China TV content... interesting re US

Mark E

Total Flight Time
A total of about 60 minutes dual hangin onto a stick in Cessna, a glider, and a gyrocopter.
Just sitting in cheap hotel in Hubei province, stuck with the TV on Chinese channels I can't understand while I do a bit of work (read - browsing Rotary Forum), but I've been surprised by some of the content.

First, I saw a commentary on the naval war in the Pacific in WWII - lots of black and white film, of aircraft carriers and heavy naval ships, some I could recognise and some I'd never seen, quite a lot of onboard film from Japanese ships, culminating in film and animations of the sinking of the Yamamato (I could recognise that)...

All cutting back to an ongoing commentary by a high ranking (apparently!) officer sitting in front of a backdrop of large images of three aircraft carriers. (One ‘jump’ deck – the recycled Russian one?)

Seemed to be a full commentary of the Pacific Naval battles - seemed to me it would only show the US in a good light to the average citizen.

Now, I see (on a different channel) an overdubbed episode of "Making the Cut" or something like that. US military Special forces? Helluva lot of tactics shown there too (?)

Again, it makes the US military look pretty damn impressive, to me and probably the average Chinese citizen.

DennisFetters

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
582 Commander Elite
Total Flight Time
Stopped counting years ago after 5,000
Again, it makes the US military look pretty damn impressive, to me and probably the average Chinese citizen.
Get out and walk around, and you see many men and woman weiring US military designer-style clothes and many articles with US flags.

Also every day on TV is many WW2 programs, and the USA is given a very prominent roal.... as so it should be. The USA are hero's to the Chinese for what we did during that war. The Chinese do not let people forget what the Jap's did to this country, and there is a lasting hate towards them.

I went to the Flying Tigers location and visited the museum of the American hero's there, and the Chinese hero's that fought and worked beside the Americans, and one cannot leave there without a lump in the throat.

Everyone in China wants to go to the USA. The Chinese think the USA is the best and most fair nation in the world, and mostly they are right.

Each time I meet someone, they ask if I'm from the USA, and always so glad to meet me. They have nothing but good things to say. Many times I'm the first real-live Gringo they ever seen, so I always do my best to give a good impression.

And then again..... it's really weird to see us portrayed as evil guys during the Korea war with our bombers blowing up target, and hero Chinese's-Rambo's mowing down American troops as we run to our deaths in endless waves of mindless attacks...... Strange world.

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Piper Archer, Aviomania G1sb
Total Flight Time
Not sure over 10,000+ logged FW, 260+ ultralights, sailplane, hang-gliders
Hi Mark and Dennis
When I was at the Olympics there. I found the exact same thing to be true. I enjoyed the friendly Chinese people at the park they practice there English and I never felt in danger.
I'm going to go back!

Mark E

Total Flight Time
A total of about 60 minutes dual hangin onto a stick in Cessna, a glider, and a gyrocopter.
Hi Mark and Dennis
When I was at the Olympics there. I found the exact same thing to be true. I enjoyed the friendly Chinese people at the park they practice there English and I never felt in danger.
I'm going to go back!
There is is lot of truth in that John, I find great people everywhere I go ... in spite of all of our differences, we are all so much the same under it all!

Yeah Dennis, every time I come here, any time of the day there is always a war movie on, almost always Sino/Japanese.

Anyway, it bodes well for the world if they (the Chinese government) are very relaxed about programmes showing US military in a positive light.

Thomas

Gold Member
Aircraft
Bell 47.204.205.206.212, Hiller 12a, Hughes 300.500, Sikorsky S76, Cessna 150.210.310
Total Flight Time
Respect

Respect

Bad guys (conquerors) hate, rape, murder and abuse those they conquer (criminals, gangsters and thieves) while liberators tend to respect those they encounter. People are never fooled for long by the words foreigners use as they pass through a society; actions speak louder than words.

If the world must compete I hope it becomes a competion among those who want to treat others the best..........

Thomas