Can a Barnett J4B2 be converted to a BRC540?

Coraview

What would it take to make a Barnett J4B2 (tandem) into a BRC540 (side by side). Aft of the passenger compartment they look the same. Would anyone have photos of these ships showing their tube airframes without the fiberglass fairings/passenger compartments?

Any thoughts on conversion, CG considerations, etc?

Steve

PalmPilot

Aircraft
R22 / Enstrom (TIME ONLY)
Total Flight Time
Helicopter 133 + hrs. / Gyro 0 / Hovercraft (No Logbook)
Steven, look up Tom Milton (Gyroplanes)

Mike

L_Butler

N41423
Dillinger's Station, PA About 10 miles south of Al
Aircraft
J4B2 N41423
Total Flight Time
150+
Brc540

Brc540

Steve,

I don't have prints of the BRC540, but Jerrie was working up to it with the J4B2T, and there are some notes about the J4B2T on my set of J4B2 drawings. The tail is larger and slightly further back. During some casual conversations he confirmed that was the case. He was aware of the need to increase the size of the tail to accomodate the increased area forward. How much larger wasn't discussed since I wasn't building the BRC540.

I suspect that if the tail was larger then the mast would be higher as well to provide adequate rotor clearance.

You don't state if you have an existing frame or just the plans for a J4B2, so my answers are a little vague. My guess would be that converting a tandem frame to a side by side would be challenging but doable if you wanted to. The J4B2 rudder-brake arrangement would have to be given some serious thought.

The frame is standard triangulated structure, easy to modify the design or to add to the width of the existing frame if that's what you have. (Easy if you understand the fundamentals).

If you know someone with experience in rag and tube aircraft, you are probably most of the way there.

Larry