Carolina BarnStormers Spring 2022

Georgia Peach State attendees: Mike Purcell; Mark Lynn (Sec., Jake 582), Gary Weaver (AC1 582), Kurt Carleson (AC1 YG4), Scott McNeil (Tango YG3); Greg Mills (Treas., AC2 YG4); et.al.

Proud to be a _________.

Was hoping to get the AMRAAM launch system installed in time for the event...had to settle "for show only".

Well, what were you expecting? This is what I had in mind all along when I christened this one the Gunslinger.
IMG_4822.JPG

Last edited:
Made the trip up from KCUB in record time, about 1:10 ET; ideal conditions 10-15 MPH tail winds, saw over 100 MPH several times on the GPS (this ain't no slick eurotub by any stretch of the imagination! ACT published VNE is only 90).

Gotta get the GoPro mounts sorted out...

Going home on Sunday was a different story. Halfway between KPYG and KCDN got surrounded on three sides by rain closing in from the SW at 20 MPH so heavy I could not see, had to turn around and beat it back about 15 miles to KPYG and wait it out to pass by to the south.

Scott made me get a smart phone nav app, seems flying by the seat of my pants on these X-countries was giving him too many premature gray hairs.

IMG_4820.PNG

Last edited:
Winner, "Yellowist Gyrocopter" award. As the infamous, outspoken critic on questionable gyro fly-in awards, I find no problem here.

This was a well-deserved acknowledgement to a well-liked & respected gentleman pilot in this critic's book, and a nod to a fine job on a sweet machine. That YG3 was purchased brand new through Arctic Cat BTW, a fairly rare thing for Yamaha aircraft conversions until recently.

IMG_4827.JPG

Last edited:
until last year I'd never seen anyone besides Jim Vanek do a loop in a gyro. Move over Jim, Barry Thigpen has displaced you and is doing three consecutive loops, followed by a fourth 3/4 loop into a roll out - not to mention so many maneuvers and stunts we have yet to come up with names for yet. Hopefully some someone got good vids. Kids, don't do this at home.

We also enjoyed watching other world-class pilots play around such as Roy Davis. So glad these guys were in attendance to fill out the weekend's spectator events. Hope to see them return in the fall. This critic has updated his list of (known) World's Best Gyro Pilots as follows:

1. Barry Thigpen, Dominator 670 (not previously listed)
2. That Spanish ELA guy (Not previously known)
3. Jim Vanek, Sport Copter 912 (-2)
4. Ron Awad, Dominator 618 (-2)
5. Matt Novotny Dominator 618, no longer active (-2)
6. Roy Davis "Yellowtail" 912 (-1)
7. Gary Goldsberry, Bensen MAC 90, no longer active (-3)

Barry T, Ron and Roy were all in flying attendance to make this a world-class event.

Barry Kroplin is the undisputed #1 World's greatest Gyro Fly-In organizer/ producer/ host/ MC/ daddy/ pilot/ sleep-over party host. No one else even comes close. In fact, he holds 1st, 2nd AND 3rd places.

There might be bigger gyro fly-ins, but there are none better.

(e.g., recall I named here in RF the Golden Monarch "the Gobstrosity" after it was named Grand Champion at Mentone a dozen years ago because it was, at the time, nothing more than a static display machine - not flying yet - so how could it possibly be a Grand Champion at a FLY-in? Also called on the carpet the ill-advised use of a twin turbo Subaru, saying it was a terrible idea to try to get over 300 HP out of a family sedan automobile engine which had never so much as ENTERED a race, let alone win one to prove it's endurance or capabilities for such modifications. "Grand Champ" went on to blow up 8 of Subaru's. After a decade of much work, rework and continued attempts, we never saw it do more than a crow hop to 10 ft AGL with one of the best sticks in the business, Greg Spicola, at Bensen Days. The defense rests.)

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::eek:o_O SOME FOLKS JUST LOVE THE KEEP AN ELEVEN YEAR OLD "VENDETTA /ISSUE/ PERCEIVED INJUSTICE /SLIGHT" (that THEIR cute little blue gyro did not get the judges nod! ...for an award!). ..ALIVE & HISSY_FITTING!!!!:sick::LOL:

AMAZING HOW piss- addled minds ...MIS-REMEMBER "STUFF"... I have attached a pic of the AWARDS that Jim brought home that year from his first naive attendance at Oshkosh & Mentone (under the influence of a lying deceitful con-man ...but THAT is a whole different story!)

There are many NEW people here who have NO IDEA ...of this decade-old history!
SO I comment here TO PROVIDE ACCURACY & evidence----NOT PICK A FIGHT WITH A well known 😤🤯🤡 (Ahem ...it was "most innovative" NOT GRAND CHAMPION ). Good grief!

I REST MY CASE . (In defense of 2011gyro newbie & much beloved Farmer Jim ...who is no longer around to give this putz the 😵‍💫 he well deserves!)

Attachments

• IMG_0395.jpg
    IMG_0395.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0077.jpg
    IMG_0077.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 33
Please….everyone…..this thread was started to celebrate the gathering of a fantastic bunch of individuals….and their wonderful machines.
There is no place in this thread for drama…..name calling….unresolved anger issues or any malicious content.
‘And a belated congratulations to Farmer Jim on his award……he is missed by all!!

Barry (no drama allowed) K 😁
F4F2847D-1DBA-41B6-A449-086ECFCF9589.jpeg
😘😘😘

I see Barry is going from strength to strength with his highly entertaining, if edge-of-the-seat, aerial routine.(y)😮👏

I thought I made my self clear a few posts ago…… STOP IT!
I normally don’t repeat myself.
Thanks.

Hmmm, I thought "Gobstrosity" was being kind!
(snicker...)

Please….everyone…..this thread was started to celebrate the gathering of a fantastic bunch of individuals….and their wonderful machines.
There is no place in this thread for drama…..name calling….unresolved anger issues or any malicious content.
‘And a belated congratulations to Farmer Jim on his award……he is missed by all!!

Barry (no drama allowed) K 😁
View attachment 1155018
😘😘😘

Of all the photos and commentary, THAT'S what you came away with?

Wouldn't a PM be the way to handle desired edits to my posts? Others simply ask me to make edits and I comply respectfully and instantly.

Someone needs a nappy-poo. The Gobstrosity is what it is - a failure, a financial disaster, a mistake for which no one can be to blame but the mechanically-ignorant farmers who got on board with this silly project to begin with. Most Innovative, Grand Champ, whatever. The PRA's award name is hardly the point, nor is it important in the least. The point is I named it the Gobstrosity (I also came up with "Eurotub" and some other stuff), pointed out a few things about it not being a viable flying aircraft, and time proved me out. The End. I made a joke at your expense, call 1-800-WAA-AAAH. BTW, I heard you were trying to pass this thing off to the next unsuspecting bumpkin for $30k and got called on the carpet for it. Also heard about you sanctimoniously posting derogatory remarks tearing down the flying antics of a certain amazing gyro stunt pilot elsewhere recently and got called out on that one, too. Chill.

Going FWD, if anyone should take offense to anything I post, or has any PR suggestions to offer, I enthusiastically welcome any positive input you may provide and ask only that you PM me so that I can take appropriate action w/o any further pointless, unnecessary escalation ensuing.

Thank you.

Hugs n Kisses, the Gerg
What a crock of stuff! Just think a moment before you post!

On a positive note, I attended the barnstormers fly in at Barryland... Had a great time, especially seeing some faces I haven't seen in several years. I really wish I could have had more time there to visit and catch up with folks.

I didn't even try to go out and do any hotshot flying.... Thigpen is hard act to follow these days.

Next event I need to try to work it out to have a day or two off work at the end of the week so I can be there more than just saturday

On a positive note, I attended the barnstormers fly in at Barryland... Had a great time, especially seeing some faces I haven't seen in several years. I really wish I could have had more time there to visit and catch up with folks.

I didn't even try to go out and do any hotshot flying.... Thigpen is hard act to follow these days.

Next event I need to try to work it out to have a day or two off work at the end of the week so I can be there more than just saturday
Absolutely! Everybody starts showing up on Wednesday and it’s a continuous laugh fest till Monday……my sides hurt!!

We were all hoping to see you fly, too, and were geeked when you bought the orange Dominator last year, returning to gyro flying after such a long hiatus.

Last edited: