Calculating Rivet Lengths help please???

DennisFetters

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
582 Commander Elite
Total Flight Time
Stopped counting years ago after 5,000
Greetings,

As many of you know, I'm working on a project here in China, and I'm very limited to some technical access.

I'm needing to place a large order of AN470AD hard aluminum rivets from Aircraft Spruce, and I'm trying to calculate the "Clinch Allowance", because Spruce only gives the length of the rivet, and don't provide the information to calculate this for some reason, or I can't find it.

I lost my rivet length calculator in the Corona Ca flood a few months ago, and I can't seem to find the information on-line from here. I would appreciate some help. If someone could send me the formulas would be great, so I could calculate the nearest size that would work.

I am ordering:

3/16" for a work thickness of 1"

3/16" for a work thickness of 1/2"

and:

3/32" for a work thickness of 1/16"

3/32" for a work thickness of 1/2"

3/32" for a work thickness of 9/16"

I would appreciate some help.

HobbyCAD

Homebuilt Heli Enthusiast
Dennis, try this:

RIVET LENGTH = COMBINED WORK PIECE THICKNESS + CLINCH ALLOWANCE where clinch allowance is 50 - 70% of the rivet shank diameter.
The proper hole diameter is determined by adding a factor of 1.07 to the rivet shank diameter or 1.07 x Shank dia. = Hole dia.

Chopper Reid

Aircraft
Rosco built, Suby 2.2, pod
Total Flight Time
4600 gyro hours
I reckon China is nearly big enough for you there Dennis.. Best of luck in your endevours

AirScooter

Scott Waggoner
Aircraft
Tandem Dominator-Zenith 701
Total Flight Time
8 minutes, 31 seconds
rivets

rivets

Now THIS is what the forum should be about. Awesome information.

hillberg

Buy all rivits a little long (the longest in the project)as you can cut to exact needed size,Sorta like one size fits all. You buy a single batch and you dont have a zillion bags to rummage through.....

automan1223

Banned
Aircraft
2p Tandem Air Command "Big Red"
Total Flight Time
The good old forums...

The good old forums...

Now THIS is what the forum should be about. Awesome information.

I agree. Back on the OLD #1 version of Rotorcraft.com and the #2 version of Rotorcraft.com there were lots of excellent posts regarding building, construction, builder do's and dont's (along with pilot do's and dont's as well) . After Norm closed up shop that energy was lost. While the Rotary forum was rebuilt from the ashes of that nucleus something is just not the same. Maybe some of the great people have moved on to other stuff or passed away....

I guess there was a lot more going on back a few years ago or we just had a lot more builders out there asking questions.

J

gyro john

Aircraft
phantom U/L aircommand
Total Flight Time
Dennis see any american resteraunts there? there should be at least 2 per town as we have 2 chinese per town. in America

gyro john

Aircraft
phantom U/L aircommand
Total Flight Time
If you got internet go to "M" Level 3.com lots of info on metal repair incl. rivet lenght they should exceed working thickness or metal thickness by 1.25 to 1.50 rivet diameter

DennisFetters

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
582 Commander Elite
Total Flight Time
Dennis see any american resteraunts there? there should be at least 2 per town as we have 2 chinese per town. in America

Hi John,

yes, there are some Western restaurants here in Changsha, but the food is not that great, but you can live on it if you had to. I prefer the Hunan Chinese food here, more healthy. I have a cook/cleaning lady come every day to prepare dinner for me and my friend.

I'm thinking on opening up a Hooters here, I think that would go gangbusters!!

DennisFetters

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
582 Commander Elite
Total Flight Time
Thanks everyone for the help. I remember now, been a long time since I designed something that used rivets I guess.

Remember, its not what you know or remember, but knowing how to find it out!! Thanks again.

Last edited:

CopterBob

Aircraft
Brock style gyrocopter, scratch built
Total Flight Time
Order a copy of "Standard Aircraft Handbook for Mechanics and Technicians", (about $15.00). It has the info you're looking for and everything else you'll need to know about constructing an aircraft. Every homebuilder should have one in his workshop.

DennisFetters

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
582 Commander Elite
Total Flight Time
Order a copy of "Standard Aircraft Handbook for Mechanics and Technicians", (about $15.00). It has the info you're looking for and everything else you'll need to know about constructing an aircraft. Every homebuilder should have one in his workshop.

Yes, I used to have two, but as I said, I lost all my design library in the Corona flood a few months ago while I was in China. I'll order new ones when I visit USA again.