Chapter Newsletters

Mike484

AR-1 🇺🇸
Aircraft
RAF 2000 w/Horizontal stabilizer, KB3 w/tall tail
Total Flight Time
40+
Did anyone recieve the chapter newsletters from the PRAs e-alert last month? I did not see it and have emailed Lisa but have not recieved a response.

Since Rotorcraft is in PSF, maybe we wont be getting the e-alerts anymore. If there is interest in recieving the newsletters as we have been, then I will approch the PRA BODs about it. I will volunteer to continue this effort if there is an interest.

On another note: I will be opening up the Southwest Rotorcraft for any PRA chapters that would like to submit news about their local goings ons and chapter information such as contacts, meetings, fy-ins. etc. So if any chapter is interested, please feel free to email me at [email protected].

I am trying to get the August edition completed and out, but Im running behind as I have had some recent issues that are keeping me from it. But, it will be coming soon. Thanks for the support.

Hi Mike

Lisa had to quite to take care of her elderly parents. Fortunately I started negotiations with Roy for PSF back in December of 2014 so when she had to leave it was only a little effort to close the deal.

However... Thank you for the heads up and reminder. My PRA plate is so full I had forgotten about last months newsletters and it seems no other BOD member has stepped up yet to do the job.

We need a volunteer to upload the Newsletters and send out the eAlerts until the new web-site is tested and approved by the BOD.

If I add one more job to my plate all 5 projects I'm working on now will suffer.

Anyone wish to help out please contact me.

John, I find myself saying this more and more often; while the PRA has been organization of volunteers all these years I think it is time to be more proactive.

It is obvious that it is a struggle to try to get people to volunteer so why not point blank ask individuals, who appear to be capable, to accept an assignment by the PRA board. They should feel honored rather than put up on and if they can't or won't take the assignment then it is a case of nothing ventured nothing gained. But, at least the search for help takes a different path.

Sometimes, especially with newbies, people may want to help but don't like stepping into the limelight. There was a time that I was one of those newbies. Yeah, none of you can remember that!

If an attempt is made to nudge those we see as having the passion and talent instead of waiting for them to volunteer then we might be surprised at the help that is available.

John, in my first post I volunteered to do this if there was interest. kinda disappointing that there was not much response to the thread as I know a lot of people get the newsletters, maybe the ones I send out to is all that need to get them.

I appreciate the newsletters

I appreciate the newsletters

Mike, sorry, didn't realize a response was requested, but I really like the newsletters and appreciate the effort that goes in to each and every one.
Thank you for your efforts.
Brian

John, I do want to see the chapter letters continue.

Must be sent to current members only.

If Mike want to volunteer. I'm for it. Thanks Mike for stepping up. Let's see how we can get this to you so it happens.

Smack, It's time for your renewal.

Yaw Mon....
Mike we accept!!! U-Rock!

I'll call you tonight and we can discuss the hows and whens.

Thank you... it's members like you that is PRA greatest asset! All of our volunteers make the rotorcraft world a BETTER place to be!!!

Thank you very much Smack (Brian).
My only compensation for producing Southwest Rotorcraft is the compliments I have recieved. They are very truly appreciated and what drive me to continue. I am still doing them, and sending them out to my email list, but, the PRA supported the newsletters in the past by distributing them for us and has not done this since June, so I was wondering if it has gone by the way side or if it will continue if some steps up to keep it going?

I beleive this was one of the ways the PRA was supporting its chapters, now the support seems to have vanished. I do not think it should be a PRA members only benefit as this helps the chapters to promote, which in turn, get more peole involved with the chapters and then gives them the opportunity to promote the PRA and try to increase membership.

I Mike... I too believe this was one of the ways the PRA was supporting its chapters.
I think this may be the 1st time Brent and I are on a different page and I believe I know why. All the BOD members are trying to think of member benefits that will entice people to join for the exclusive benefits.

My personal experience is that the newsletters draw in many request to join PRA 31 but few to join PRA too. Every-time PRA 31 has posted about it co-owned trainer being built I receive at least 10 new requests to join. Until they learn it's not finished and they would have to help build it. Only one joins our of ten actually join.

The hard copy over the counter PSF while not free should do about the same for PRA once we publish stories of her flying and training. Also at least two other chapters are now coping our model and would like to do stories about them once flying too.

Last edited:
The best way to get all the chapter members to join PRA is to pay the chapters in rent for hangers, tools, and free one and two-place trainer kits to become chapter co-owned by the chapters.

Now once PRA supports it chapters like that then we can ask any chapter that receives this kind of support to require all its members to also join the PRA.

That is what PRA's main mission is = The PRA's mission is to organize individual members and local club chapters into a unified body...

Mike, I love Southwest Rotorcraft !

Mike, I love Southwest Rotorcraft !

I like reading about gyro happenings and gyro people. It's my way of keeping up with things that have to do with gyros.
You do a great job of putting it all together and I appreciate your doing that.
Marion

John, in my first post I volunteered to do this if there was interest. kinda disappointing that there was not much response to the thread as I know a lot of people get the newsletters, maybe the ones I send out to is all that need to get them.
I know I'm so busy I do not always respond as quickly as before and I missed it the 1st time.
I only catch it the 2nd time.. Sorry about that I'll try and do better and be here more often but not much PRA business is done here since we have our private forums.

I like reading about gyro happenings and gyro people. It's my way of keeping up with things that have to do with gyros.
You do a great job of putting it all together and I appreciate your doing that.
Marion
So do I and many other people have told me the same thing!!! U-ROCK!!!

The eZine will be missed!

The eZine will be missed!

I started typing this and was about to post over on the eZine thread, but it seems better fitting here..... So, some of the below has been answered / discussed...

Here was my post...

Chapter #46 just had another great open house and we were preparing a letter to submit to the eZine, but now it's gone....

I love hearing about other chapters events, but many of these write-ups, (such as our own), do not have the necessary content level to be considered for a national publication, such as PSF.
I think eZine filled a very important role here!

The upper Midwest does not have our own regional newsletter. (It looks like I may have to step up and do something about that.)

I have subscribed to PSF for quite some time, and I really enjoy the rotorcraft section.
However, I agree with the others here. I do not anticipate ever seeing chapter lists, CFIs and and other contacts for the PRA ever being published here. It seems we are loosing the personal aspect of each chapter and it's members.

I also don't foresee many people logging onto the PRA site to check and see if there is anything new in the eZine section. Especially if it is just a copy of the print version that many of us already receive.

Would there even be a way for chapters to add their newsletters here to share? (In addition to the PSF content)

The eZine was a very welcomed sight to see in my inbox during a break on a hectic day!

I will help out where I can. If anyone associated with one of the current regional newsletters can contact me and put me in the right direction to get started with our own Midwest regional newsletter, it would be much appreciated.
Not sure where this would even be sent to get it included in the distribution list....

Mike, I will be contacting you shortly. You seemed to have answered many of my questions and saved the day!

Viva Newsletters!

Thanks
Denis

First off, thank you very much Marion, this means so much to me coming from such an icon as yourself. And thank you John, I do cherish the friendship we have built over the last couple years.

And now Dennis. I am trying to keep the chapter newsletters alive wether it be regional, independant chapters, or one newsletter that encompasses all. Yes, we as chapters, do want to let the rest of the community know what we are doing in our own neck of the woods. Even though the PRA has not distributed the SWR in the last two months, it was published and distributed to those on my email list.

Paul recently contacted me and said he does not have the time to continue with the Western Rotorcraft, which, was the inspiratio for the Southwest Rotorcraft. I can tell you for a fact, our newsletter has done more to promote our club and let everyone know about us than any other form of communication to date.

I will be reaching out to the PRA and will volunteer my time in the effort to keep the newsletters alive, the PSF just cannot fulfill the needs of each individual chapter. As soon as we can get something worked out, I will let people know and we will get the distribution back on line.

Since the Western Rotorcraft will now be limited to the number of times per year that it will be published, as I do understand the delima many chapters have as far as not having enough content to produce their own newsletter, I will be opening up the Southwest Rotorcraft of all and any chapter or individual chapter member to submit whatever they have and I will include it, even if just a picture or a two line story, everything is important as far as I'm concerned.

Anyone wishing to contact me to ask questions, submit any articles, or just to talk, you can contact me at [email protected], or call/text to 832-457-2836. Normally email is best as I do have a full time job that keeps me very busy and may not answer the phone or forget to call back.

Thank you!

Thank you!

Mike,
You have my up-most respect. Thank you!
I will contact you early next month.

The wife and I are going to "get away from it all" up in the mountains for a couple weeks.

I will gladly jump on any existing regional newsletter, although I like the idea of all-in-one national (or even world-wide) newsletter! Why does the region matter?...We all share the same passion, correct?

If a default format (even a standard template to use) is defined for contributions, it should be a simple cut-and-paste to put it all together...
(Over simplified I know....)

Again thank you, and you have our support!
Denis

With the loss of the eZine and limited publication of the Westrn Rotorcraft, there may be a need for a national chapters newletter. If there is enough interest, and enough participation, this may end up what the Southwest Rotorcraft morphs into.

With the loss of the eZine and limited publication of the Westrn Rotorcraft, there may be a need for a national chapters newletter. If there is enough interest, and enough participation, this may end up what the Southwest Rotorcraft morphs into.
Hi Guys
There is no loss of the eZine. Once we get the flikerbook software we will publish it again! It will be back!

Hi Guys
There is no loss of the eZine. Once we get the flikerbook software we will publish it again! It will be back!

John, I found that software extremely clumsy, and finer details of pages in back issues were unreadable on my monitor. I think the baby went out with the bathwater on that one.

John, I found that software extremely clumsy, and finer details of pages in back issues were unreadable on my monitor. I think the baby went out with the bathwater on that one.
OH crap!!
Do you know of one that works??

Maybe I can write one.
I'll look and see if there is any open source in any language.
If not it might be just a matter of trapping all control characters and characters except the arrow button for paging and zooming the screen.

I hate setback. But we might have to use it until I can find a replacement!!

Last edited: