Cabin on a Bensen B8M?

Re:Cabin on a Bensen B8M?

Jose,

I've heard of at least two kitmakers investigating the market for a single-place enclosed machine, but I'll leave it to the guys who've been at this a while to tell you if anyone's ever enclosed a Bensen.

The Montgomerie Merlin, a British kit, is essentially a Bensen-based design with lots of streamlining, although not completely enclosed:

http://www.gyrocopters.co.uk/

What I really want is a single place which can be converted from enclosed to wide-open easily, since I live in the Portland, Oregon area. We have spectacular summers for about three months, and at least half the days of the other nine months it rains!

Hey Paul, I think I have come up with the perfect solution for your problem . . . . Hehhehehe (as Heron would say). Move South.

Hi Joe,

You might take a look at the Falcon I design. Neal has an enclosure for this machine - very nice looking. Although the Falcon is a drop keel machine, Neal has a kit to make the Bensen/Brock a drop keel machine.

The enclosure may work for the stock machines also. The tail surface must be increased over stock and Neal can help.

Neal is a great guy. I spoke with him recently and he's very knowlegable (sp?) and easy to talk to. He's in semi-retirement and doesn't advertise much anymore. You can reach him at : [email protected]

You can see a picture of the FalconI with pod on the Vortech web site under the gyro section - he bought the company.

Cheers,

Mike

Hey, Chuck, I'ved lived in Atlanta, Greenville SC, and Orlando, and enjoyed them all, but I have a son, daughter and granddaughter here now, so relocation is unlikely.

I'm also suffering with Aviation Induced Divorce Syndrome, so my ability to relocate for reasons like weather will be limited for a while. I'm hoping to come through the process with some hope of building a gyro when it's over, and for now, my new apartment is pleasant, relatively inexpensive, close to work, and has a nice, clean garage. (AKA hangar.)

Hey Paul,

I completely understand. All that makes good sense to me. We have to have some fun with each other occasionally though.

Actually, in my opinion, your idea of a readily removable enclosure is a very good idea, even for down South. Keep us posted please on any further developments.

I saw pictures of an enclosed Bensen (in aluminun) from Alaska, pretty neat job.
At the end you cannot call them Bensen anymore, they end up being center line and that changes the whole story.
Don't even think in adding a cabin in that configuration!
Heron

Here is a pic of my Falcon 1. The cabin should be adaptable to almost any air frame.

Attachments

• falcon1.jpg
    falcon1.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 2

That's a nice looking bird Gaylon. Thanx for the post. Do you trailer it with the blades on it?

Thank you,

That pic was taken during a short trip from the airport to the shop, about 1/2 mile (20 mph). I'm building a blade box for longer trips. :)

L8R

Gaylon

Gaylon, What hub, and wheel size are in your falcon?
I am planning to get a more stable wheels.

I have the 6" Hegar wheels and brakes, here is the spects.

HEGAR MANUFACTURING WHEELS

THESE HIGHLY POLISHED SPUN ALUMINUM WHEELS ARE AN ATTRACTIVE ADDITION TO ANY AIRCRAFT AS WELL AS BEING EXTREMELY RELIABLE AND RUGGED.

DIMENSIONS:
WIDTH X DIAM HGT WGT HUB
WIDTH TIRE
WIDTH A B C D E
4" X 5" OFFSET 11" 3.3 LB 2" 4.625" 5" 2.062 2.062 .25 .5
4" X 5" CENTERLINE 11" 3.3 LB 1.5" 4.625" 5" 2.062 2.062 .438 1.5
4" X 6" OFFSET 12" 6 LB 2" 5" 6" 2.19 2.19 .25 .438
4" X 6" CENTERLINE 12" 6 LB 1.5" 5" 6" 2.19 2.19 .438 1.625
6" X 6" OFFSET 13.5" 7.5 LB 2" 6.5" 6" 3.69 2.625 .25 1.062
6" X 6" CENTERLINE 13.5" 7.5 LB 1.5" 6.5" 6" 3.69 2.625 .438 2.062
ANY WHEEL LISTED ABOVE WITH STANDARD HUB $79.95
ANY WHEEL LISTED ABOVE WITH POSI-STOP HUB $84.95*

*POSI-STOP HUB IS PRE-DRILLED AND TAPPED TO ALLOW FOR MOUNTING OF POSI-STOP BRAKE SYSTEM OR AZUSA DRUM-TYPE BRAKE ASSEMBLY. ONLY AVAILABLE FOR 5/8" AXLE

I'm very happy with them. Hey Chuck would you mind to post some pics of your Dominator Tail??? I'm thinking about putting one on my Falcon.

Gaylon

Sorry ??? I didn't mean to overwhelm :) But I just copied it from there web site. Yes I use the 6 X 6.00.

L8R

Gaylon

Gaylon, per our conversation yesterday, I believe you would welcome the addition of a Dominator type tail to your machine.

I have a factory original Bensen enclosure (design by Marion & Doc Springer I believe) featured in the classic action film "the Great Skycopter Rescue"
I would be willing to sell the enclosure reasonably as it needs a deal of cosmetic work.
Tom

Man I would like to see a pic of that. Can you post one? I would like to see the movie too! Road Warrior, and You only die twice are the only movies I knew that had gyros in them.

L8R

Gaylon