China's Combat Gyros.

Resasi

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Gyrs, RAF 2000/Mgni/Bnsn/Hrnet/Mrlin/Crckt/MT-03/Lyzlle AV18-A/Prdtor. GT-VX1&2, Pax ArrowCopter
Total Flight Time
100+ gyro, 16,000+ other
There are numerous reasons to be wary of Chinese products. Their quality, unless very closely supervised from reputable companies who produce goods in China, can vary from poor to truly abysmal. There are of course some items that are made to a very good quality.

The CCP has a stated aim of being the world's Superpower, and to that end pursuing a wide and diverse array of weapon systems and it appears that Gyros are within that portfolio.

They had produced some of these a while back, and indeed may well have more modern ones now, but interesting to see them being touted as 'Little Nellie' tank busters.

The video is probably an old one, released by China’s state-operated television network, CCTV, it shows gyrocopters operated by the People's Liberation Army (PLA) equipped with anti-tank missile launchers and a small sensor turret.

Hot day 2 up with missiles?? Hope they have a long runway.

Chinese soldiers probably do not weigh 220 pounds each

Your right about that, probably more like 150-160.

But 4 Anti-tank guided missiles are going to weigh something.

Your right about that, probably more like 150-160.

But 4 Anti-tank guided missiles are going to weigh something.

Yes 2 x 145 pound pilot + passenger soldiers. 650 pound empty weight. Gross weight 1200 pounds.
1200 - 650 pounds (empty weight) - 290 pounds (pilot+ passenger) - 100 pounds (fuel) = 160 [pounds (left for ammo)

145 pounds is probably the average weight for under 40 people in that part of the world. Not enough burgers there yet with Bowine Growth Harmone pumped in.

In the heat of a battle. CCP pilots will likely push the stick forward quickly to a quick aim. I don't have to speculate what will happen afterward. HTL or CTL, it does not matter.

In the heat of a battle. CCP pilots will likely push the stick forward quickly to a quick aim. I don't have to speculate what will happen afterward. HTL or CTL, it does not matter.

Not much a slight lowering of G and then it stabilizes quickly. Lots of misconceptions on how these accidents happen. It's not just a single action. I can fly pushing the stick forward and then back and then forward and then back and keep doing it till I puke. I would have to do it in some specific ways and have hammers for hands and I have realized people do ..

Well good luck to them and those brave people who will try and fly these into combat.

As I have said elsewhere, you could shoot one down with a 1918 Fokker D VII.

I'm not familiar with the design. Is it indigenous or a European design? Even flying in ground effect, it would have a huge radar and thermal signature on the battlefield.

I suspect they would not be survivable against almost any kind of ground fire. Back when the earth was young the ZSU-23-4 really ruined the day for a lot of U.S. aircraft. I would imagine more lethal systems are available now.

Last edited:
This is China. Wouldn't this be more of something to keep their disitants in line.

It might make for some good film (propaganda), but movies aren't reality.
I cannot see it being any more combat-effective in real life than the real Little Nellie was.

It might make for some good film (propaganda), but movies aren't reality.
I cannot see it being any more combat-effective in real life than the real Little Nellie was.
Amen! Even a rifle squad would be able to pretty much shred these machines. I try to think of a tactic that could keep them intact until weapons delivery and I really can't.

Well good luck to them and those brave people who will try and fly these into combat.

They won't fly these into combat. They won't fly an RV-7 into combat either.
The whole purpose of these gyroplanes is to fly very low and cross into other countries and drop off special forces. Most likely aimed at Taiwan. You do remember a gyroplane made it all the way to Capital Hill lawn in 2015 without being detected by radar.

I wonder who's gyro they pulled the molds from?
Sort of looks like a generic ELA......

I wonder who's gyro they pulled the molds from?
Sort of looks like a generic ELA......

MTO Classic. They bought design license. Germans got paid I believe

As I have said elsewhere, you could shoot one down with a 1918 Fokker D VII.
Correct, however you need to appreciate the tactical flight ( top cover / find a threat breakout and then the others following can lay in lead, just from a well planned Gyroplane formation spaced out) as threat is detected notify the big birds that cost a fortune to run to then fly to specific coordinated positions and neutralise.

This is a real life scenario currently being explored in West Africa ( again I don’t and can’t say much)

With this type of operation the flight and formation is key …I don’t want to say to much as I’m not sure I should be talking about it on this forum.
Our company has been developing armed gyro platforms for over 10 years now hence the heavy life capability of our gyroplanes and the capability to lift with ease a payload of 800kg

Here is the older xenon fitted with 7.62 and it provided the platform to develop the sighting system that works very well and the Gyroplane pilot can target a threat with ease ( and accurately)
The other is a platform that has seen a bit more development to include a clients required calibre ( not mentioning it here) it has the capability to fire accurately at over 3000m using FLIR technology and other.

As the worlds military is always looking for cost effective ways to kill I am sure we will see Gyroplane being developed and accepted, as for pilot and pax weight? in our mill spec machines this is not even a factor.

Attachments

• E604652B-FEEB-47F4-B03A-A8A3B9C06D95.png
    E604652B-FEEB-47F4-B03A-A8A3B9C06D95.png
    443.5 KB · Views: 30
  • 713E1A11-3E13-4EF9-A21A-6BF8697AE175.png
    713E1A11-3E13-4EF9-A21A-6BF8697AE175.png
    456.5 KB · Views: 30
  • 6FDC0F9A-FC36-4693-8F2D-6A3813FF67F8.png
    6FDC0F9A-FC36-4693-8F2D-6A3813FF67F8.png
    334.7 KB · Views: 30
Given the (lack of) speed of a gyroplane, and its poor climb performance at speed lightly loaded whilst it makes for a conversation starter in the pub practically it would be utterly useless.

Go and fly your gyroplane at maximum weight and ask your friend to film you as you do a low approach and go around at your airfield. Then as you watch it back assume your friend had a rifle, stood next to others with their rifle and you'd be dead before you left the airfield boundary.

[remember there is no capacity for any armour and 2mm perspex and glass fibre won't help!]

On the other hand, it does seem to fit in with CCP military doctrine. Soak up Taiwaneses AA resources with expendable cheap cannon fodder.

China has vast pool of willing volunteers and gyro costs versus AA missile costs is a win.

Given the (lack of) speed of a gyroplane, and its poor climb performance at speed lightly loaded whilst it makes for a conversation starter in the pub practically it would be utterly useless.

Go and fly your gyroplane at maximum weight and ask your friend to film you as you do a low approach and go around at your airfield. Then as you watch it back assume your friend had a rifle, stood next to others with their rifle and you'd be dead before you left the airfield boundary.

[remember there is no capacity for any armour and 2mm perspex and glass fibre won't help!]
Phil I don’t think with respect you have seen or flown our SUV of the sky …the object too is to add top cover and look for threats, I cannot add more intellectual information on how they are deployed ( only that the pilot is protected unless it’s a head shot) the bush war in Africa and typically the DRC and is threats are not what you thinking …fly in with a gyro like a fighter jet that is not how they are deployed.