Cavalon - North Caroline - N470CH - 17-11-17

Steve_UK

Aircraft
I'm not a pilot but have been lucky enough to fly in Mi-24 Hind, Mi-2, Mi-17, Lynx HAS3, Gliders, GA
Todays FAA ASIAS shows us

AIRCRAFT FORCE LANDED IN A FIELD, OAK ISLAND, NC

17-NOV-17
Time:15:00:00Z
Regis#:N470CH
Aircraft Make:AUTOGYRO
Aircraft Model:CAVALON
Event Type:ACCIDENT
Highest Injury:NONE
Aircraft Missing:No
Damage:SUBSTANTIAL
State:NORTH CAROLINA
DESCRIPTION
Description:AIRCRAFT FORCE LANDED IN A FIELD, OAK ISLAND, NC

Those of you with long memories or who browse my Blog will recall an earlier accident with this gyro -

31.8.14 - Kentmorr Airpark, Stevensville, Maryland, USA - Auto-Gyro Cavalon - N470CH - the FAA preliminary reports that during an unplanned landing the Cavalon landed short of the runway and ran into a ditch. The instructor and student escaped with minor injuries. The gyrocopter has been returned to Auto-Gyro USA and is believed to have major damage.

UPDATE 1.11.14 - The FAA NPTRS report states "...the aircraft lost engine power and that the pilot attempted to land on runway 28 at Kentmorr but landed short of the runway in a ditch. During the landing the rotor blades contacted the ground." A later section of the report states that "Maintenance crew found no discrepancies with the engine. The aircraft log book had no past history of engine failure. A 15 minute hi-power engine run noted no discrepancies."

Following this first accident the registration was cancelled on 30th April 2015.

It re-appeared as a new registration on 23rd October 2017 ( four weeks ago ) to a firm in NC - I assume it was re-built in the intervening period.

Will it be re-built again.

http://gyroaccidents.blogspot.co.uk/

Lost engine power on take off. Hard landing....no tip over. CFI and owner aboard. No one hurt.
Investigating reason now. And no....it was not my Cavalon.
Im sure more details to follow.