Build thread on the GT-VX2 Explorer.

Documentation has been accepted by the DAR, inspection is now scheduled for Thur.

We have just finished re-calibration the fuel tanks. It had been done on Sat and the EFIS had accepted it, then we did the taxi trials and engine runs on Sun, Next day fuel gauge not reading? I stink of fuel as draining the tanks from the drain sump was a long process and some invariably spilled...over me. Then had to fill the tanks 7 Litres at a time to re-calibrate the EGIS. In the end the fuel tank contents are now reading correctly.

The stronger spring has now been put into the throttle quadrant as that was allowing the throttle to creep back when left alone.

A charging cable attachment has been added for the new smart charger for the Earth X LIPO battery, the Optimate LFP 4s 10A which which can be left connected to keep the battery fully topped up at all times. We had experienced a situation where we ran the battery down when we were programming the MGL EFIS. The Earth X battery does have a protection that prevents it from completely discharging, but, it then has to be woken up before it can charged properly again.

The engine runs have all gone well, radio for some reason went carrier wave only, after initially testing 5 by 5 at the ramp. Checked today back at the workshop 5X5. Go figure.

Paper work all complete, putting finishing touches to the build log with pictures of me doing stuff. Still have to complete the FAA build log. Few last minute details to do. Am I nervous...does a Bear?

Last edited:
Documentation has been accepted by the DAR, inspection is now scheduled for Thur.

We have just finished re-calibration the fuel tanks. It had been done on Sat EFIS had accepted, then we did the taxi trials and engine runs on Sun, Next day fuel gauge not reading? I stink of fuel as draining the tanks from the drain sump was a long process and some invariably spilled...over me. Then had to fill tanks 7 Litres at a time to re-calibrate the EGIS. In the end tanks are now reading correctly.

Stronger spring have now been put into the throttle quadrant as that was allowing the throttle to creep back if left alone.

A charging cable attachment has been added for the new smart charger for the Earth X LIPO battery, the Optimate LFP 4s 10A which which can be left connected to keep the battery fully topped up at all times. We did have a situation where we ran the battery down when we were programming the MGL EFIS. It has a protection that prevents it from completely discharging but then has to be woken up before it can charge properly again.

The engine runs have all gone well, radio for some reason went carrier wave only, after initially testing 5 by 5 at the ramp. Checked today back at the workshop 5X5. Go figure.

Paper work all complete, putting finishing touches to the build log with picture of me doing stuff. Still have to complete the FAA one. Few last minute details to do. Am I nervous...does a Bear?
Yes, a bear does....can't wait to see you fly Blue, still working to win the lottery so I can have Denis build me a Red...

Been going over all the paperwork we have. Applications, registration, log books, receipts, weight and balance.
Going over the labels on the gyro, cables, safety wiring, nuts bolts, EFIS System, fuel and oil systems, cooling systems, pre-rotating system. The engine runs, radio works, instruments read correctly, taxis straight, POH is to a large extent done, just speed to be tested and finalised, build log now pretty much complete with build photos include, its late and have an early start tomorrow with the Inspection scheduled at 09:00. It's late and I am tired...to bed.

Last edited:
Been going over all the paperwork we have, applications, registration, log books, receipts, weight and balance.
Going over the labels, cables, safety wiring, nuts bolts EFIS System, fuel and oil systems, cooling systems, pre-rotating system. Engine runs, radio works, instruments read correctly, taxis straight, POH is done, build log, build photos, its late and an early start tomorrow. Inspection at 09:00.
Who is your DAR??

Steve Wagner is the the DAR. He arrived prompt at 09:00. He began by going all the way through my written build log with photos. With that completed, we then went through each item of the FAA build log allocating points. These he tallied and confirmed that more than 51% had been done and that the build complied.

He then went through checking the originals of the various documents that he had already seen and approved, which had been uploaded to the AWC Portal. Then he went through various other required documents that had not been required to be uploaded. Looked through the receipts, aircraft, engine, and propellor log books.

Next we went to the gyro and he began a detailed inspection, with his check list, of the various points needed to be covered satisfactorily. There were some questions as he went over the machine.

We then pushed the gyro out side for an engine run, instrument check and a pre-rotation. I went through the exterior inspection check list, got settled into the seat, then went through the preprogramed EFIS pre-start, and start start checklists on the EFIS with Steve.

Started the engine, as always an instant start with a smooth idle, he then went through checking all gauges were functioning and had the various limitations correctly on the gauges. Switched off electrical fuel pump and noted the fall in pressure that checked and confirmed that both aux and engine driven pumps were both functioning. I then went through the different screens to show him the various modes of operation.

Lee Inspection.jpg

With the engine oil sufficiently warmed up I went through a pre-rotation of the rotors up to about 160 RRPM, these spun up nice and smoothly with no belt slip or squeal. Once he had observed that he signalled I could stop them and that when ready I could shut down. Idled down to let the engine cool, checked each ignition switch for allowable fall, then switched off the engine.

Secured the gyro then went back in to complete paperwork. The aircraft log-book was then annotated that it had met all criteria for him to issue the final sticker. He applied it signed, congratulated us and a huge weight was lifted. We had done it!

20220721_114754 2.jpg

With that done. Steve then went over with me the various limitations associated with the special airworthiness certificate for Experimental Amateur Build, the geographical area designated for the phase 1 40 Hrs of flying, and the type of test schedule that would be followed to complete the pilot Operating Handbook, which concluded the airworthiness inspection.

It had been a pleasure to work with Steve during this process, and hopefully, the next one will be Gyro Paul's machine which is ready and waiting.

I cannot begin to say how enjoyable and experience it has been on the build journey, or to thank Denis enough, for his patient kindness and expertise. Denis has spared no effort to make me welcome and to facilitate this build, which due to various circumstances has gone on rather longer than either of us had anticipated.

It has been most instructive to see first hand, the dedication, thought, and effort, Denis has put into the development of yet another high quality kit for the model that now follows on from his 582 powered GT-VX1. The rejection of parts that did not seem to be quite good enough, the re-design, fabrication and improvement of parts that had not met his expectations.

Denis has a single minded purpose to produce the best. The team he has in the shop are all great guys who excel in their various fields, producing the parts and Razor Blades that make up the kits for these two models the GT-VX-1 Scout, and now the 912 and 912ULS GT- VX-2 Explorer.

The flight handling of the Scout was a delight, I now cannot wait to find out how the Explorer performs. If the power that was apparent during taxi tests was anything to go by, it should be a great performing, rugged, cross country single place gyro.

Last edited:
Congratulations! I wish you many happy hours with your new aircraft.
Jim

Congratulations! I wish you many happy hours with your new aircraft.
Jim
Thanks Jim, looking forward to it.
Good luck but should not be a problem. Where are you going to fly off the 40 Hrs?
Thanks Bobby, I was pretty nervous but it went well.

The Phase 1 test area that Steve Wagner had granted is a 25 NM radius that is centred about a point 10NM due West of Mankato KMKT. This includes permission for operations to the following airports, KMKT, Le Sueur (12Y0,) KULM, and KJYG. A very generous chunk of airspace, so I am very happy indeed as Mankato has a busy flight school while the others are very quiet.

Last edited:
Cool, keep us posted on your progress. Eric just passed 35hrs on my Genesis, hoping to get back with my instructor next month and figure out what's next for me.

Bobby

Thanks Jim, looking forward to it.

Thanks Bobby, I was pretty nervous but it went well.

The Phase 1 test area granted is a 25 NM radius entered about a point 10NM due West of Mankato KMKT. This includes permission for KMKT, Le Sueur (12Y0,) KULM, and KJYG. A very generous chunk of airspace, very happy.
Yahoo!!!!! Way to make it happen!

Steve Wagner the DAR arrived at 09:00. He began with going all the way through my written build log with photos, with that completed, we then went through each item of the FAA build log allocating points. These he tallied and confirmed that more than 51% had been done and the build complied.

He then went through checking the originals of the various documents he had already seen and approved, which had been uploaded to the AWC Portal. Then went through various other required documents that had not been uploaded. Looked at the reciepts, aircraft, engine, and propellor log books.

Next we went to the gyro and began a detailed inspection with his check list of the various points needed to be covered satisfactorily. There were some questions as he went through the machine.

We then pushed the gyro out side for an engine run instrument check and a pre-rotation. I went through the exterior inspection check list, got settled into the seat, then went through pre-start, and start start checklists on the EFIS with Steve.

Started the engine, as always an instant start with smooth idle, he then went through checking all gauges were functioning and had the various limitations correctly on the gauges. Switched off electrical fuel pump and noted the fall in pressure that checked both aux and engine driven both functioning. Went then went through the different screens to show him the various modes of operation.

View attachment 1155374

With the engine oil sufficiently warmed up I went through a pre-rotation of the rotors up to about 160 RRPM, these spun up nice and smoothly with no belt slip or squeal. Once he had observed that he signalled I could stop them and that when ready I could shut down. Idled down to let the engine cool, checked each ignition switch for allowable fall, then switched off the engine.

Secured the gyro then went back in to complete paperwork. The aircraft log-book was then annotated that it had met all criteria for him to issue the final sticker. He applied that signed and a huge weight lifted. We had done it.

View attachment 1155375

With that done. Steve then went over with me the various limitations associated with the special airworthiness certificate for Experimental Amateur Build and the area designated for the phase 1 40 Hrs of flying which concluded the airworthiness inspection.

It was a pleasure to work with Steve during this process, and hopefully the next one will be Gyro Paul's machine which is ready and waiting.

I cannot begin to say how enjoyable experience it has been on the build journey, or to thank Denis enough for his patient kindness and expertise. Denis has spared no effort to make me welcome and to facilitate this build, which due to various circumstances has gone on rather longer than either of us had anticipated.

It has been most instructive to see first hand, the dedication, thought, and effort, Denis has put into the development of another high quality kit for a model that follows on from his 582 powered GT-VX1. The rejection of parts that did not seem to be quite good enough, the re-design, fabrication and improvement of parts that did not meet his expectations.

He has a single minded purpose to produce the best. The team he has in the shop are all great guys who excel in their various fields, producing the parts and Razor Blades that make up the kits for these two models the GT-VX-1 Scout and now the 912 and 912ULS GT- VX-2 Explorer.

The flight handling of the Scout was a delight, I now cannot wait to find out how the Explorer performs. If the power that was apparent during taxi tests was anything to go by it should a great performing rugged cross country single place gyro.
Congrats to you and Denis, can't wait to see some video of it flying.

Congrats to you and Denis, can't wait to see some video of it flying.
Thanks, we were hoping for some this morning but...

...hoping to get back with my instructor next month and figure out what's next for me.
You'll do fine Bobby. Just take it slow, read the notes I sent, make sure very light winds. Just wheel balance till you feel comfortable, low hops until you feel comfortable, and it 'll work out OK.

Headed to the airport (Mankato) early this morning to see how Blue behaves. Unfortunately this coincided with the dawn flight of students from the School.

She accelerates very briskly, as expected, and lifted off very quickly. Even without full power, I was taking things gently, the rate of climb exceeded any other gyro I've flown. Similarly to Denis's Black, she has fairly light control forces. I do like my take off screen with those two large gauges side by side of Engine and Rotor RPM for easy reference.

Had a student and a Citation inbound, couple of school aircraft about to take off, and I knew Denis had business to do back at the office, so I decided that with a new aircraft we would find a quieter spot on another day.

A student took the runway as I turned short final but no worries with that, I needed to land long anyway. The landing felt very standard, nothing unusual there. I had wanted Denis to fly but he confirmed he had work to do so it was back to the gyro nest.

Taxiing was a slight concern to me because even with the idle back to 1700rpm I had to use brakes to keep taxi speed down. I have been taxiing with the rotors parked, I usually have them turning and am wondering if that might have a better braking effect. My worry is overheating the brakes, but I may be worrying on that score needlessly.

Unfortunately I leave with Denis and Blue tomorrow for Oshkosh, I then leave to head south to Tampa to see son and granddaughters, before returning for some appointments in UK, so Denis will have the onerous task of doing some exploration of Blue's performance on his own, poor chap.

Once again had forgotten to start the Go-Pro on the gyro, so the first flight remains unseen except for Denis, the Airport Manager and a few spectators. But what massive delight it was to be airborne in a second build to our first Hornet a few years ago. A gyro that indeed was the very early predecessor to Denis's line of ever improved models that lead to the GT-VX1...and now this the VX-2.

Culmination of a dream, made possible by Denis and Gyro Technic. Thank you so much Denis.

Last edited:
Leigh,
The pleasure has been all mine!

For those of you who have not had the chance to meet Leigh in person, you are missing out!
The warmest, most charming personality I have ever encountered!

If it wasn't for Leigh's desire and push to get a GT with a 912 on it, The VX-2 would still be residing in the "One of these days" category!

Cheers all!

Time to start packing for Oshkosh and Mentone!
Stop by booth 924 and see Leigh's blue baby! (Static only unfortunately, till we get the phase 1 complete.)

Denis

Headed to the airport (Mankato) early this morning to see how Blue behaves. Unfortunately this coincided with the dawn flight of students from the School.

She accelerates very briskly, as expected, and lifted off very quickly. Even without full power, I was taking things gently, rate of climb exceeded any other gyro I've flown. Similarly to Denis's Black she has fairly light control forces. I do like my take off screen with those two large gauges side by side of Engine and Rotor RPM.

Had a student and a Citation inbound, couple of school aircraft about to take off, and I knew Denis had business to do back at the office so decided that with a new aircraft we would find a quieter spot on another day. A student took the runway as I turned short final but no worries with that, I needed to land long anyway. The landing felt very standard, nothing unusual there. I had wanted Denis to fly but he confirmed he had work to do so it was back to the gyro nest.
Excellent aviation decision making Leigh.

Your concern about the brakes is good and something to keep an eye on.

I have had the brakes on a Cavalon fade and become useless.

Fortunately there are lots of things you can do to improve the brakes if you find it is a problem.

I am so excited for you Leigh and look forward to seeing your aircraft and visiting with Denis at AirVenture and Mentone.

Excellent aviation decision making Leigh.

Your concern about the brakes is good and something to keep an eye on.

I have had the brakes on a Cavalon fade and become useless.

Fortunately there are lots of things you can do to improve the brakes if you find it is a problem.

I am so excited for you Leigh and look forward to seeing your aircraft and visiting with Denis at AirVenture and Mentone.
Thanks Vance, brake fade is what concerns me. The brakes on Denis's Black are very effective, but a lighter gyro and smaller engine. I am not that familiar with these brakes, but Denis as both manufacturer and operator will soon be able to judge.

At present idling at 1700rpm seems smooth and comfortable at that setting, but Rotax does say not to do prolonged idle at low RPM's, for instance when waiting for the oil to come up to temp.

We are presently having quite a long wait for that happen so we are going to put in the thermostat bypass to bring it up quicker.

Last edited:
Thanks Vance, brake fade is what concerns me. The brakes on Denis's Black are very effective, but a lighter gyro and smaller engine. I am not that familiar with these brakes but Denis as manufacturer and operator will soon be able to judge.

At present idling at 1700rpm and seems smooth and comfortable at that setting, but Rotax does say not to do prolonged idle, for instance when waiting for the oil to come up to temp.

We are presently having quite a long wait for that so going to put in the thermostat bypass to bring it up quicker.
Some unsolicited thoughts on gyroplane brakes.

Brakes when you are stopped are not making heat so there is no problem with a long engine warm up.

With an engine idling fast the prop may push the gyroplane forward faster than we want to go.

We drag the brakes to manage this and the friction makes heat that must be dissipated somehow.

The hotter they get the better they dissipate heat so the easy answer is to make everything manage the heat (pads, calipers, caliper seals, brake lines and disks). Finding a pad that will handle the heat should not be difficult and managing it in the rest of the system just takes a little care in design.

If you are almost there using the wheels to add to the heat absorption ability of the rotors may get you there. It will just require a change in the way the disks are mounted to the wheels.

At Santa Maria I taxi close to a mile from my hangar to runway three zero.

When I have a 15kts tail wind that adds to the challenge.

The Predator’s brakes manage this pretty well and if they start to get hot I can always stop briefly to let them cool.

Unlike an airplane we have the rotor to slow us down from our limited touchdown speed so the brakes only role is to manage the excess thrust from the propeller.

Brakes on a gyroplane are not like the brakes on a motorcycle that have to turn the kinetic energy into heat repeatedly so the design criteria is relatively simple.

Here at Oshkosh, what a fantastic airshow. Previously only seen on Youtube the real thing is pretty awesome.

The tent was up and started as soon as we arrived to race the storm. Just managed to get it up before we were driven into the trailer by high winds and torrential rail almost as good as those Florida pop-ups that grace Bensen Days with their presence.

Right now with Denis and Gyro Paul explaining gyro to the 'woffo's.' (Wafo that thing do.)

The Black Blue and Purple on show... actually if we had thought a little we could have demonstrated the colour range a pilot goes when they mess up and ball-up a landing.20220725_095533.jpg

Last edited:
Here at Oshkosh, what a fantastic airshow. Previously only seen on Youtube the real thing is pretty awesome.

The tent was up and started as soon as we arrived to race the storm. Just managed to get it up before we were driven into the trailer by high winds and torrential rail almost as good as those Florida pop-ups that grace Bensen Days with their presence.

Right now with Denis and Gyro Paul explaining gyro to the 'woffo's.' (Wafo that thing do.)

The Black Blue and Purple on show... actually if we had thought a little we could have demonstrated the colour range a pilot goes when they mess up and ball-up a landing.
Hope to see you all tomorrow. I left Saturday at 11:30 and arrived at AirVenture at 3:30 Monday.