Butterfly to bring back gyroglider training

EI-GYRO

21st Century Crankhandler
When we installed engines on our gyrogliders, we conducted towed flights with the engine
stopped, to check out handling and flair performance before starting the process of
learning to crowhop.
It probably wasn't necessary, but it did reduce the 'unknowns' in our path by one item.

Dean_Dolph

Aircraft
None but enough kits in the garage to keep me busy the rest of my life!
Total Flight Time
Zilch!
...... but it did reduce the 'unknowns' in our path by one item.
Exactly!

Breaking the process down into steps assures that everything is tested, learned and mastered one bit at at time.

Chapter 62 has a Craig Wall type third wheel that is temporarily attached to the keel right under the mast. The student learns what the roll forces feel like by balancing on that wheel to the point that cyclic input in the roll axis become automatic. Once the balancing act is mastered, the wheel is removed and the trainer is towed fast enough to lift off.

shootthrees

Tom Duncan
Aircraft
Tango 2
Total Flight Time
170 Ultralight FW, 116 Gyro, 15 GA

Jens

GyroNew & Paraglider
Aircraft
Paraglider and PPG
Total Flight Time
Some hundreds

phantom

butterfly to bring back gyroglider training

butterfly to bring back gyroglider training

I think gyroglider time saved a lot of us in the days of teaching your self to fly because you can learn rotor handling without having to deal with rudder or throttle and as you get good at just keeping it right side up start to practice in crosswinds and gusty winds, I have had my glider up in winds as high as 70 MPH gusts on 500 feet of rope tied to a stake frozen in the ice during a blizzard and you know when it is time to land when you have no feeling in your feet, if you stay up longer there is risk of frostbite. I put over 200 hours on gyroglider before starting powered flight and I still keep a glider around so that if it is to stormy to fly I can get my fix by kiting in the wind on a rope, I only need 20 feet of visibablity to fly this way.

norm

DennisFetters

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
582 Commander Elite
Total Flight Time
Stopped counting years ago after 5,000
Back in the hay-days, when dinosaurs roamed the earth and we didn't have powered two-place training Gyroplanes, the only thing more dangerous than trying to teach yourself to fly a gyro, was learning on a gyro-glider. But back then, that was all we had, and thats why the race was on to develop a powered gyroplane trainer. Bill Parsons was the first to come up with a good trainer, and I was the first to put them into production and mass training finally became available.

Gyro-towing requires two experienced people to fly one aircraft, one in the aircraft and one in the tow-vehicle, both relying on each other to do the right thing, so you now have twice the chance of someone making a mistake. When one person makes a mistake, there is no way for the other person to correct the other, so there is an accident.

Boom-training is as old as the hills, but it is more safe than cable-tow training, but you do not receive near the experience and training.

The electric prerotator is a great idea, and will make for longer air-time and safer operations, but it will not teach the person about blade-flapping, which is one of the most impotent things to learn. Without a prerotator, the person learns not to flap every takeoff, but with the prerotator, only when the instructor chooses to leave it off.

Those smart ones that take tow-training will benefit, but my prediction is that many people that receive tow-training will develop a false feeling of security in their new skills, and move on to self-taught powered training on their own, and leading to desaster..... just like in the old-days. I know human nature.

Last edited:

Jens

GyroNew & Paraglider
Aircraft
Paraglider and PPG
Total Flight Time
Some hundreds
I don't think we should look at it whether or not gyrogliding is better than something else.
Gyrogliding is one more game - a fun activity, I guess - and one more place to recruit new rotor playmates :first:

GyroDoug

Aircraft
Butterfly Super Sky Cycle
Total Flight Time
While Gyrogliding training can be beneficial for anyone, the reason Larry is developing the program like he is, is to provide an option for people wanting to fly his ultralight model Gyro.

The difference in feel between a heavy two place cabin class gyro (which most people end up getting their training in today) and then transitioning to a very light, open frame, single place machine, can be quite dramatic. The boom trainer has been designed with full communication between the student pilot and the instructor (in the tow vehicle) and allows an experience that is much closer to what it will be like when the transition is made to the students own ultralight machine. It allows training in a very controlled environment and yet with the full communication the student can be involved in what is happening and why and can call for power changes that are made by the speed of the tow vehicle. Granted there is still a transition from being towed to being turned loose but the student is a lot more prepared for the feel that he will experience when he climbs in his own machine.

So far Brian has been having excellent success with this method and it can be a great way to introduce someone brand new to the sport in a very controlled and safe manner and it makes for a less expensive introductory experience for a new person wanting to check it out. I believe a lot of chapters could use this type of system (in a lot of different ways) to help them attract new members.