Carburetor Subaru 2.2 Fuel

Arizona723

Arizona723
Aircraft
Cessna, Piper, Enstrom, Robinson R22 R44, Air commander, Benson, RAF2000
Total Flight Time
1800+
Fuel with octane higher than 91 is getting harder and harder to find. Been using 93 when I can find it. Also been looking on the web for information about octane boosters. Not really reading anything about it that gives me any real confidence that any of them work that well. Anyone have experience with octane boosters, or what are the other options.

j bird

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Dominator/Airworthiness Certificate 9/06/12
Total Flight Time
26.5 duel,RAF,Sparrow-Hawk,Cavalon,Calidus.
I've been hunting through the internet to find information on octane boosters, from the different testing results I've read, about the max. I've seen is 2 point boost. Amsoil Dominator being one of the best. I'm taking my gyro to a area where the only fuel available is 97, I'm going to retard the timing a couple *, hope that will work.

Arizona723

Arizona723
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
1800+
j bird, did you mean to say 87? Subaru really only needs 93 or better to keep from knocking. You'd probably have to retard below 31 with 87 and that would give a pretty good power reduction.

j bird

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
Greg, had a senior moment, yes I meant 87. My engine is set to a maximum 32*advance now, retarding to 30* would allow me to burn 87 with the booster added, IMO.
My engine is a Corvair which is direct drive, the prop is pitched for a max. 3,000 engine RPM and does not need a total advance as high as a high RPM engine.
Any way, good luck on your search.

Arizona723

Arizona723
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
1800+
j bird, ok that makes sense. Mine has redrive with max rpm 5100, cruise at 4000 and 36 advanced. If I retard to be able to use 87, it probably wouldn't fly:Cry:
Thanks for the info.

Kevin_Richey

Yamaha gyro...Oregon, USA
Aircraft
Sport Copter gyroplane
Total Flight Time
300+ gyroplane, 11 airplane, 1.5 PPC, AND... a ZILLION hours of flying in my dreams!
I've been hunting through the internet to find information on octane boosters, from the different testing results I've read, about the max. I've seen is 2 point boost. Amsoil Dominator being one of the best. I'm taking my gyro to a area where the only fuel available is 97, I'm going to retard the timing a couple *, hope that will work.
Where might that be, Jay? El Mirage-North?
(Looking forward to in a couple of weeks seeing a Dominator single-place powered by a CORVAIR!!!)

j bird

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
I'm trying like hell to "get er done" Arlen said he'd be talking to you about the dates, I'm open to any time.