Chinese Made Rotax knockoffs are being sold in Europe

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Piper Archer, Aviomania G1sb
Total Flight Time
Not sure over 10,000+ logged FW, 260+ ultralights, sailplane, hang-gliders
China has made replicas of the Rotax 912, 912ULS, 914, and 915. Apparently, they are identical and essentially can replace the Rotax with the same bolt pattern.
They are for sale in Europe with a dealer there representing them (see below), but I haven't seen any US distributors yet.
The 912uls is about $5000 less and the 915is is about $19000 less!!
Competition is the only thing that reduces prices when you have a monopoly.
Would you buy a knockoff?
What are the communities Thoughts?

Click here to learn more from the dealer's website

fara

AR-1 gyro manufacturer
Aircraft
AR-1
Total Flight Time
4000+ 380 gyroplanes. Sport CFI Gyro and Trikes
China has made replicas of the Rotax 912, 912ULS, 914, and 915. Apparently, they are identical and essentially can replace the Rotax with the same bolt pattern.
They are for sale in Europe with a dealer there representing them (see below), but I haven't seen any US distributors yet.
The 912uls is about $5000 less and the 915is is about $19000 less!!

Click here to learn more from the dealer's website
There is no replica of 912iS and 915iS. Those still hold patents. 912, 912ULS and 914 have expired patents. That is what they have copied

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
There is no replica of 912iS and 915iS. Those still hold patents. 912, 912ULS and 914 have expired patents. That is what they have copied
Thank you for correcting the article's information I paraphrased! Went back and looked and the iS models were incorrectly listed.

WaspAir

Supreme Allied Gyro CFI
Aircraft
Bell 47G-3B-1 / A&S 18A / Phoebus C, etc.
Total Flight Time
stopped caring at 1000
I have to wonder what inventions they have claimed in the difference between a 912 and 912iS. Not every design change is patentable.

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
I have to wonder what inventions they have claimed in the difference between a 912 and 912iS. Not every design change is patentable.
Dang Jon... do not ask ME!!!
Those are the questions I/PRA ask our expert in the law.

YOU!

Brian Jackson

Platinum Member
Aircraft
GyroBee Variant - Under Construction
My main concern would be with materials. In the construction industry I'm in we avoid using any Chinese metals. There have been too many quality control and alloy issues. Ends up costing more to fix than buying the real stuff from the get-go. But I am interested to learn more about these engines from independent sources after some history has been established.

Resasi

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Gyrs, RAF 2000/Mgni/Bnsn/Hrnet/Mrlin/Crckt/MT-03/Lyzlle AV18-A/Prdtor. Pax ArrowCopter
Total Flight Time
100+ gyro, 16,000+ other
Absolutely and emphatically not from China.

Chinese goods flooded into Kenya and almost without exception all are of an inferior quality.

My life, I feel, is worth more that a few thousand dollars!!

Last edited:

j bird

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Dominator/Airworthiness Certificate 9/06/12
Total Flight Time
26.5 duel,RAF,Sparrow-Hawk,Cavalon,Calidus.
My Task Master 3 cylinder diesel tractor built in China is 16 years old and still runs like the day I bought it, only thing I've done to it is replace the battery.

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
My Task Master 3 cylinder diesel tractor built in China is 16 years old and still runs like the day I bought it, only thing I've done to it is replace the battery.
China is on the same path as Japan was coming out of WWII. It took them until the 1960's before they rebuilt their manufacturing facilities, roads, ports, and infrastructure. At first, they made copies of US toys, then they copied electronics TV's, tape recorders, radio's etc. Then they started creating improved electronics of those same products, then cars follow the same copying path as electronics. Then they started improving our assembly line methods and improving their cars equal or better than USA the once leading is all of the above.

I've watched China do exactly the same thing. They are in the copying other countries' products stage for the last 15+ years. But they have now and will continue to improve on other countries' best products from now on. If we do not entice the manufactures companies and their jobs back to the USA they are going to be world leaders in just about everything.

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
In the '70s though maybe the 80's we used to say Japanese junk! What do you say today about their products? The problem with Japan back then and China today is you never know which of China's copied products are still JUNK.

Last edited:

Sv.grainne

In the '70s though maybe the 80's we used to say Japanese junk! What do you say today about their products? The problem with Japan back then and China today is you never know which of China's copied products are still JUNK.
Need the substiansiated proof of quality. So much junk coming out of China.

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
Need the substiansiated proof of quality. So much junk coming out of China.
Yaw Mon... We have a winner!!
That is the problem. Most of the comments so far seem to know to wait and see if this is equal, improved, or China Junk.

okikuma

It will interesting to watch how the metallurgy and tolerances of the knock off 912, 912ULS and 914s hold up as compared to the original Rotax engines. For the most part, these copies might end up replacing the modified Subaru engines on some of the older gyroplanes. Imagine a 914 copy replacing a Subaru 2.2 engine on a RAF 2000? It would be reasonable to say that the 912 copy would be about 100 lbs less than the total weight of a Subaru 2.2 with belt redrive, cooling, and exhaust system.

Wayne

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
We have a really informative WINNER!!! As usual from my most experienced friend Wayne.

Hi Wayne... I'm BACK after 8 months of heck!!!

BEN S

Aircraft
Sportcopter Vortex "light"
Total Flight Time
200+
You arent seriously suggesting that good folks in China are only making copies of products whose patents have run out are you?
I can show you at any given time of the day products that are illicit copies of luxury goods designed ro cheat their way into your wallet. Fake Rolexes anyone?
How about the awesome price difference between USA made and China made Thermal Imaging scopes?
(Yes of course the USA ones are better, but for the price difference 5 to 6 times cheaper, most won't notice the difference.)
Instead of possibly putting money into a regime who has stated on many occasions publically that they are looking to knock us out of our first place nation status....buy American when you can, buy from anyone else and if its a last choice, buy from China.
Rest assured the money you spend there is going to a million different programs designed to harm America.
It is NOT going to upgrading the biohazard containment seals at the Whuhan lab...

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
Ben that is the solution. Economic laws assure that the majority will shop at WallMart to save a few cents or dollars rather than their neighors and locally owned mom-and-pop shops.
Why = basic economic science/LAWS and its understanding of the animalistic human nature have shown = That it is not in their family interest to pay more solely for the good of the community's sake or neighbor's or the USA company's.

Human animalistic nature of all for me shows you only work the hardest for yourself, not your neighbor. Or buy the more expensive USA product even if it will save your job and country. Not at their personal expense.

I buy from locally-owned stores and I buy USA products when I can. But I'm an exception and not thinking of myself in anything else I do either. I only work for charities for free which is not normal. I recognized and got rid of 99.99% of my animalistic nature long ago.

This is just science: It is only in their family's interest to buy cheap Chinese products as it is only in their interest to invests in Chinese corporations where they return more AFTER TAX PROFIT.
The store with the cheapest price gets the majority of sales and the country with the cheapest manufacturing corporation tax rates get all the corporations and their jobs.

IF you think about it and then understand human nature and economic laws. It is also common sense.

Last edited:

Resasi

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Gyrs, RAF 2000/Mgni/Bnsn/Hrnet/Mrlin/Crckt/MT-03/Lyzlle AV18-A/Prdtor. Pax ArrowCopter
Total Flight Time
100+ gyro, 16,000+ other
My Task Master 3 cylinder diesel tractor built in China is 16 years old and still runs like the day I bought it
It seems like many older products they were built to last.

The production culture these days, and not just in China seems to thrive on built in obsolescence.

If your tractor engine fails you are at least sitting on terra firma. As an old instructor of mine once remarked...'and the firmer it is the less terror I feel.’

If the possibly substandard Chinese Rotax knock-off fails who know what could be beneath you?

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
IF the Rotax knock-off fails who knows what could be beneath you?

That is exactly what I was thinking. I'd test it in a boat, SeaDo, car, dune buggy. But not in the air!!!
Glad to wait and watch and be the adapter to this once several have flown past TBO without problems as many Rotax's 4 strokes have.

PS:
Dang already thought of an exception. Once I had enough hours in a gyro so it is an extension of my body like most FW are.

I would test it at El Mirage dry lake bed. But do not think I could fly in one place for 2500 hours??? Could you?

JETLAG03

Total Flight Time
300+ flexwing (pendulaire) newly trained on gyrocopter ((autogire)11h)
I remember well the first Jap bikes to enter the UK and the comments we Brit bikers made regards Jap junk. My BSA, Triumph, Royal Enfield were the kings of the road.

Look now

If you want to protect your home products

1. ensure they evolve with the latest technology

2. Do not assume that competition is inferior

British car manufacturing went the same way.

But, at the end of the day, if home built products are not up to scratch, do not answer consumers demands, then imports will and should win the day.