Chuck Beaty

Chuck's evaluation of PIO, PPO, thrustline alignment, and the value of horizontal stabilisers certainly convinced me.

Hard to judge how many lives he saved over the years, but I'd bet it's a good few, and likely includes mine.

Before Todd,s forum, there was Norm's forum, and before that, there were the newsgroups.

Chuck and Craig Wall beat the stability drum, and it worked.

An article written by him on that subject, found in a Lithuanian website...

Not al all. I recall that Chuck favored the VR-7 airfoil for gyroplane rotor blades as the best one to provide the most lift with the least amount of drag while in autoratation. Chuck and Ernie collaborated in the design of the Dragon Wings.

Wayne
The original Dragon Wings airfoil was an original design of dad’s then Chuck plotted the airfoil and found the NACA number for it. Dad developed the production version with tip weights and positive twist at the tip and negative at the root. This was all at the suggestion of Chuck. Chuck also made the suggestion of the brand of glue to use.

Very sorry to hear of his passing Mike. I had the privelige of going for dinner with Chuck, your Dad and Dick DeGraw the last time I was in Florida. I was totally in awe at being in the company of such amazing people that achieved so much in the rotary wing world. It’s a memory I will treasure. He achieved so much and I’m glad you have great memories of him.

Paddy

I am really sorry to hear this!! My condolences to Mike and everyone close to Chuck. A Legend and a wealth of knowledge is lost. Chuck was always helpful to anyone interested in learning. My designs were greatly influenced by his knowledge and experience!!!

He will be missed!!!

Last edited:
The original Dragon Wings airfoil was an original design of dad’s then Chuck plotted the airfoil and found the NACA number for it. Dad developed the production version with tip weights and positive twist at the tip and negative at the root. This was all at the suggestion of Chuck. Chuck also made the suggestion of the brand of glue to use.
Just one of the many examples of how Chuck contributed to the continued development, improvement, and increased safety margin of gyroplanes.

Here's an opportunity for the PRA to create an innovation and improvement design award in Chuck's name to be given out yearly to keep his legacy alive.

Thank you Mike. BTW, please stay safe away from the incoming path of the hurricane.

Wayne

I’m inland quite a distance. I’m not in a flood zone. Currently I’m injured and can’t do much. Girlfriend has to do all the prep. We shall see. Might be laying here in bed tuning on the generator till I’m out of gas. Hopefully it stays off the coast more than they are predicting. Been through a direct hit of a cat2 it wasn’t too bad.

I’m inland quite a distance. I’m not in a flood zone. Currently I’m injured and can’t do much. Girlfriend has to do all the prep. We shall see. Might be laying here in bed tuning on the generator till I’m out of gas. Hopefully it stays off the coast more than they are predicting. Been through a direct hit of a cat2 it wasn’t too bad.
Wishing the best for you, Mike. Take care.

I didn't know Chuck and hadn't any interaction with him, but was aware of his many contributions to gyros. I am sorry for his loss.

Our two Heroes (Ralph Taggart and Chuck Beaty) at Ernie's party 200?. Amazing, how precise, clear and live they could express their thoughts ( without rubbery bureaucratic BS)

Attachments

• Scan.jpeg
    Scan.jpeg
    158.7 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
I had heard of Chuck's passing a couple of weeks ago. Everyday mulling over his passing, his families loss and what he meant to the community. Chuck was really great, a wealth of knowledge and experience he shared so freely. My evolution from the Gryobee by Taggart, to the KB2 and then to the 3DRV was fueled by Chucks comments on design and safety. His postings on the old site and this one, all contained a wealth of knowledge and explained in a way anyone could understand. Well if you couldn't Chuck would just make it simpler.

Only having talked back and forth on the forums and in PM's with Chuck is the only way I knew Chuck. He was a very good man to me, gave me the knowledge and the information needed on several of my projects over the years. All of it good and based on Chuck's experiences.

The last few years I have been absent a lot, working and moving. No projects and not really on the forum, just no time. I dropped Chuck a message from time to time, and never heard back. Just assuming he was busy too. That lost time, missed conversations are sadly missed and now gone forever.

Well Chuck, thanks for all you did not only for me, but everyone you helped, saved and inspired. Clear skies and smooth air. Goodbye Chuck.

David

I came to know Chuck when I was a college freshman. I volunteered to be my local PRA Chapter's newsletter editor. An unexpected perk of this job was that my P.O. box at school became the recipient of other chapters' newsletters. Among these was Chuck's wonderful Sunstate club bulletin ("bull" for short) It was full of Chuck's technical analysis of gyro design topics.

Although he was friendly with Dr. B., Chuck didn't automatically toe the Bensen party line. He presented the math in understandable terms, and came to his own conclusions. I was taking a couple engineering courses at the time. Chuck's logical and factual approach was recognizable and downright inspiring. I followed suit as well as I could.

In response to a letter I wrote to Chuck about engines (remember letters, boys and girls?), he sent me a multi-page handwritten discourse, in perfect engineer's lettering, complete with diagrams.

Much, much later, I met Chuck in Florida. He helped with our little project at Bensen Days, mapping the propwash of various gyros to see where a H-stab might best be located.

Chuck didn't tolerate the fake-scientific B.S. that we sometimes get fed in this hobby. He didn't play favorites when unmasking assorted nonsense pushed by sellers of homebuilt-rotorcraft goods. Since he never sold gyro products himself, he could afford to be totally even-handed in these critiques.

Personally, Chuck enjoyed playing up his rural southern background (plowing with mules as a kid, chewing tobacco, and the like), while glossing over his PhD in physics and overseas work experience in the corporate technical world. In those respects, he reminded me more than anyone of the character Doc in John Steinbeck's Cannery Row novels.

It takes a masterful grasp of a topic, and a certain special talent, to make complex topics understandable to ordinary folk. Chuck was a genius at that.

When someone I admire dies, the best memorial I know how to provide is to try to adopt that person's best traits myself. But it's too late to start that now with Chuck -- 'cause I've already been trying for decades!

Thanks for all the enlightenment, Chuck.

I am not participating to this forum since the rare home maker projets are mostly commented by people that don't put their ass in the gyros they have designed and built, but of course having learnt Mr Chuck Beaty had passed away I can't do anything else then posting something here for him .

So Mr Beaty, I will always remember how kind you were replying to my numerous stupid questions and comments about gyros ..

you taught me something I verified so many times studying a bit of science trying to understand your posts ... : gyroplane like science in general is So counter intuitive that first thing we all have to do (me first) is think a lot and study a lot before stating anything in this field.

your saying (the issue with twin blades teetering rotor is that anybody can make anything fly) is burnt into my mind ...

lastly I will never forget your good words and your patience with ignorants like me ..

I will remember you .. I am really sad

I came to know Chuck when I was a college freshman. I volunteered to be my local PRA Chapter's newsletter editor. An unexpected perk of this job was that my P.O. box at school became the recipient of other chapters' newsletters. Among these was Chuck's wonderful Sunstate club bulletin ("bull" for short) It was full of Chuck's technical analysis of gyro design topics.

Although he was friendly with Dr. B., Chuck didn't automatically toe the Bensen party line. He presented the math in understandable terms, and came to his own conclusions. I was taking a couple engineering courses at the time. Chuck's logical and factual approach was recognizable and downright inspiring. I followed suit as well as I could.

In response to a letter I wrote to Chuck about engines (remember letters, boys and girls?), he sent me a multi-page handwritten discourse, in perfect engineer's lettering, complete with diagrams.

Much, much later, I met Chuck in Florida. He helped with our little project at Bensen Days, mapping the propwash of various gyros to see where a H-stab might best be located.

Chuck didn't tolerate the fake-scientific B.S. that we sometimes get fed in this hobby. He didn't play favorites when unmasking assorted nonsense pushed by sellers of homebuilt-rotorcraft goods. Since he never sold gyro products himself, he could afford to be totally even-handed in these critiques.

Personally, Chuck enjoyed playing up his rural southern background (plowing with mules as a kid, chewing tobacco, and the like), while glossing over his PhD in physics and overseas work experience in the corporate technical world. In those respects, he reminded me more than anyone of the character Doc in John Steinbeck's Cannery Row novels.

It takes a masterful grasp of a topic, and a certain special talent, to make complex topics understandable to ordinary folk. Chuck was a genius at that.

When someone I admire dies, the best memorial I know how to provide is to try to adopt that person's best traits myself. But it's too late to start that now with Chuck -- 'cause I've already been trying for decades!

Thanks for all the enlightenment, Chuck.
Thank you for that Doug. He sure was a great influence on me. Although I was young I knew I was in the presence of intellectual legend. I would ask he and dad questions just to get them talking and sit and listen. Funny story about the chewing tobacco. He stopped smoking for a New Years revolution I think in 1989-90 and began chewing. He would go fly his gyro and we realized he would only fly for 7 minutes at a time. Dad said I think I know why he does that. When he lands he immediately spits a huge amount. We asked him and he said yeah I have to land because that’s all I can hold in my mouth. We all laughed. Every time he flew it was exactly 7 minutes each time.

Heartsick. What a major loss to our community. My best wishes and condolences to family and friends.
So glad he lived to see that PRA honors him to this day when I added the Chuck Beaty Engineering award.
To be awarded to anyone bringing a new product or upgrade to rotorcraft.

He emailed me, thanking me for remembering him.