Can someone help me calibrate my eyes for Ebay gyros...

bjones

Aircraft
None
Total Flight Time
1 hour orientation in a Trike
Last night I was eyeballing this incomplete Falcon on ebay:
http://tinyurl.com/k3xaoal

I'm pretty sure this is another case where the parts alone are worth more than the whole.

I added up what I think is needed to get it flying:
1 Tall tail ~ $1,200 from RFD
2. Blades ~ $2,800 from RFD
3. Prop ~ $800
4. Radiator, starter, battery, gauges, etc... ~$800
5. VFR Flight instruments ~$800-1,000
6. Portable radio and headset/helmet ~$500
7. DAR inspection ~ $400-600

I'm not sure about the condition of that prerotator.

The big unknown is the engine. I have no idea what it's going to cost for a custom exhaust system. And then there is the whole FI/ECU/O2 sensor to deal with. I'm guessing at least two to three thousand or more to get that EJ22 flying.

So I think it's going to cost the winner at least another $10,000 to get it in the air.

Brian

WHY

Gold Member
Aircraft
Ercoupe and Cessna 150, 152, 172, 140, Aeronca,7ac, Citabria,Chief,Piper PA11,PA12
Total Flight Time
Hi Brian

The first "calibration" you want to look at when looking at a "GREAT BUY" on a gyro on e-bay is---- how many of this model do you see flying, and if not many or none, WHY !!!

It seems that really good buys show up on the forum sooner or later (where experienced people are the buyers).

Tony

Mike484

AR-1 🇺🇸
Aircraft
RAF 2000 w/Horizontal stabilizer, KB3 w/tall tail
Total Flight Time
40+
Last night I was eyeballing this incomplete Falcon on ebay:
http://tinyurl.com/k3xaoal

I'm pretty sure this is another case where the parts alone are worth more than the whole.

I added up what I think is needed to get it flying:
1 Tall tail ~ $1,200 from RFD
2. Blades ~ $2,800 from RFD
3. Prop ~ $800
4. Radiator, starter, battery, gauges, etc... ~$800
5. VFR Flight instruments ~$800-1,000
6. Portable radio and headset/helmet ~$500
7. DAR inspection ~ $400-600

I'm not sure about the condition of that prerotator.

The big unknown is the engine. I have no idea what it's going to cost for a custom exhaust system. And then there is the whole FI/ECU/O2 sensor to deal with. I'm guessing at least two to three thousand or more to get that EJ22 flying.

So I think it's going to cost the winner at least another $10,000 to get it in the air.

Brian
Very good assessment, most newbies won't realize this until after they purchased it and then get discouraged because it is taking much more than they thought to get it flying.

If you want to build and fly your own gyro, this is probably a good buy. If you are more interested in flying and are looking for a good deal, this is not the deal for you.

Timchick

Tim Chick
Aircraft
Sport Copter Vortex, 582 Greyhead
Total Flight Time
~30
A lot of custom work left to do on that one. EJ22 seems pretty big and heavy for a single seat gyro. Have you checked Barnstormers? Are you looking for a build project or something ready to fly? Here's one from Barnstormers:

07 CLT AIR COMMAND 2-CARB 503! • $8,500 • MUST SELL • 92hrs clt air command 503 $24 sport rotors $air worthy $n-number $trailer $great flyer "OBO" CALL • Contact Leslie Wilson - JETTERS, Owner - located Terry, MS USA • Telephone: 601-878-2480 • Posted September 15, 2013

RayPierce

Gold Member
Aircraft
GyroBee
Total Flight Time
More than 20 less than a million.
George Moore and the Captain

George Moore and the Captain

The owner is George Moore. You old timers ought to remember him and his pal Captain Silver as we called him. They attended Bensen Days years ago.

Captain Silver has passed on and I believe George has health issues.
George was retired engineer I believe. He had to come out of retirement when his 401 took a heavy hit during the Enron scandal.
He is a good guy.

Captain Silver was famous for his jokes and the only man I know that landed a Quicksilver in the middle of Chesapeake Bay.

He and George frequented the old RotorCraft forum. You newer folks would not know them.

WHY

Gold Member
Aircraft
Ercoupe and Cessna 150, 152, 172, 140, Aeronca,7ac, Citabria,Chief,Piper PA11,PA12
Total Flight Time
George Moore and Captain Silver, now there were a pair. If I recall right Captin Silver actually was a licensed seafaring Captain, he loved to talk gyros

Tony

Steve McGowan

Gold Member
When

When

Did the. Capt pass Ray..

I spoke to him a few months ago.. I will be callin him later today and see..

Steve

RayPierce

Gold Member
Aircraft
GyroBee
Total Flight Time
More than 20 less than a million.
Did the. Capt pass Ray..

I spoke to him a few months ago.. I will be callin him later today and see..

Steve
Steve I was told he had. But if you spoke to him a few months ago then they were mistaken. I know I was told years ago.
I want to say it was George that told me. I'm not sure now. CRS

Let me know.

animal

Platinum Member
Aircraft
Hillman Hornet N8063D
Falcon Gyro

Falcon Gyro

1 advantage you would have is Phoenix Rotor craft, owns the design rights to the falcon and they are now in n.c. not far from you.

I know the Owner well.
Phoenix Rotor craft- Antony Croenlein

919-340-0038 tell them Animal sent ya.

here are pics of my Falcon, I did a build thread on here.

I sold it before i finished it to buy my Commuter H-1B helicopter.

Attachments

AirScooter

Scott Waggoner
Aircraft
Tandem Dominator-Zenith 701
Total Flight Time
8 minutes, 31 seconds
There is a KB3 rolling chassis with rotorhead and blades on Barnstormers for 2500.00. It is located in North Carolina as well.