Butterfly to bring back gyroglider training

GyroDoug

Aircraft
Butterfly Super Sky Cycle
Total Flight Time
Just an FYI for everyone. Larry called me the other day to let me know that he has decided to bring Gyro Glider training back into more use. With the new line of Ultralight Gyro available now and the severe need for more training options he has decided to develop a Gyro Glider training program. He has a dealer in Texas that is working with him to get the details worked out and then he plans to encourage all of his dealers to make this available for people.

While it is primarily being designed to give another training option to our new Ultralight buyers, it will be available to anyone that wants to use it and I believe it will be a great option. I think having glider training available after a chapter meeting would be a great way to get more people to come to a chapter meeting. IT would also be a very controlled way to get a new person started or to help get them interested in getting a powered gyro. I don't want to get into too much detail at this point as the details are still being finalized but soon I should have more information available on this topic.

GyroDoug

Aircraft
Total Flight Time
Outstanding decision Larry! You know....this Larry guy must be a really smart fella.....;).
Larry Neal has a lot of years of experience with gyroplanes and fixed wings. He is an experienced test pilot and a really competent pilot. But most of all, he is a very inspired and ingenious designer that is dedicated to changing the flying world. We really are fortunate to have him on our side. It will be very interesting to see what kind of a program he comes up with.

StanFoster

Aircraft
Helicycle N360SF
Total Flight Time
Doug- I feel you will be tremendous asset to Larry Neil and the Butterfly gyro . The gyro glider training and offering a true ultralight, and you involved is going to help turn things around. It was nice meeting you at Mentone. Stan

Dean_Dolph

Aircraft
None but enough kits in the garage to keep me busy the rest of my life!
Total Flight Time
Zilch!
Doug, are you sure Larry is talking about a glider or a boomtrainer? The reason I ask is that Steve Weir, the Chapter 62 prez, was talking to him recently and Larry asked if ours was for sale. It isn't!

I personally feel the boomtrainer is much more useful although it doesn't give quite the same experience as a glider. It does teach one rotor management and develops all the right cyclic reflexive responses. Craig Wall in Hondo Texas has extensive experience using both and he advises against using the glider. I know in our area that finding a boomtrainer friendly place is difficult let alone finding a place where we could use a glider.

In either case, a trained towing team and good communication is a necessity.

Terry_Smith

Gyroplane Fan
Aircraft
Building a Sportcopter Vortex 582
Total Flight Time
3 - Some training and glider time
I was recently at Larry's hanger, and the glider in question was going to be wired with an electric pre-rotator, so the pilot could get familiar with the "ultralight" model he's developing. The glider is to be attached with a folding boom that Larry designed - it looked very sturdy. Larry has a LOT of interesting developments on the way. And I also finally had my opportunity to fly with Larry on Wednesday evening and Friday morning, a little over 1 week ago. What a ride! The Golden was a blast to fly in. The G-force landing gear made the landings SO smooth. Personally, there's no other gyro I'd rather build and fly. Just going to take a bit of time to get there.

GyroDoug

Aircraft
Total Flight Time
Doug, are you sure Larry is talking about a glider or a boomtrainer?
In either case, a trained towing team and good communication is a necessity.
Dean,

Larry is developing a boom trainer model to be used primarily to help train people who are buying the Butterfly Ultralight Gyros. (But we'll make it available to anyone who wants to get some stick time with a gyro glider trainer) He is looking for inexpensive Gyro frames as he doesn't feel it is really critical what kind of frame is used for this type of a trainer. He could of course use a Butterfly Ultralight frame but that would be more expensive than finding many existing Bensen type frames that may be available for a pretty reasonable price point, and not really necessary for what he has in mind.

As for communication he has plans to have a radio and intercom system wired to the trainer so there will be voice communication available as well as an opportunity for the student pilot to listen to proper radio communication as the training takes place.

I know finding the right location to do this kind of training may be hard in some areas but I have already found the perfect location here in UT. We have a 100' ft wide by 7,500 ft long. It is a non towered airport that averages only 65 aircraft operations per day. It's a perfect facility for that kind of training and we are excited and anxiously awaiting this program to be unveiled.

Friendly

Platinum Member
Aircraft
KB2 & KB4
Total Flight Time
Chapter 20 had the build pictures on our website of the trainer that was built by members of our club. My first flight was on a glider and I hear it will soon be operational again. I hope it is.

Dean,
Why is the boom better than the cable? Are should I say what are the pros and cons of each?

Heron

Platinum Member
Aircraft
Golden Butterfly
Total Flight Time
7.5 h.
Boom goes up and down, cable goes sideways also, it is more complicated but teaches more,
Having electric power and radio com on each model is not big deal. Pre rotation will help in smaller areas of training and radio will make the ride safer and the learning more complete.
Finally some people are opening their eyes . . .
Gyro lessons in groups will be a better way, some on the ground, some on the classroom and some in the air. All corners covered . . .
thanks
Heron

PW_Plack

Aircraft
Sport Copter Vortex 582
Total Flight Time
FW: 200 Gyro: 51
Boom goes up and down, cable goes sideways also, it is more complicated but teaches more...
I think it's a little more subtle than that. A boom trainer attached vis a standard trailer hitch ball could go side-to-side, too, but it's limited in all axes by aerodynamic forces. Get too high, you'll run out of cyclic pitch to go higher; get too far left or right, and aerodynamics will resist, just as a rudder would.

The biggest differences would seem to be the rigidity of the boom, and its much shorter length. You couldn't dive toward the tow vehicle and make it go slack, as you could with a cable.

Heron

Platinum Member
Aircraft
Golden Butterfly
Total Flight Time
7.5 h.
Correct, overall is just less freedom or range of motion.
The carriage is more rigidly atached to the towing vehicle.
Couple of blades for single or dual, mockups to pretend you are flying you own machine as well as ballast to simulate your flying AUW.
It is pretty close of the real thing.
Heron

GyroDoug

Aircraft
Total Flight Time
Video of Glider flying

Video of Glider flying

OK everyone,

Here's what you've been waiting for. Larry's newest Ultralight Training Glider on youtube. Sure looks fun to me. Coming to a location near you! (someday)

The GYRO GLIDER Ultralight Butterfly Trainer.wmv
YouTube - The GYRO GLIDER Ultralight Butterfly Trainer.wmv

The Gyro Glider Ultralight Butterfly Trainer

StanFoster

Aircraft
Helicycle N360SF
Total Flight Time
Doug- I like the looks of that boom trainer. That would have to accelerate a newbies learning curve. Stan

PW_Plack

Aircraft
Sport Copter Vortex 582
Total Flight Time
FW: 200 Gyro: 51
Interesting! This looks like a hybrid between a traditional boom trainer, in which the boom is just a rigid extension of the keel, and a cable-towed glider, which leaves the glider freer to move in pitch.

I guess it would behave more like the cable-towed glider, but without the risk/hassle of the cable going slack...

It would be great to see some detail on the hitch end of the boom. Does it use a standard ball?

Passin' Thru

I could not see it in the video, but I hope he's using the diagonal cable between the tow boom (bow sprit) and the cheek plates. This is very important.

GyroDoug

Aircraft
Total Flight Time
Interesting! This looks like a hybrid between a traditional boom trainer, in which the boom is just a rigid extension of the keel, and a cable-towed glider, which leaves the glider freer to move in pitch.

I guess it would behave more like the cable-towed glider, but without the risk/hassle of the cable going slack...

It would be great to see some detail on the hitch end of the boom. Does it use a standard ball?
Paul,

I believe Larry was using a standard ball hitch on the truck end. Personally I think it would be better to use a pintel hitch. That is what I plan to use on mine. That would provide even more freedom of movement and I would think it would make for a much more secure hookup with zero chance it could ever come off the truck.

Terry_Smith

Gyroplane Fan
Aircraft
Building a Sportcopter Vortex 582
Total Flight Time
3 - Some training and glider time
At :43 into the video, you can clearly see the cable. I recall seeing it attached to the trainer when I was there, though it hadn't yet been strung. A 2-seater version of this would be perfect for a club trainer. And safer, with no cable slack to worry about.