Chinese Made Rotax knockoffs are being sold in Europe

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Piper Archer, Aviomania G1sb
Total Flight Time
Not sure over 10,000+ logged FW, 260+ ultralights, sailplane, hang-gliders
I remember well the first Jap bikes to enter the UK and the comments we Brit bikers made regards Jap junk. My BSA, Triumph, Royal Enfield were the kings of the road.

Look now

If you want to protect your home products

1. ensure they evolve with the latest technology

2. Do not assume that competition is inferior

British car manufacturing went the same way.

But, at the end of the day, if home built products are not up to scratch, do not answer consumers demands, then imports will and should win the day.
That is excellent specific advice for individual companies. Many have disappeared that have not evolved. It really needs to be a passion to improve the product, like Royce of Rolls Royce had. He did not care what it cost or for the money. He wanted to make it better just to be the best.

Jazzenjohn

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
I've designed, built, and flown 4 different ultralight gyros. Amassing parts for a 2 place now.
Total Flight Time
400+
If someone flew 100 hours a year (above average) then the Rotax's TBO of 2000 hours would be 20 years. The price difference of ~6000 would amount to 300 per year. I question both the quality control of size, fit, and finish, as well as the quality of materials. I can see their might be some pressure on Rotax to lower their prices, which would be welcome.

JETLAG03

Total Flight Time
300+ flexwing (pendulaire) newly trained on gyrocopter ((autogire)11h)
Anyone actually examined these engines? or is this a knee jerk reaction based on historic data/histeria

Philbennett

One thing that will be of more immediate interest is that if these engines are very similar then the first thing to come under pressure will be Rotax parts

GyroRon

Former Gyro know it all
Aircraft
Vans RV4 / Dominator 582 Ultrawhite
Total Flight Time
ALOT
The price difference needs to be more for me to ever want to try one.

Which really is a catch-22... If its Super cheap, then you question whether it was made to similar quality as Rotax, but if its only slightly less expensive then why buy it when you don't know how good of a engine it will actually be.

Made in China is not a bad thing. Many things we use daily are made in China. It is all a matter of how well it is made.... And obviously there is plenty of not so well made stuff that comes out of China.

okikuma

We have a really informative WINNER!!! As usual from my most experienced friend Wayne.

Hi Wayne... I'm BACK after 8 months of heck!!!
Welcome back John!

The success of any manufactured product is the level of quality control. At an earlier time of my life, I use to rebuild VW Type 1 engines for my enjoyment. Early on, I discovered vast differences in the level of quality of aftermarket parts. For cylinders, pistons, rings, rods and bearings, component weight and tolerances varied greatly. I spent hours that the manufactured didn't equalizing component weights and matching tolerances. In doing so, my engines lasted much longer than my friends that just slapped parts together and drive.

John, will I see you at KBFFI? Missed you last year.

Wayne

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Piper Archer, Aviomania G1sb
Total Flight Time
Not sure over 10,000+ logged FW, 260+ ultralights, sailplane, hang-gliders
Welcome back John!

The success of any manufactured product is the level of quality control. At an earlier time of my life, I use to rebuild VW Type 1 engines for my enjoyment. Early on, I discovered vast differences in the level of quality of aftermarket parts. For cylinders, pistons, rings, rods and bearings, component weight and tolerances varied greatly. I spent hours that the manufactured didn't equalizing component weights and matching tolerances. In doing so, my engines lasted much longer than my friends that just slapped parts together and drive.

John, will I see you at KBFFI? Missed you last year.

Wayne
Yaw Mon. I look forward to visiting you there!

chrisk

Gyroplane CFI
Aircraft
Magni M24, Turbo Mooney 231
Total Flight Time
All I have to say is the Chinese can't possibly make floats that are worse quality than Rotax. And if they did, they would charge $15 for a pair, instead o $175. --Rotax in general makes a good product, but their customer service is some what lacking. --Ok, admit your floats have a problem, tell customers to swap at annual, and charge $15 per pair. Move on with happy customers who are willing to pay $30k+ for an engine.

fara

AR-1 gyro manufacturer
Aircraft
AR-1
Total Flight Time
4000+ 380 gyroplanes. Sport CFI Gyro and Trikes
All I have to say is the Chinese can't possibly make floats that are worse quality than Rotax. And if they did, they would charge $15 for a pair, instead o $175. --Rotax in general makes a good product, but their customer service is some what lacking. --Ok, admit your floats have a problem, tell customers to swap at annual, and charge $15 per pair. Move on with happy customers who are willing to pay $30k+ for an engine.

It was the German Engineering not able to make the floats right anymore. i-e., Bing
Rotax has finally switched to a UK manufacturer of floats I have heard and problem should finally be better