Calidus Build Complete

nishanh

Got my airworthiness certificate on 5/3/2024. That was a pretty challenging experience. Just waiting on insurance before phase 1 commences. The GWS install is scheduled for a few weeks from now. I recorded a series of timelapse videos that are now available on YouTube.

Entire playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLM9KSUhOARl9hfA8J5xwHOpCaqprh6bCC

Here's a photo with the newer canopy AutoGyro is offering now.

Calidus Build Complete

Thanks a lot for documenting and sharing !
Impressive for both my left hands !!!

Can you tell us a little more about the airworthiness inspection process. I will be going through it later this year and I’m sure other are interested as well.

Mike

I used the FAA Checklist as the foundation for my AWC. Documented with photos that corresponded with sections of the checklist. When completed the checklist spreadsheet calculates build percentage.

All of the paperwork was done in IACRA.

Bobby

The DAR seemed more interested that all the documents were in order. W&B, Registration, Fuel flow test, condition inspection, etc. Wanted to know if I had the POH and manufacturer maintenance manual. I had those as PDF docs. Wanted to see my build-log, which I maintained as an Excel spreadsheet that tracked the build steps, time started, time completed and total time taken for each step.

In terms of the aircraft itself; I had to take the top cowling off so he could see the engine and then he took photos. Then we both jumped in for an engine start and rotor spin-up. There was some drama surrounding the placement of the "Experimental" decal which I wanted on the inside of the canopy. He felt it should be on the exterior because, "that's were it usually goes." I was fuming silently. I don't care were it "usually goes." The FAA rule says nothing about exterior placement.

The A&P pointed out the other two ships that he signed off on that had it placed inside the canopy and he finally relented. I was presented my airworthiness certificate and a bill for $850. The whole thing took about two hours.

You want it to be visible to a passenger boarding the aircraft so they will, quite lterally, know what they are getting in to. Beyond that, ugh!

You want it to be visible to a passenger boarding the aircraft so they will, quite lterally, know what they are getting in to. Beyond that, ugh!

Right? When you open the canopy, it's right there in your face. I got my way in the end, so it's all good.

Congratulations and thank you for your insight into the process. The weight and balance process will be challenging and definitely educational.

Congratulations and thank you for your insight into the process. The weight and balance process will be challenging and definitely educational.

You bet.

The next challenge is to wrangle someone at the FSDO for my Repairman Certificate. They didn't respond to email (I didn't think they would, but it was worth a shot). I'll try the phone next. If that doesn't work, I'll have to make 200+ mile drive through the zombie apocalypse that is Portland, OR to Hillsboro for an in-person visit. I'll have to go there regardless, but I'd prefer not to show up unannounced. I'll update this thread with that status.

You bet.

The next challenge is to wrangle someone at the FSDO for my Repairman Certificate. They didn't respond to email (I didn't think they would, but it was worth a shot). I'll try the phone next. If that doesn't work, I'll have to make 200+ mile drive through the zombie apocalypse that is Portland, OR to Hillsboro for an in-person visit. I'll have to go there regardless, but I'd prefer not to show up unannounced. I'll update this thread with that status.
I has a very difficult time getting the San Antonio FSDO to issue my Repairman cert. Lots of emails and phone calls before it was finally processed.

Bobby

You bet.

I was lucky. My DAR was audited by the FSDO while my machine and another were being inspected. We had the forms and insisted the FSDO auditor fill the forms on site and file them when they returned to their office. My repairmen’s certificate arrived in the mail a couple of weeks later. Good luck. This was 1996 so a long time ago.

Update on the acquistion of a Repairman Certficate.

As luck would have it, the Oregon FSDO did eventually respond to my email request and the certificate is on the way! I was able to conduct the entire process electronically. Sent the link to the YouTube videos, a copy of my build log and the application via email.

Today, the "in-person" interview was conducted via Zoom meeting with a couple of gentleman from the FSDO in attendance. They just wanted to hear me talk about the experience and verify my identity. It was all very pleasant and took about 20 minutes.