Cavalon Ring Gear

Rick E

Aircraft
Cavalon and an MTO Sport
Total Flight Time
1980+
A friend of mine has a Cavalon with very low hours and discovered today that the teeth on the pre rotator ring gear are all bent with four of the teeth completely flat. The bendix still appears to be okay but can’t imagine how much longer it will last.
Would anyone know how this could have happened????

GyrOZprey

Aussie in Kansas.
Aircraft
Butterfly Aurora N5560Z / Titanium Explorer N456TE & N488TE/ - trained in MTOsport 446QT/488FB
Total Flight Time
attempted engagement of PR @ flight rpm ... but bendix released back?????

Vance

Gyroplane CFI
Aircraft
Givens Predator
Total Flight Time
2400+ in rotorcraft
My wild guess; not based on any actual experience with this problem in an AutoGyro product; is the ring gear should have been hardened and was not. I would not fly the Cavalon until his is repaired.

scottessex

Sling-Wing Pilot
Aircraft
Dominator 582
Total Flight Time
200+
The bendix was probably not adjusted correctly making full tooth contact, it was probably just engaging on the outer edges of the teeth, Just like a car starter, in the old days you had starter shims to adjust the tooth contact, it would be my guess to get a new ring gear and properly adjust the bendix.

magknight

Aircraft
Cessna Skylane, AutoGyro Cavalon (Due in May), Arrowcopter AC20 (sold) / MTOSport (sold)
Total Flight Time
300+
There was a series of autoGyro ring gears that were not correctly hardened and were to be replaced. I’d contact AG to see if this was in that series.

Last edited:

Rick E

Aircraft
Cavalon and an MTO Sport
Total Flight Time
1980+
AG have agreed to replace the defective ring gear. Thanks to all for your help.