Screw

Lubricating & Stimulating
Aircraft
Dominator 2 place/Cessnas & Pipers
Total Flight Time
300+
Anyone know of a simple Carb Heat kit for an 1835cc VW with single carb?<br>

Re: Carb Heat VW

Try this... Very cheap too.<br><br><br>Go out and buy a cheap power inverter, 12 volt to 110 volts,  from Pep Boys - Their car people, but they also have a aircraft section just ask Thump daddy -<br><br>Then also buy a 12 volt cigarette lighter socket.<br><br>Install the socket.<br><br>Go to Walmart and buy a nice Hair dryer - you might have a spare one at home -<br><br>And plug it in the inverter. Plug the inverter in the socket. Then hold it in front of the airfilter.<br><br><br><br>Okay so that was dumb, just thought I would try to give you a idea or two? ;D

YOU  DUMB ASS :D<br><br>That was funny.  My wife would be so pissed if I took her hair dryer.

My first VW powered gyro just had a piece of exhaust tube welded to the manifold with some ducting into a tinplate box. There was a cable operated flap inside, then another length of ducting to the aircleaner box.<br> Fairly simple , yet effective.<br>   In my other post I have found that a Honda TRX 350 has a electric heater plug in tha carb. It hasnt arrived yet, so I don't know if it will work.<br>  Cheers Eric

I could give you my hair dyer...... If I could find it, It has been a few years since I needed one.<br><br><br>Gyro - Ron the bald headed one

John, not sure of price but Duane at Preceptor aircraft does sell a carb heat kit for VW's.  I built mine but if it doesn't work as good as it should....  I'll just swap it out.  (When I engage the butterfly valve the rpm does drop.    

Thanks James<br>

Like Eric, I have the air intake running through a tube welded to the exhaust but I don't turn it off.  I fly in everything but do not get ice.  Keeping it on permanently does not greatly affect the power to any appreciable extent and another thing not to have to worry about.  I am careful to clear the carby though after decents to ensure there is no build-up.<br>Pete

PBradley,<br><br>Let me get this straight.  You have a tube comming from your exhaust going into your intake manifold under you carb.  This means you have exhaust gasses going back into the motor?<br><br>The reason I ask, is because I had a tube welded into one of my exhaust pipes.  It is currently plugged.  At the bottom of my carb, The intake manifold, there is a plugged hole.<br><br>Your saying connect the two and dump hot exhaust gasses into my intake?  See if I have a pic.<br>

Yep I do have a picture.  At the bottom, you'll see a small tube welded into my exhaust.  Closer to the top of the picture, You'll see in the center of the intake manifold just below where the carb sits a plugged hole.  Your saying just connect the two and I'll have full time carb heat?<br><br>Someone told me not to dump exhaust gasses back in to the motor that it will hurt something.  A valve I think?<br>

John, take a picture of Rick's carb heat apperatus,  Simple, effective, and time tested!!

John,<br><br>Pete says his intake inhales through a tube welded to the exhaust...I think he means welded to the outside of the exhaust pipe to provide pipe-to-pipe contact, not an actual pathway for exhaust gas. The exhaust pipe just keeps the intake pipe warm.

;)After seven forced landings out of nine flights a friend of mine fitted a copper tube around the base of the inlet manifold  two or three times and ran his hot engine oil through the tube all the time and has never had a problem.  Hope this helps, good luck from down under in NZ

Guys, <br><br>It doesn't make sense heating the intake manifold runners or the PCV return/breather hole at the base of the carb. The place the carb ices up is the venturi in the throttle body. Unless you are counting on the warmer metal of the intake to heat the carb that's bolted to it, then you're barking up the wrong tree. <br><br>You need to heat the venturi. <br><br>To complicate matters, heating the air charge going into the combustion chambers is also going to decrease the density of same, and rob some power. It's one thing to give up power when you need to run carb heat, but something else entirely when you give up power all the time. <br><br>cheers<br><br>-=K=-

<br>Hi,  <br><br>     I found a carb heat box for my VP1 at the junk yard.  It came out of the little pontiac 2dr with the engine in the back.  I can't for the life of me remember what they where called.<br><br><br>L8R<br><br><br>Gaylon

Pontiac Fiero?<br><br>John-

Trouble posting :-/<br>

<br><br>Yup,<br><br>  That's it, I could not think of that for the life of me.<br><br><br>L8R<br><br><br>Gaylon

Exactly what Fiero part are you using for a heat box?<br><br>I have an 1835cc dual port single carb vw.<br><br>john-