose it's because its an old engine.

Mike G