Total Flight Time
About 85 fixed wing 3 gyro
100_0638.JPG

100_0644.JPG

100_0646.JPG

100_0642.JPG

100_0643.JPG

100_0645.JPG

First, JB Weld is way, way, way over rated. If it did bond to whatever resin the factory used, it or any epoxy by itself has very little tensile strength. The area round a damaged section needs to be faired out into a dish shape and then layers of carbon fiber (or base fiber) built out and then contoured back to that areas shape. It looks too deep to me but I'm sure the factory could tell you. Deeply damaged carbon fiber can rupture in a split second, and without warning.

Last edited:
I agree, it looks a bit too deep. I've used epoxy to repair wooden prop tips, but on a composite one, with a crack like that, especially in the middle, I wouldn't risk it. If you lost that much prop, it could tear your engine off it's mounts, and then you're dead. Don't do it.

Gil.

That is a lot worse that I thought!
Call Warp drive and give them the serial number from the blade, they should be able to send you a new blade, or heck, just order 2 and you'll have a spare. :)

That sucks.....But I agree I would not fly it. If it was a small nick, but that looks bad!

I'd send it into Warp Drive. If it can be fixed they will do it right.

Grant,

Call them and ask if you can send your pics before paying to ship it to them.

My guess is they'll tell you to junk it, since it looks like you've damaged the leading edge on the one side of the blade.

If it were my blade, I'd replace it. That's some pretty serious damage, and do you really want to be worrying about it while you're flying with it?

By the way, in my mind, Warp Drive is a great company to do business with, based on my personal experience.

JB? I thought super-glue (non gel) and baking power was the recommended patch for fiber blades?

JB? I thought super-glue (non gel) and baking power was the recommended patch for fiber blades?

Correct! Superglue and baking powder. The weight is exact too don't have to worry about being out of balance.

cost me $20.00 bucks to send my 3 blades to Warp Drive for work. If they can't fix it, your only out shipping, a lot cheaper then a new blade.

Grant, I sent a 12" cresent wrench through my 60" WD and I had the priviledge of talking to the designer or maybe it was a co designer...dont remember of the WD prop. Not only did it have a 1/2 dollar size chunk out of it but it was also split nearly 9" I email him pics and he said fill it first with super glue clamp it and then JB weld the the missing portion (building it up) higher than the blade and (block sand it) even with the blade. I did as instructed and it worked perfectly and put lots of time on it with no problems.....not even a balance issue! I have pics of the damage on the forums somewhere.

Last edited:
Here is the Thread and original pics of the damage. At the time I was bent on finding a new blade but follow the previous posting on how to fix it and you will be fine. Mine was 3 maybe 4 time worse!!! I can give you some more tips on repairing your WD just PM me.

http://www.rotaryforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13779

Last edited:
Grant R. :
I sure would not be a happy camper right now either. New prop.....:Cry:
I would go the other way also.... I caught a nut with mine but it is just a small pin size nick.....

I caught a nut with mine but it is just a small pin size nick.....

Maybe you shouldn't stand so close to your prop?....:boink:

The consensus is obvious but I have to say here in the land of nicks I have done my share of patching but that looks way too serious for anything to be done in the field. Better safe than way sorry.

What went through that prop?

Maybe you shouldn't stand so close to your prop?....:boink:

Would you now? ROFL..... Curious ay? I mean a nick in the prop is sure pain in the a$$ but going "the other way"....... You make me wonder buddy.....:boink:

I have been laughing for ten min. :wacko:

In feedback, I just wonder Gabor.. what kind of mind can find such detailed inferences in a TECHNICAL discussion! ;)