Butt fan pilot/builder looking for the next project.

twistedrisers

Hello everyone and thanks for having me here.

I just joined the community to gain some insight to my next project. I currently build and fly paramotors here in the UK, but now thinking about building a Autogyro. I have plans for both the Honeybee and the Hornet and I leaning toward the Hornet. What do you guys in the know think of it or can you suggest something better for a first build? If I'm honest I would prefer to build in aluminum but I have not seen many aluminum builds whilst looking around.

I have a fairly well equipped workshop and in the past I have build everything from cars to motorcycles, an Alpi Pioneer 300 and lately paramotors. I will add some pictures of past projects, and look forward to picking your brains.

Adam

13925112_1776661325936719_5007630233843378207_n.jpg
117560301_780581576078970_3683540624690408209_n.jpg

13925300_1776661392603379_92738484304424910_n.jpg
121727433_830524391084688_1742612763822860757_n.jpg

Vance

Gyroplane CFI
Aircraft
Givens Predator
Total Flight Time
2400+ in rotorcraft
Welcome to the Rotary Wing Forum Adam.

I am fond of the

Gyrotechnic products.

https://gyrotechnic.com/product-category/kits/

In my opinion their aircraft are on a higher level than most single place products and they have a nice line of parts.

I wish you all the best on your gyroplane adventure.

JETLAG03

Total Flight Time
300+ flexwing (pendulaire) newly trained on gyrocopter ((autogire)11h)
Are you not restricted in the UK re- models permitted?

Countach

Aircraft
CGS Hawk Arrow/Air Command/Gyrobee
Total Flight Time
50 Gyro,200 Fixed Wing
Gyrobee would be my vote for a 1st gyro. Simple to build, wide gear stance and flys great.

BEN S

Aircraft
Sportcopter Vortex "light"
Total Flight Time
200+
I fly Gyros and Paramotors. Well once I got my Gyro out here I stopped flying the paramotor....you will too.
As for gyros, I HIGHLY recommend getting flight training from a qualified gyro instructor in the UK BEFORE moving to the PI. your choice of instructors there will be very limited and self training on a gyroplane is kind of like taking the Bomb Disposal Home Study course....

twistedrisers

I fly Gyros and Paramotors. Well once I got my Gyro out here I stopped flying the paramotor....you will too.
As for gyros, I HIGHLY recommend getting flight training from a qualified gyro instructor in the UK BEFORE moving to the PI. your choice of instructors there will be very limited and self training on a gyroplane is kind of like taking the Bomb Disposal Home Study course....
You think lol. Believe me I'm not that type of guy. I'm a big believer in training and work as a technical diving instructor when not in the UK. The issues with training in the UK seems to be the lack of instructors, as the regulation on Autogyros and experimental craft of any type is a lot tighter.

Now I'm happy to be proven wrong and if there is a secret pool of UK based instructors that are yet undiscovered to me then please speak up now and I will happily give you my money with a big grin on my face. Me and my wife even talked about coming to the US for a spell just to do training.

JETLAG03

Total Flight Time
300+ flexwing (pendulaire) newly trained on gyrocopter ((autogire)11h)
You think lol. Believe me I'm not that type of guy. I'm a big believer in training and work as a technical diving instructor when not in the UK. The issues with training in the UK seems to be the lack of instructors, as the regulation on Autogyros and experimental craft of any type is a lot tighter.

Now I'm happy to be proven wrong and if there is a secret pool of UK based instructors that are yet undiscovered to me then please speak up now and I will happily give you my money with a big grin on my face. Me and my wife even talked about coming to the US for a spell just to do training.
Many instructors here in France, not sure how many speak English but I can always investigate if you are interested

phil

Resasi

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Gyrs, RAF 2000/Mgni/Bnsn/Hrnet/Mrlin/Crckt/MT-03/Lyzlle AV18-A/Prdtor. Pax ArrowCopter
Total Flight Time
100+ gyro, 16,000+ other
Single seat intructors and examiners are very thin on the ground here in the UK. I help out Tony Melody and he did a batch of five two seat pilots converting to single seat at Enstone, but that was a while back.

He has sold his two seat RAF 2000 so can't now do the single seat course which begins with two seat training and ends up on the trainees own single seater. It now seems the avenue is doing the PPL(G) on a two seater, then converting to a single seat. It is unfortunately an expensive way to go for those who only want a single seat gyro.

You may find the cheaper traing option is the US as I would imagine that the Phillipines would accept the US licence. You might have a bit of a dance with Homeland Security though as things have tightened up security wise. Florida is pretty good weatherwise so flying most days. I was learning down at Henstridge near Yeovil so lots of wind and rain which slowed the process a lot. California is pretty good for weather.

Last edited:

Resasi

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Gyrs, RAF 2000/Mgni/Bnsn/Hrnet/Mrlin/Crckt/MT-03/Lyzlle AV18-A/Prdtor. Pax ArrowCopter
Total Flight Time
100+ gyro, 16,000+ other
That certainly is a pretty racy colour, more purple than pink though. Glad you're enjoying, I loved my first gyro ride, it completely hooked me.

twistedrisers

Hi guys, I hope you are all doing OK. I thought I would post a quick update. I made a video of my last lesson for my Father-in-law back in Asia and thought I would share it here as well. Lessons are going great and my instructor is awesome. I'm currently at hour 7 so working towards the 10 I need before I can go solo. I know the video is not great. If I record more I will try to sort out the straps and audio, but the flying is higher priority than the recording of it.

Anyway hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

rcflier

Aircraft
Auto-Gyro MTO Sport 914
Total Flight Time
30+
I am currently training in my own MTO Sport. And I second the choice of a Gyrobee as the safest single.
Plans are free, but you have to "invent" some parts, that were available back in the 90's like a stick assembly.
And suitable head and rotor. I have bought most of the needed parts - only to then suddenly buy an MTO Sport.
So I don't know if I'll build the Gyrobee after all. Give me a shout if you want to take over the project.
I found most of the original Gyrobee website via the "Wayback Machine".
https://web.archive.org/web/20100407092424/http://taggart.glg.msu.edu/gyro/rb1.htm

Cheers
Erik