Carter Copter

reodds

Hi everyone, I am a newly registered member, although I have been lurking here for some time. I have been flying fixed wing planes since 1976 (yes I'm THAT old!), but am very new to rotorcraft in general and gyros specifically.

I am aware of the speed limitations on conventional helicopters and gyrocopters, and am intrigued by the "slowed rotor" concept that Carter Copter is using. It's been quite a while since they stated their company, and have not seen any progress or news from them. Is their concept viable, if so, has anyone else considered using it to produce an experimental 2 place gyrocopter?

Thanks for the info!

Roger

Vance

Gyroplane CFI
Aircraft
Givens Predator
Total Flight Time
2400+ in rotorcraft
It is my observation that most gyroplanes today do not have enough power to out fly their rotor in level flight or even in a steep descent.

In my opinion a slowed rotor and wings are not a priority for most people building two place gyroplanes.

Heron

Platinum Member
Aircraft
Golden Butterfly
Total Flight Time
7.5 h.
Hello Vance
What is the max speed you have attained in flight? I went 125 mph
When we were in a meeting at Sun N Fun and the actual Carter project was discussed, I wanted a tandem, jump take off, capable of 100 mph cruise . . .that I think is enough for a good short travel gyro!

Vance

Gyroplane CFI
Aircraft
Givens Predator
Total Flight Time
2400+ in rotorcraft
I had a storm behind me and climbed to seven thousand five hundred feet mean sea level and ran along at ninety five knots (109MPH) indicated air speed for almost an hour covering a hundred thirty eight nautical miles flying The Predator.

In a descent I have pegged the indicated air speed at what appears like it might be a hundred and ten knots.

I have seen one hundred twenty two knots (140MPH) on the GPS maximum speed in a steep descent at an air show. Winds were variable at ten knots.

I typically cruise at sixty five to seventy knots. My destination is my excuse to go flying. I feel going faster is a lot like hurrying sex.

Attachments

Last edited:

reodds

Thanks for the reply Vance. I too enjoy low and slow, however the point of my post was to see if there is a way to get practical cross country speeds from a gyrocopter as Carter proclaims. I'm not speaking of 200+ knots, just a sustained 120 or so in cruise.

Smack

Re-member?
Aircraft
Kitfox IV / F1 Rocket / Magni M-16 / Beech 18
Total Flight Time
500+
Roger, I think the 'partially-powered' rotor is the key to higher speeds as it reduces the main drag source.
Brian