Certified Gyrocopter Types

NoWingsAttached

Unobtainium Member
Aircraft
Air Command Tandem w/ Arrow 100hp; GyroBee w/ Hirth 65hp; Air Command Tandem w/ Yamaha 150hp
Total Flight Time
>350
Please clarify: What gyrocopters are certified? I know Air & Space 18a is, but I am unclear after that. Calidus? Cavalon?

Yes - the Cavalon and Calidus are available as both Certified and Experimental versions in the US and so is the MTOsport too. The Cavalon Pro model is Type Certified in the UK too.

US TC examples include N232PG, N319DM, N623AG N973DK plus others too

The AG USA website states,

Type Certificated – Primary Category Aircraft

Built at the AutoGyro factory in Germany, test flown, and rotor blades balanced prior to shipping to the US
Turn key, no Phase One fly Off
Must be maintained by an A&P mechanic
Train in your own aircraft immediately
Flight Instructors will not need to obtain a LODA to train in this aircraft
This aircraft can be rented and used for limited commercial activity

more here

Last edited:
I find it confusing because the polish say there machines are certified? But to what? They say German standard? RC he went on about certifications... Fly Argo were at pains about there certification, but failed to provide me with test data? Or an in depth technical evidence of such......

with vehicles testing standards are very seriously done, gyroplanes ?.. and with respect I have flown many AutO Gyro Models ...IMO certainly not the best machines on the market ....yet they hide behind certification.

100% for their sales leaflets and internet marketing 😉

Please clarify: What gyrocopters are certified? I know Air & Space 18a is, but I am unclear after that. Calidus? Cavalon?
The A&S18A and the McCulloch J-2 are the only production gyroplanes to receive Standard Airworthiness in the U.S. in the last 75 years (the Canadian Avian never went into production).

Yes - the Cavalon and Calidus are available as both Certified and Experimental versions in the US and so is the MTOsport too.

The AG USA website states,

Type Certificated – Primary Category Aircraft
Primary Category is not the same as Standard, so they are not "certified" in the same sense as a typical Cessna or Piper, or A&S18A. They may be sold fully built at the factory, and can be used for instruction without a LODA, but they may not be used to carry persons or property for hire.
Here's the quick word from the FAA for what it means:

Last edited:
The A&S18A and the McCulloch J-2 are the only production gyroplanes to receive Standard Airworthiness in the U.S. in the last 75 years (the Canadian Avian never went into production).

Primary Category is not the same as Standard, so they are not "certified" in the same sense as a typical Cessna or Piper, or A&S18A. They may be sold fully built at the factory, and can be used for instruction without a LODA, but they may not be used to carry persons or property for hire.
Here's the quick word from the FAA for what it means:

THANK YOU! Confusion dissipated.