caution to RAF 2000 owners to inspect rubber bushing

dragonflyerthom said:
Harry

Tell me about the bushing

Thom

It's the *magic donut* Thom.

I'll see if I can locate my posts on it and get back with you. I think you're good for a few months yet.;) Not to worry.

Cheers :)

Yes it s alive its alive. Sounds great and the four cyl sounds like a race car with the carb unit and the electronic controler.

I am really happy can you tell.

Thom

Thom, are you gonna keep us in suspence , or are you gonna tell us how you got her running ?!

I talked with Peter at RAF and he said that they have used the same rebuilder in Canada for 12 years. Never had an incidence like this befor. There were two types of timing marks. one is arrows and one is hash marks. You can use one or the other. Mine was timed with the hash marks on the Cam pullies but the main was timed with the arrow. No way it could run. Its is now timed to the belt and hash marks. Started the first turn over. Now runs great. I will be putting the prop back on today.

Thanks guys for the support and help.

Thom

dragonflyerthom said:
I talked with Peter at RAF and he said that they have used the same rebuilder in Canada for 12 years. Never had an incidence like this befor. There were two types of timing marks. one is arrows and one is hash marks. You can use one or the other. Mine was timed with the hash marks on the Cam pullies but the main was timed with the arrow. No way it could run. Its is now timed to the belt and hash marks. Started the first turn over. Now runs great. I will be putting the prop back on today.

Thom

Thom, back in 1997 I was caught out by the multitude of timing marks the first time I replaces a timing belt. Got it all wrong and then read the instructions!!!!!

Aussie Paul.:)

dragonflyerthom said:

Thom

Thom, back in 1997 I was caught out by the multitude of timing marks the first time I replaces a timing belt. Got it all wrong and then read the instructions!!!!!

Aussie Paul.:)

Yep

Paul This is supposed to be done by professionals. I expect to make mistakes like this but not them. I personally think my engine was made on a monday or friday. Monday hangover or friday trying to go get a hangover.

Thom

Sure Harry,

The title can be changed by an admin, but if there are several different topics in one thread, which title do you use?

This thread is a good example. It has already switched from bushings to EJ22 timing in only two pages.

Starting a new thread on how to correctly read the EJ22 timing marks would be a good idea, or it'll get buried in this thread.

dragonflyerthom said:
Started the first turn over. Now runs great. I will be putting the prop back on today.

Thom

Thom................

I know you know this but...You've messed around that engine quite a while now without the prop installed.

Give it plenty room when the engine is running...and even when it's not running.
I drew some blood and many scrapes and bruises when it was not running. In fact, it still attacks me once in awhile.:(

Thanks Harry

I have bumped my head on the prop several times when I was trying to start it. That is why I took the prop off. Yes I have given my blood to my gyro. Hopefully it will be my last. Know what I mean. I can see what you mean about my machine attacking me once and a while. BTW I now have a carb with a choke on it. I guess I will have to figure out how to hook the choke up.

Did you ever find the thread about the bushing to replace the one I have now. I really don't want to find out how later. Prevent is better than accident.

GyroMike I really love the quick reply part but if we had to put a subject on each post would that help to quick link the subjects.

Thom

Last edited:
dragonflyerthom said:
Did you ever find the thread about the bushing to replace the one I have now. I really don't want to find out how later. Prevent is better than accident.

Thom

OK Thom, I found it for you...I was going to give you a clickon here, but I lost it. Anyhow, go to the RAF thread, Page 28 and start at Post415.

Gonna try this again...

http://www.rotaryforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=748&page=28

Last edited:
Thom,

Adding a subject line doesn't really aid the search function.
The search function will look in the titles and/or the body of the posts (depending on your selection) and considers the subject line as part of the post. If the keyword you are searching for is in the body, having it in the subject line won't matter.

The point I was trying to make is that if a new thread is started, it'll pop up when the user clicks 'New Posts' on the taskbar at the top of the screen with a title that's indicative of the subject.

I stopped reading the original 'RAF' thread because the subject kept changing, and it's 45 pages long!. It would pop up when I clicked 'New Posts', but I would skip it. There might be something in there that interests me, but I don't feel like wading through all the rest.

You don't always know what you are searching for.
Sometimes you just stumble on to it.

But it really doesn't matter to me. You guys can do it however you want.

So If you seek words it will check the body of the post. Is that what you are saying Mike? Orr I check the Subject????
I think I understand.

You're right There sure is a lot of material to go thru. Keeps me busy. and addicted.

Thom

So can we now know what happened to the Sparrow Hawk at Bensen Days.

Or are we still disscussing Rubber, donuts and RAF.

Thank you.
Rehan

Rehan K.Janjua said:
So can we now know what happened to the Sparrow Hawk at Bensen Days.

Or are we still disscussing Rubber, donuts and RAF.

Thank you.
Rehan

So far as I know Rehan, the investigation is still ongoing. No official determination has been forthcoming.

We'll just have to wait for the bureaucrats decision?!