Can I fly a gyro in EU with FAA license?

gyro.pete

Aircraft
Yamaha powered tandem
Total Flight Time
1000+
Hello.
I have a FAA sport pilot license. I'll be in Europe later this year and I am thinking about renting a gyroplane there. What do I need to do in order to act as a pilot in command in Europe?

Vance

Gyroplane CFI
Aircraft
Givens Predator
Total Flight Time
2400+ in rotorcraft
Hello.
I have a FAA sport pilot license. I'll be in Europe later this year and I am thinking about renting a gyroplane there. What do I need to do in order to act as a pilot in command in Europe?
Check with the countries you will be visiting.

The last time I asked my local Flight Standards District Office they told me you needed an FAA Private Pilot, Rotorcraft-Gyroplane or FAA Commercial Pilot, Rotorcraft-Gyroplane certificate to fly outside the USA.

This even applies to Canada and Mexico.

When last I checked The International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) does not recognize a Sport Pilot Certificate as a valid pilot license.

WaspAir

Supreme Allied Gyro CFI
Aircraft
Bell 47G-3B-1 / A&S 18A / Phoebus C, etc.
Total Flight Time
stopped caring at 1000
"Holder does not meet ICAO requirements" is customarily placed on SP certificates.

Smack

Re-member?
Aircraft
Kitfox IV / F1 Rocket / Magni M-16 / Beech 18 / Aviomania G2sA-2
Total Flight Time
500+
So my Private Pilot certificate with Sport Endorsement Gyroplane would be valid in Europe?
It does not say '... does not meet ICAO requirements'.

WaspAir

Supreme Allied Gyro CFI
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
stopped caring at 1000
Then you have the possibility of flying in Europe under the ratings on your Private certificate (likely airplane single engine land, but whatever yours actually says) but not your sport pilot gyroplane endorsement privileges. Your airplane privileges might be limited to day-VFR, depending on where you go, and you will need to go through the local authorities to get authorized.

The Private ratings have meaning under ICAO rules (although the U.S. versions are arguably less rigorous than the corresponding ICAO ratings standards) but the even less rigorous Sport Pilot endorsements mean very little elsewhere.

By the way, U.S. issued ATP ratings are accepted essentially everywhere, but lesser ratings may be subject to restrictions, such as the day-VFR limit I mentioned above.

Last edited:

chrisk

Gyroplane CFI
Aircraft
Magni M24, Turbo Mooney 231
Total Flight Time
I believe there is some dependence on the registration of the aircraft. For example if you can find a N-numbered gyroplane (good luck) in Europe, a private or better certificate should be adequate. If it is a EU registered aricraft, you will need to check with the country.

WaspAir

Supreme Allied Gyro CFI
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
stopped caring at 1000
The treaties behind ICAO permit travel through signatory countries by a US certificated pilot in a US registered aircraft (or Canadian pilot in a C-numbered aircraft, French in an F-numbered, etc.) without local licensure, as a way to make air commerce practical. If you take up residence somewhere, local laws usually require local compliance eventually, so finding N-numbered aircraft in other places can be difficult.