Buying a used gyro.

rwdreams

In my search for a suitable used gyro, I would like advice on what to look for. Basicly I know nothing. I've never bought a numbered machine. So I need to be sure paperwork is current an annual is done. But if builder is the owner, do I need an a&p inspector. I can't check it out myself so how would I go about a flight test, is that even a standard precaution?

What machine are you buying? What engine is on it? Pictures rarely show current state of the aircraft so check it out in person. Check all the logs and maintenance records. If it has a rotax 912 or so engine you could have a Rotax A&P check it out. There are condition inspection check lists that you could use as reference and go through the machine to the same level of detail. Is it a dual place gyro to take a test flight? If not you can have the current owner take it around the pattern to show its flight worthy, but that’s limited value in my opinion. Depending on the model there are specific items you can check on for common areas that can be damaged, I.e rotor damage, bent mast, cracks in welds, damaged motor mounts, scraps under horizontal stablizer, bent landing gear, etc. one common issue I found was improper wiring so can check for that and noise in radio system. Use of wire from Radio Shack instead of aviation grade wire.

Last edited:
Registration, Airworthiness certificate, weight and balance, bill of sale.

A title search can be a worthwhile investment to be sure the seller really owns it free and clear.

All good information. It is a dominator tandem with a viking engine and cruiser blades. The engine is at 50 hours, still don't know time on blades. It is in current flying condition with a current annual. I hesitate to take a ride, I'd have no idea. But I could watch it fly. Owner seems forthright. Found it on barnstormers.

Until Jon gets a chance to reply:

At the most rudimentary level: https://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/Search/NNumberInquiry

If you want every sheet of paper ever generated for, or by, the FAA about the aircraft: https://aircraft.faa.gov/e.gov/nd/
There are also professional services that will do it for you that you can find online. AOPA will do that plus they offer escrow service if you'd like to be cautious with out of state parties and big dollar amounts. The bigger the investment, the more it makes sense.

What A&P will work and sign off on a Viking engine for a condition inspection? Do you have someone lined up?