Chris, aka dirtydog crashed at wrens

ultracruiser41

Gold Member
Aircraft
Cavalon,Snobird+, Ryan PT 22,JetGyro,Titan T51,TwinStar, Radial Rocket Gyro, HummelBird
Total Flight Time
Too many to count
Miss ya Chris.
We'll fly together again some day.
God bless you and your family.

Dale Young

Aircraft
Gyrobee, Grumman AA1-A
Total Flight Time
70 hrs/gyro FW/ GOD only knows!!
R.I.P. Dirtydog.

R.I.P. Dirtydog.

Spoke to him a few times by phone. Looked forward to meetimg him, but life, somehow always got in the way. He was a really nice fellow. He really enjoyed this stuff. He will be sorely missed.

NetPilot

Tryin' to Re-Member
Aircraft
2016 Rotax 503 "Jake-inator" (i.e. Gyro Jake's 2016 creation)
Total Flight Time
225+
Breaking heart...

Breaking heart...

While over there today, Mark Linn and myself met and spoke with Chris's brother in the morning and later in the early afternoon, Chris's dad came by on his "Closure Tour" in the Wrens area. Both were happy to hear that Chris was well thought of by the gyro community and accepted our condolences to them on behalf of the community. His dad said "At least he died while doing something he loved."
Thanks Harold for relaying this information to the folks here. I feel extremely honored that we had the chance to meet Chris' brother and Dad yesterday, and that we had the opportunity to express how well respected and loved Chris was in the gyro community. I sincerely hope that Chris' family can take away some glimmer of comfort knowing this.

Thanks Gabor and Greg for the pictures. Although it wrenched my gut out to see them (holding back the tears as I write this) it helped to bring back some good memories.

I first met Chris in 2009 at Goose Creek Fall fly-in. And, as many of you have attested, I was immediately pulled-in by his seemingly boundless enthusiasm, his infectious smile, and his willingness to engage and share. Chris' love for his family was clearly evident in the course of our conversations and I very quickly sensed that he was the kind of guy who would drive across the country at a moment's notice (or otherwise, go way out of his way) to help a friend in need. Chris' great personality was one of the things that I looked forward to most when heading out to the various fly-ins.

Hardly a ten minute period has gone by since I was greeted with this terrible news that my heart has not re-broken for the loss of this great guy, and for his family.

Hope to meet up with you again in Heaven "Dog." You were an inspiration.

Mark

NetPilot

Tryin' to Re-Member
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
225+
Funeral arrangements

Funeral arrangements

Chris' Dad told us that he expected the funeral to be held on Wednesday, in Claxton Georgia, at the Nesmith funeral home. Here is the pertinent information.

J Mellie Nesmith Funeral Home
513 W Main Street
Claxton, GA 30417
(912) 739-3338

He also said that obituary information should soon be available at one of these newspaper sites below. But, as I write this, it does not seem to be out there:

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/savannah/

http://www.claxtonenterprise.com/v2/content.aspx?ID=2296&MemberID=1304

jcarleto

Aluminum Supporter
Aircraft
Beech Bonanza G-35 N4638D/"The Bulldozer" 2-Place Gyroplane N575EE
Total Flight Time
Several
Thanks for that, Mark. I've been watching the papers for the funeral info.

cgmg

Aircraft
Empty hangar right now, have owned and flown Air Command & RAF
Total Flight Time
My condolences to the family, always hate to hear things like this...

gyroplanes

FAA DAR Gyropilot
Aircraft
(2) Air Commands, (1) Barnett, (1) Parsons modified 2 place, (1) Beechcraft Sundowner
Total Flight Time
Dirty dog, My dirty dog, Dogbee gyro.... I asked Chris, "Why don't you give your dog a bath"?

Chris lit up and replied that the Dirty dog was his best buddy, his 4 legged companion. Chris and I talked of the companionship of dogs and the great comfort and joy they can bring. Chris was just that kind of guy.

choppergabor

Aircraft
N65GK Behemoth
Total Flight Time
Too few to mention
This is coming from Chris's sister Debra: It was comforting reading the comments. We have a tentative time set for Thursday @ 1:30 @ NeSmith Funeral Home in Claxton, Ga. We are waiting for Atlanta to release him and have him transported home. Will let you all know, when we know. Also, do you all have some kind of aviation fund or something to make contributions to on Chris's behalf. I think he would appreciate that more than flowers.

fiveboy

I FLY THE JUNGLE JET!
Aircraft
AC Tandem Elite F30
Total Flight Time
Almost 200 hours
Ad Astra

Ad Astra

Perhaps they are not the stars, but rather openings in Heaven where the love of our lost ones pours through and shines down upon us to let us know they are happy. ~Author Unknown​

MichaelBurton

Gyro CFI
Aircraft
Sparrowhawk, B95, AC680, BE23, Calidus, MTO Sport, Cavalon, Vortex, Dominator, WindRyder, RAF2000
Total Flight Time
6000+ over 3000 hrs in gyro
All my love and sympathy go out to his family and those that loved him.

"Our birth is but a sleep and a forgetting:
The Soul that rises with us, our life's Star,
Hath had elsewhere its setting,
And cometh from afar:
Not in entire forgetfulness,
And not in utter nakedness,
But trailing clouds of glory do we come
From God, who is our home:
Heaven lies about us in our infancy!
Shades of the prison-house begin to close
Upon the growing Boy,
But He beholds the light, and whence it flows,
He sees it in his joy;
The Youth, who daily farther from the east
Must travel, still is Nature's Priest,
And by the vision splendid
Is on his way attended;
At length the Man perceives it die away,
And fade into the light of common day."

William Wordsworth

NetPilot

Tryin' to Re-Member
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
225+
AngelFlight for contributions?

AngelFlight for contributions?

This is coming from Chris's sister Debra: It was comforting reading the comments... Also, do you all have some kind of aviation fund or something to make contributions to on Chris's behalf. I think he would appreciate that more than flowers.
Does anyone know of a worthwhile aviation fund, charity, or scholarship?

If not, I have heard good things about this one. And, it is based in Georgia, which I think Chris would like:

https://www.angelflightsoars.org/index.htm

I could contact this organization to see if they could take donations specifically in memory of Chris. PM me if you would be interested, or post if you can think of something else.

Other ideas?

M

GyrOZprey

Aussie in Kansas.
Aircraft
Butterfly Aurora N5560Z / Titanium Explorer N456TE & N488TE/ - trained in MTOsport 446QT/488FB
Total Flight Time
For Chris B. "DirtyDog" & his family. with loving thoughts & prayers for all of us who grieve his absence from our physical realm!

The Final flight

Don't grieve for me, for now I am free
I'm following the path God laid for me.
I took His hand when I heard His call,
I turned my back and left it all.

I could not stay another day,
To laugh, to love, to build, to play.
Tasks left undone must stay that way.
I've found that peace at the end of the day.

If my parting has left a void,
then fill it with remembered joy,
A friendship shared,a laugh,a kiss,
Ah ,yes, these things too I will miss.

Be not burdened with times of sorrow,
I wish you the sunshine of tomorrow.
My life's been full, I savored much,
good family,good times, a loved ones touch.

My time has come, do not be sad,
I am ready, rejoice, be glad.
Lift up your heart and share with me,
God wanted me now, he set me free!

Author : unknown.

Dirtydog

Best seat in the house!
Aircraft
Dogbee / Gyrobee
Total Flight Time
18 duel/ 55 hrs in the Dogbee
Chris' Arrangements

Chris' Arrangements

Chris' family wishes to Thank You for all your Kind Words and Prayers! The services will be at NeSmith Funeral Home, 513 W Main St, Claxton Ga. Visitation is Wednesday 6/13 from 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM. The funeral is Thursday 6/14 at 1:30 PM.

The Bowens

jcarleto

Aluminum Supporter
Aircraft
Beech Bonanza G-35 N4638D/"The Bulldozer" 2-Place Gyroplane N575EE
Total Flight Time
Several
Angel Flight is a first-class organization. They enlist volunteer pilots to transport patients and family to and from medical facilities for treatment who cannot otherwise afford or manage the trip. They run at a very low operational overhead, meaning that the lion's share of a donation actually goes to getting the job done.

WaspAir

Supreme Allied Gyro CFI
Aircraft
Bell 47G-3B-1 / A&S 18A / Phoebus C, etc.
Total Flight Time
stopped caring at 1000
Does anyone know of a worthwhile aviation fund, charity, or scholarship?

If not, I have heard good things about this one. And, it is based in Georgia, which I think Chris would like:

https://www.angelflightsoars.org/index.htm

I could contact this organization to see if they could take donations specifically in memory of Chris. PM me if you would be interested, or post if you can think of something else.

Other ideas?

M
The AOPA Foundation Air Safety Institute (formerly, the Air Safety Foundation) is a good one as well. They sponsor free safety courses online and all over the country.
http://www.aopa.org/asf/

BEN S

Aircraft
Sportcopter Vortex "light"
Total Flight Time
200+
This has been one of the nicest and most heartfelt threads of its kind. A real testament to Chris interaction with us all.
Perhaps this belongs in another thread, but has anybody determined a cause?
Sorry if this is in the wrong place,
Ben S

choppergabor

Aircraft
N65GK Behemoth
Total Flight Time
Too few to mention
Well I did ask his Sister what the autopsy has revealed. I am waiting for her answer. As soon as I know I'll let you know OK?

BEN S

Aircraft
Sportcopter Vortex "light"
Total Flight Time
200+
Ok...I appreciate it, I think all of us flyers think the same thing when something like this happens...."natural causes..natural causes...please be natural causes.."
Nobody wants to find some kind of aerodynamic anomaly that grounds an entire type of gyro, but if that's what it is better to know in advance, right?
Ben S

Steve_UK

Aircraft
I'm not a pilot but have been lucky enough to fly in Mi-24 Hind, Mi-2, Mi-17, Lynx HAS3, Gliders, GA
Hi

Sorry to hear of this second recent US fatal accident - am I right in thinking this is a second non "N" registered gyro ( it does not appear on the NTSB listing for June ) - as such it might or might not get investigated- if it doesn't then the cause will not be known - this would be a real shame.

The earlier PRA Investigation Team forum thread got sidetracked into bickering here - I hope the PRA or another competent body get to investigate this and the earlier ultralight Honeybee G2 accident - facts need to be determined.

choppergabor

Aircraft
N65GK Behemoth
Total Flight Time
Too few to mention
Yes Ben I for one hope from the bottom of my hearth that he did not live by the time the machine caught on fire. That is my hope as that would be the easiest thing to accept. Well under the circumstances.....that would be my choice.