Chuck Beaty

Very sad to hear! We all learnt so much from him about these much misunderstood class of machines. His style was minimalist and no one packed more into each word than he did on this forum.

I met him once at BD in the early 2000s and he was very generous with his time. May he rest in peace.

Oh, that hurts.
He was a guiding light of reason on this forum.
Long live his postings, may they never be deleted.
We should collect them for posterity. They'll save lives.

So sorry Mike ...to hear of the profound loss of a very special family member!
Appreciate your post & recollections of a life-time of memories with Chuck ...he was a legend ...along with Marion & many other US gyro-pioneers!
Yes we are all a lot poorer here on the forum ...knowing there will be no more posts from Chuck ...sharing & helping newbies!
RIP Chuck and enjoy your angel-wings!

Oh, that hurts.
He was a guiding light of reason on this forum.
Long live his postings, may they never be deleted.
We should collect them for posterity. They'll save lives.
Rcflier, You are absolutely right, Chuck did save lives, maybe including mine (e.g., how to cure Mac attacks, e.g., machine 0.065" off the top inch of the pistons). I got to meet him at the '75 Rockford PRA flyin and later at local flyins in Florida. Always a great technical discussion. BTW, I believe he spent many years working for Piper Aircraft.

RIP CHUCK.

Rcflier, You are absolutely right, Chuck did save lives, maybe including mine (e.g., how to cure Mac attacks, e.g., machine 0.065" off the top inch of the pistons). I got to meet him at the '75 Rockford PRA flyin and later at local flyins in Florida. Always a great technical discussion. BTW, I believe he spent many years working for Piper Aircraft.

RIP CHUCK.
He did not work for Piper. We bought a load of metal from recycled metal place that came from Piper. That’s the closest he ever came to working there. He was an amateur and aeronautical department. His professional career was in microwave industry. He owed two Successful companies that had many contracts with the government for microwave technology. One was called Track microwave which he sold in the early 80’s Then started a smaller company call Radio Frequency Devices which he sold and retired from in the late 80’s. He didn’t talk about his work much because he couldn’t because of the top secret nature of his work. I do remember when Reagan hit Libya Chuck was cheering because the F111 used his guidance system for the bombs that hit the house. All of the aeronautical knowledge that he had was self taught and from experience in gyros as far as I know.

I'm from the old forum where Chuck used his endless patience to explain gyro stability to us simple laymen. I learned so much from him.
I saw him at Mentone a couple of times but didn't really get to spend time with him, my loss.
Thank you Chuck, enjoy your heavenly rewards.

Old forum, new forum...
I do not have access to the "old forum", but I agree with those that have suggested that it would be a GREAT idea to gather all of Chuck's wisdom into a central place. I've learned much from him and I'm sure that his knowledge would benefit of and future aviators if it was in a searchable format. Any of you IT/data types able to do this?
If the RF could create a "Chuck Beaty" folder.... wow.
Godspeed, Chuck.

Well, how about collecting post of Doug Riley - in time?
While he can still help.

Edit: I thought it was Doug Riley, who had passed.
A kind of early obituary...:giggle:
But what I wrote goes for Chuck Beaty just as well (y)

Last edited:
So sorry to hear this and my sincere condolences to you Mike and all others, who were close to Chuck. He was a true original and an incredibly talented and patient teacher with an unfathomable wealth of knowledge. I had the pleasure of meeting him in person once and he was the humble and friendly guy in person as he was here. A fantastic talent lost. May he rest in peace.

Kai.

I think one of the best interviews recorded with Ernie & Chuck was made by "Mitch" ..Greg Mitchelll from OZ when over here 10 years ago for the PRA 50th! I sure hope someone with good search skills can find & post it here!

So sad. Prayers for the family. He will be missed. Chuck had great knowledge and inspired many of us.

Old forum, new forum...
I do not have access to the "old forum", but I agree with those that have suggested that it would be a GREAT idea to gather all of Chuck's wisdom into a central place. I've learned much from him and I'm sure that his knowledge would benefit of and future aviators if it was in a searchable format. Any of you IT/data types able to do this?
If the RF could create a "Chuck Beaty" folder.... wow.
Godspeed, Chuck.
It would be nice if members could actually do a search to find all old postings of ANY forum member, past or present.
For some reason that is entirely beyond my ken, that does not seem to be possible, unfortunately.

Heard about his passing from Dave Seace today. so sad to loose such a genius.
Good story from Mike Boyette. A compilation of all his posts is a great idea.
He sat in my gyro once, and his comment was “artistry in metal”.

Chuck's evaluation of PIO, PPO, thrustline alignment, and the value of horizontal stabilisers certainly convinced me.

Hard to judge how many lives he saved over the years, but I'd bet it's a good few, and likely includes mine.

Before Todd,s forum, there was Norm's forum, and before that, there were the newsgroups.

Chuck and Craig Wall beat the stability drum, and it worked.

I met Chuck in 1974 at Bensen's day, while I was being trained by Bill Parsons and Dave Prater.
RIP Chuck

Thank you for sharing that video Mike.

Is it true that the dragon wings used the Boeing-Vertol VR-7 airfoil with reflex?

Wayne

1664080482628.png

Thank you for sharing that video Mike.

Is it true that the dragon wings used the Boeing-Vertol VR-7 airfoil with reflex?

Wayne

View attachment 1155889
No dad used a 230105 for the small blades. He built a few wider cord blades that used that VR-7 airfoil I think. They are the ones that Joe Piers is flying on his machine.

Last edited: